Mulgaria and the Lake Torrens track to Andamooka since BHP purchase?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 11:59
ThreadID: 143414 Views:6492 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
In 2019 we travelled Farina, Wichelina, Mulgaria and then via the Lake Torrens track to Andamooka.
At that time, Mulgaria was trucking out the last of their cattle due to the drought.
Since then, BHP Billiton has purchased the property. We would like to take that route again in a few weeks time.
Has anyone spoken to BHP Billiton re permission to transit Mulgaria?
I will try and ring them next week, but it might help if I had a heads up on their attitude.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 12:09

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 12:09
That's weird: I was just looking at that very route, and asking myself the same question!

I look forward to the answers and comments that come in.

GeorgeM
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639869

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:18

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:18
Interesting Peter, was not aware it was sold.

We have in the past had approval from the owner, but each time stopped from rain.

In the end he was not charging anything, as like he said he was mainly bases at his Naracoorte property and gave up on people not paying.

All that he said was use common sense, if it’s wet, or been wet, please don’t use the track.

I know that when mining companies buy up those stations, it’s only for one thing…water and usually run the station as it’s been previously run.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639872

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:30

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:30
I understand that one of the specific problems at Mulgaria was the lack of a reliable water source, so that would not have been why BHP purchased it.
I will post a few track pics in a new post...
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918949

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 00:30

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 00:30
G'day Explorers

I actually don't know the region or the area being talked about, so I probably have no right to an opinion on what may or may not be going to happen regarding access or use of ' the track' in question.

But if a mining company buys any land holding anywhere especially in what is considered remote country and by all accounts land/country that is lacking in reliable water ~ the area has something in the ground worth digging up, much of the inland Pilbara was once vacant or unoccupied Crown Land, pastoral leases and Indigenous community reserves and a few National Parks.

Now days miners have tenure and Crown Land as such is being swallowed up under 'Exploration Lease' titles, I am not suggesting BHP or any of the others (miners) can't and don't run cattle or grow fodder crops on their land holdings, they all run big pastoral holdings.

Maybe I am totally wrong and maybe BHP will be going into the Truffle growing business seeing Truffles are in the ground and they have to be dug out of the ground, makes sense, sorry makes Money!

Safe travels : Joe
FollowupID: 918953

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 08:15

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 08:15
Hi Joe

The area of concern is in the Northern Pastoral area of South Australia.

Over the last few years, a number of pastoral properties in this area and further afield have been sold and purchased for one commodity only that lies underground, it’s not minerals but H2O……life giving water and critical for the running of the mine site.

Roxby Downs it the worlds largest Uranium mine, and the by products that are also mined there cover the full costs of running the site…..gold and copper.

The full body of the ore is still unknown, as every time the do new testing sites, they are still in the same motherload, and at this time stretches more then 80 kilometres south from Roxby Downs and past Woomera.

There were plans on the table to make this the largest open cut mine the world has seen, and so large that the overburden would have been that high, it would have been a man made mountain that would have changed the weather pattern for the north of South Australia.

I know of 3 such stations that have been swallowed up by BHP and all are still leased back to the previous owners on a peppercorn lease and still run cattle and normal station life.

Not sure if Roxby Downs ever gets much publicity outside of South Australia, but the work behind the scenes that is taking place is mind blowing and will never be completed in our lifetime.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918954

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:35

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 14:35

Cheers,
Peter OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639873

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 18:09

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 18:09
Looks a great drive
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918950

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 18:28

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 18:28
I would expect to see some wash outs after the rain in January. The grader is working now between Mulgaria and Farina.
We used the southern track between Mulgaria and Lake Torrens. Not too much traffic goes that way.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918951

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 20:38

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 20:38
Pies and cream buns at Farina !!!!!! Yum !!!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918952

Reply By: MickO - Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 22:22

Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 22:22
Good to hear the track may be open again. My last time on the track was too many years ago. Will be watching for your outcome P & M.

Closed for all time!

Cheers. Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639876

Follow Up By: Life Member - Woodsy - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:48
I travelled this track over 30 years ago on my own (plus dog) and it was a great drive
After Mulgaria on the way to Farina I noticed strong signs of copper in the roadside rocks
Dunno whether means anything

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918957

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:13

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:13
I have just telephoned Mulgaria and permission was granted to transit the property, provided the roads are open at the time.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639895

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:47

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:47
I have sent a message to one of my contacts living in Andamooka on track conditions, but have not heard back from them yet, but when I do, will let you know Peter.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918975

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:38

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:38
Appreciate that Stephen.
They had some more rain a few days ago, bit we don't plan on being there for about 3 weeks, so there is still time for things to change either way, as is always the case.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918976

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 19:53

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 19:53
Still waiting for a reply Peter, sounds like they are out of phone range.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918980

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:20

Thursday, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:20
Hi Peter

There has been no local information from the last couple of months but was told there could be some wash always from the recent rain.

They said there could be an update within the next month or so when people start travelling again.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919004

Sponsored Links