Reliable Air Couplings for Compressor

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 16:38
ThreadID: 14345 Views:1844 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of a reliable air coupling for use with the onboard compressor?

I currently have female shutoff couplings under the bonnet, at the rear of the car and on the end of the air hose so you can change over your air tools/accessories.

I am using
Jamec PEM as on page 1 of this catalogue.

Over the last few months, I have had two of them fail, where the inner air stop and seal assembly rotate sideways a bit and don't seal when you remove the hose under pressure. This is no real inconvenience if you are wanting to just pump up tyres, but a real P.I.T.A. when wanting to keep pressure up to run airlockers. Even when you release all the pressure and push them back down, they never want to reseat properly.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a reliable coupling. Cheaper options (yeah, yeah, get what you pay for) would be best as I need to replace 3 female and 3 male couplings.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:14

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:14
I've been using the 310 series connectors on my 4wd for about 15 years with absolutely no problem. I do fit an appropriately sized rubber chair foot over the female fitting on the truck when it is not in use as it keeps the dirt and dust out which may be where you are getting the problem. If you stick the male fitting in with dirt or dust in the hole you will cause sealing probs.
My fittings are right at the back of the truck copping all the dirt and dust.
AnswerID: 66313

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:27

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:27
Thanks Pete
FollowupID: 327121

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 20:33

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 20:33
Or use a condom to keep dust out.
I some times on the work tools need to push the inside of the female fitting in while under pressure to get it to seat properly.

FollowupID: 327135

Follow Up By: rolande- Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 23:00

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 23:00
Ummmm.. Bernie. I think the question was about air tools :) :) :)

FollowupID: 327148

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:26

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 18:26

I use the old fashioned RYCO brass fittings exclusively and never have any worries.

AnswerID: 66315

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 19:59

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 19:59

Agree with Roachie, you can't go past Ryco fittings. We've been using them for years, with few problems. The male fittings can wear out and leak, with a lot of use, or abuse.(No pun intended here, but ain't it the truth!)

By their design, the Jamec collect dust, and jam up the locking mechanism. There is another coupling available, Nitto, I think, but know nothing about them.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 66322

Reply By: PerthGQ - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 20:09

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 20:09
Good industrial couplings can be bought from SMC pneumatics or Festo, both found in most capital cities. Prices might be a couple of dollars more but very good quality. I've got Festo couplings and with heaps of dirt etc never been a problem. Just my two cents..Keith
AnswerID: 66323

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:33

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:33
Another vote for RYCO airline fittings.... Been using them for 20-odd years...
Several yrs. ago, my Bro-in-Law (who is a builder) mentioned to me that he'd been having problems with fittings (can't remember which brand/type), & I suggested that he give the Ryco ones a try... He did, & now, like myself, he uses no other but Ryco, & swears by (not at) them... As do I...

Regads, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 66336

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:25

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:25
Cool, thanks guys. Looks like Ryco is the go. Got what I paid for as the other ones I knicked from work.
AnswerID: 66389

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)