Symbols for cultural heritage in places

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 08, 2022 at 22:29
ThreadID: 143361 Views:4964 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The ability to create new and edit existing POIs is a great addition in version 7 of EO Traveller.
I was recently adding some POIs including photos for places that were part of the Batton Hill bush tucker tour and was struggling to find a representative marker. It would be nice to augment the symbol library with place markers for cultural heritage , to indicate points of both European settlement and first nations' cultural significance. There are UNESCO recognised symbols, for cultural property , 'buildings, historic places, monuments, and artifacts' and another for intangible cultural heritage i.e., 'a practice, representation, expression, knowledge, or skill'.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 21:00

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 21:00
Hi Warren,
Please use the Help Desk and select "Suggestion" for this type of thing
but .... I recall verifying the Places you added - these didn't fit our system terribly well. I kept a few and assigned them using the "Tourist Attraction" marker - but I think I returned the others back to Private as I didn't see the relevance/or couldn't make them fit our system I don't recall exactly it was a few weeks ago and I've probably reviewed over 3000 Places since then.

Seeing your comment here, I realise that most of your markers were for "intangible" things. The ExplorOz Places system is only for "tangible" things are are fixed and remain intact and not seasonal. These can be man-made structures or natural landforms.

We have recently update the POI types and symbology to expand the specificness of available Places and you can use:

Here's some

1. Tourist Attraction (for non-specific points of interest such as a plant/natural landform that has a plaque/sign or is a point of known cultural significance). You can add Tourist Attraction as a secondary Feature to other Place Types (eg. mark as a Mountain, or Lake and you can add Tourist Attraction).
2. Historic Site - use for any cultural site whether European or Aboriginal even if nothing visible at the location today
3. Ruin - use for any visible structural ruin of dwelling/building even if just footings
4. Waypoint (for non-specific locations that don't fit any of the other 77 Place types)
5. Art Site (can be petroglyphs, carvings, graffiti etc) can be European or Aboriginal (historic or modern)
6. Gallery/Museum (for an actual bricks/mortar venue whether free or paid)
7. Activity Venue (a playground, skate park, theme park, golf course, bowling club, activity centre)
8. Entertainment (a cinema, music house, theatre, night club)

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639797

Sponsored Links