That Question Again- What Modifications Should I do?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 07:19
ThreadID: 143467 Views:4422 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I got asked again this morning the following question.

"I'd like to come do a tour with you, probably not June 2022, but 2023, what modifications should I do to my vehicle in preparation for a crossing of the Simpson Desert with you?"

I'm about to undertake my 23rd crossing as a tour leader and my answer is "As few as possible."

In my experience it is the heavily and especially hastily modified vehicles that suffer the most - I can tell you quite a few horror stories.

So if you keep the load light and don't go stupid with the amount of stuff you carry and if you don't drag a trailer.

Then the main things are-
Car in good condition, serviced and maintained
Tyres with preferably at least 70% tread
Suspension in good condition
Sufficient fuel to complete the crossing- preferably in the tanks not jerry cans if possible. (Mt Dare has a web page with great recommendations)
Min. 25 L water per adult
Cargo barrier for safety
One snatch strap per car and means to connect it to a rated recovery point/s
Some critical spares- hoses, belts fuses

This is pretty good advice for a private convoy too, except that due to what I carry for everyone, you may like to add some things that are shared and spread across several vehicles eg. a bit more water 30L per adult. (this is really only in case you get stuck for a few days waiting for the track to dry). recovery boards, tyre repair, compressors etc. What do you recommend for a convoy?

Many people are concerned that they need lots of recovery gear but if each vehicle carries a little it is plenty. The main trick about recovery is this one - avoid having to do it.

Some general rules of thumb.
If you are spinning your wheels on the sand, deflate more. You should be able to ascend most Simpson Dunes at very low speeds. If you can't without spinning ,then your tyres are too hard.
In the gibber country or where there are no sand dunes, do not drive off the road to avoid the water. Do not get even close to the edge of the road. If there is water across the road, stay on the hard packed road.
In the sand dune country where there is extensive water in the swale (not just puddles)- do not drive through the water. Drive on the sand and detour around the water. Always detour north. Never drive to a point further into a bog than you have recovery gear to reach to.

The Canning is a different story.
Please feel free to add comments and suggestions.
Olsen's Tours and Training

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 09:16

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 09:16
Good advice all round. My son has a stock standard Hilux Sr5, he had no trouble crossing the Simpson. He only got stuck once because he chose to go off the main track up one dune (not Big Red), and got stuck at the top. Needed a snatch to get going again.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640004

Reply By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:24

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:24
We did a solo crossing of the Simpson west to east in a mostly standard vehicle running standard skinny tyres. Got stuck once, because I was daydreaming! Loved the trip. Got to Birdsville and watched as a horde of 'tough' trucks came into town from the East. 6 inch lifts loud exhausts 33 inch tyres twin overhead snorkels etc. Marketing marvels. I expect they will be bragging they did the 'Simmo' in 2WD.
AnswerID: 640007

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 06:51

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 06:51
Yeah, and the one’s doing in 2WD or spinning in 4WD are the biggest cause of corrigations which turn into whoops in the sand.
FollowupID: 919095

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 14:37

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 14:37
Hmm, why detour N and not S? 2. Have done Rig Rd with a 900kg camper E to W. Reckon a 1500kg van could do it W to E? Thoughts?
And 3, how is the Canning different apart from lower dunes? Cheers... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640010

Follow Up By: Olsen's Tours and Training - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 17:00

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 17:00
Hi Warrie,

Thanks for the chat on the phone.

Q : Why detour N and not S?
A: Lakes fall to the south so stay wetter in the south longer

Q: Have done Rig Rd with a 900kg camper E to W. Reckon a 1500kg van could do it W to E?
A:Yes I do. Deflate to 300mm foot print on all tyres for the soft stuff. Take it slow. enjoy

Q: How is Canning different apart from lower dunes?
A: Average height of dunes is not dissimilar to middle of Simpson but perhaps looser, steeper and more scalloped and some have tight turns at the bottom. More scalloped perhaps because vehicles are heavier, and not deflated as much. People seem scared to deflate sufficiently on the Canning due to long interdunal travel distances and desire, for God knows what reason, to travel fast between dunes.
Detour north rule not applicable on the Canning. Canning is a battle of survival of the vehicle. Best approach is be light as possible, travel as slowly as possible, stop every few hours on the corrugations to let suspension (shockies) cool. So suspension modifications of more benefit due to extra weight and high shock temperatures. More oil, remote cannisters, big bore, that kind of thing.
Olsen's Tours and Training

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 919090

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 21:57
I did Mitchell Plateau and previously had read this forum and one comment was to stop every 20 mins and let the shocks cool and the passengers recover. Very good advice. A You tube by Mongel Dog Productions? is titled Disaster on the Canning. Well it was for a D Max which snapped the rear axle 500km from Wiluna. It seems that every man and his dog is posting their Go Pro videos. COVID meant one could watch a lot and glean useful tips. Safe travels everyone in 2022. The Dry travel season is about to start once it cools down.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 919091

Sponsored Links