Article Comment: Normanton to Coen via Kowanyama

Are there any fuel stops between Coen and Normanton. Considering doing it on a bike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 13:47

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 13:47
Mugrave roadhouse would be your closest stop for fuel after you leave Kowanyama.
AnswerID: 639870

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 15:41

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 15:41
You would want a fuel range of 400kms for the longest stretch. This would involve going Coen, Musgrave, Pormpuraaw, Kowanyama, Normanton. Longest stretch without fuel is Kowanyama to Normanton.

It may not be fuel that stops you. It is possible that Pormpuraaw & Kowanyama may be closed, but if you contact their town office or police station they may give permission to just stop for fuel?

Between Pormpuraaw & Kowanyama you have to cross the Mitchell & Alice Rivers, which should be ok later in the year. We crossed in late July & it was easy & not very deep & with a solid bottom (but was good to see locals crossing it before we attempted it). Earlier in the year could be a very different story.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639874

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 09:59

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 09:59
Hi Cuppa,

Going via Pormpuraaw involves going to the west coast, and not the most direct route. Going via The Burke Development Road straight through from Musgrave to Normanton is more direct. It may involve longer distance between fuel stops, but as the communities may still be closed, you may not have a choice.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918955

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:39

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:39
Hi Macca, you are of course correct about the Dixie Track (Artemis to Dunbar) & then the BDR to Normanton) being the most direct & shortest route .

But ... the OP is asking about fuel supplies along the way for a motorcycle. There would be no fuel availability between Musgrave & Normanton if taking that route the distance would be close to 500kms which I assumed (possibly incorrectly) would be more than the fuel range on many motorcycles. (I would probably feel happier having at least a 600km range for that trip).

If going that way checking
River crossing heights before leaving Musgrave would be wise - look down the list for for Mitchell R at Dunbar.

Hence the only other option 'cross Cape' route being as I suggested, as even going down to Mareeba on the PDR & then out to Chillagoe & the BDR would leave a distance between fuel stops (Chillagoe to Normanton) of 560kms. (and some long stretches of deep bulldust/ deep sloppy conditions if wet between Dumdruff & Dunbar - either way very 'bike unfriendly')

OP might need to take the longer bitumen route from Mareeba to Normanton via Mt Surprise etc which would have sufficient fuel stops along the way (if I am correct about bike fuel range & Pormpuraaw & Kowanyama were not possibilities).

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 918956

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 09:53

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 09:53
Hi Steve,

Are you able to carry a 5 Litre fuel container? I did a fair bit of Motorcycle Touring on bitumen and carried a 5 Litre container of fuel on my trailer. I know highway touring is different to “off road” touring and space is limited.Musgrave Roadhouse on the PDR will be your only fuel stop before heading South West towards Normanton. The distance from Musgrave to Normanton is approx 488 kms. so you will need enough fuel to cover that distance. Not sure of your bikes fuel range, but you may need a 10 Litre container, and not a 5 Litre one. There is no fuel between Musgrave and Normanton/Karumba.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639878

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:52

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:52
Macca, hadn't seen this response of yours when I replied to you above. Yep it all depends upon possible fuel range.

FollowupID: 918958

Reply By: Member - Happy Steve - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:47

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:47
Thanks for the info
AnswerID: 639879

Reply By: Member - Happy Steve - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:48
Thanks for the feed back
AnswerID: 639880

Sponsored Links