200 SERIES AND EOTOPO

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 11:41
ThreadID: 143298 Views:7898 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all,
for those that know here is the situation, We have recently purchased a 2017 200 series Landcruiser vx, what i need to know is can I down load the explore oz map into the Cruiser, as the maps do not seem to have been upgraded since new, and I thought that with the new maps from explore now available, that I may be able to put them straight into the Toyota system on there, little sd card that they use for mapping.
Is there any way of doing this and has anyone done it .
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 12:16

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 12:16
Hello

You cant use the current EOtopo Maps in any other program other than EO Traveller (as stated on the
EOTopo page)

"The mapset is available for purchase and download for exclusive use in the ExplorOz Traveller app."

so they wont work in whatever program Toyota has going - you will have to contact Toyota and see what maps are available for that specific unit....or replace the unit with something that will run EO Traveller or alternatively use (for example) a tablet/ipad with EO Traveller for navigation/trip recording.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639600

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:00

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:00
thanks Greg , I already run it on a tablet so that is not a problem, I just thought I may be able to get around not having to buy the latest maps from Toyota which are already 2 years old, and not getting any younger as my system is now 5 years old and if the bloke at Toyota, is correct then this will be the last update for the 200 series, as he explained it to me the 300 is now here and has a different system.
I just thought I could cut corners but alas no such luck. thank you for your help
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918674

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 17:06

Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 17:06
I think you will find the map updates are different to the model updates. They are still supporting back to 2004 model 100 and Prados.
FollowupID: 918684

Reply By: Member - Soft-Roader - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 14:21

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 14:21
No, and what you're seeking should be an easy thing to do, but it is not. There is no mapping system that will be able to project onto your LC screen. Nor any other Toyota for that matter. You either need a CarPlay system and project through that (in which case you're looking at a new head unit) or have to do what most do that want this feature - buy a new head unit. Even then, you will need that head unit able to download Apps including ExplorOz.

After all that expense, it's far more worthwhile and handy to buy an iPad (Cel and Wi-Fi as you want GPS) and a RAM mount. That way, you still have an ipad (movies, internet, whatever) that is portable, but can meet your navigation desires.
Lachlan

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639602

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:06

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:06
Hi Lachlan, thank you for your input I am very much interested in the RAM mount as I already use a Samsung Tablet and have done so for many years.
It would have been nice to put the explore oz system straight into the Toyota but it is not to be. So the tablet and Ram mount seem the way to go.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918675

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 09:10

Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 09:10
Hi Lachlan,
I have fitted an Advanced ICE unit to my LC200 (2018 VX). This retains all original Toyota hardware and mapping , but allows you to go to the ICE system with a "long press" of the NAV button. From there, you have much, much, much improved street mapping (iGo), or off-road Hema mapping via OziExplorer (just not ExplorOz). The install was a little involved but their videos explain it very well!).
FollowupID: 918679

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 17:05

Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 17:05
I have a 2016 200 VX with the EC offroad unit. It was plug and play to fit and activated the same way. Long press of the NAV button. It is an android device that takes over the screen.

I use Memory Map, Hema Maps, BOM radar and lots of other android apps.

It also supports Android auto and Apple car play. I havent tried EO but it will work the same as on a tablet. Touch screen and all.

It supports things like Hey Google- directions to Dargo, Hey google Nearest petrol station etc etc.
FollowupID: 918683

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:02

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:02
Hi Toyota has an update map system my brother updated his. Cheers
AnswerID: 639604

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:13

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 18:13
My local Toyota dealer can only provide a 2019 map up date as from last Thursday, and they said that is there latest that they know about at a cost of $290, could you let me know what year his is please and I'll let my local toyota people run one down for me. if its younger.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918676

Follow Up By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 21:06

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 21:06
Hi Brodie my brothers LC 2013 mod and he put in last year he said if u want to keep up u can do it every year. Did not tell me cost.
FollowupID: 918678

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 19:05

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 19:05
Don’t know if you’re interested in upgrading, Broodie, but these units are available for different Landcruiser models.

I bought one for my 79 series & have since downloaded EO Traveller from Google Play.

Information is a bit light on at purchase, but there’s plenty of You Tube instructional videos for different functions.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639605

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 13:18

Friday, Feb 25, 2022 at 13:18
Hey Bob can you pop up a photo of the ExplorOz Traveller app running on that - and would you mind confirming exactly what model of head unit it is from their range? It's a bit confusing on their website what's what...
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918681

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:39

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:39
Hi Brody,

I have installed a Digi Options 10" Android screen (AND3-L05) and this runs basically anything you can get on an Android phone that is downloadable from the Playstore.

I can simultaneously run ExplorOz, Google Maps and IGO8, though it does run slowly with 3 mapping programs open. Very easy to see the 10" touchscreen screen, makes navigation a lot easier than dash mounted devices.

I mainly use ExplorOz (offroad) or Google maps for navigation while also running WikiCamps. Can also have anything like email, weather apps etc... on the 10" screen, along with multiple cameras (rear, van) and phone bluetooth.

Its not perfect and has the occasional app lockup (rare) but overall extremely happy with it after several years of use.

Cheers
AnswerID: 639660

Sponsored Links