No map when out of phone service

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 14:14
ThreadID: 143479 Views:4425 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all.
Not sure if I've missed something but can't get any maps when not in phone service? This was the reason for purchase.
Cheers ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:23

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:23
I assume you are talking about Google Maps - yes you have to have internet connection to use the maps as they are not downloaded to the phone in normal use - they come in over the airwaves.

If you know where you are going in advance you can download the relevant map to your phone (or device) and it will run off that map but you have to stay on that map - not sure how many you are allowed to download in advance but I know it is not many.
AnswerID: 640022

Reply By: Member - Dick L - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:28

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:28
If you are talking about ExplorOz then you need pay for and down load the EOTopo 2021 Offline maps using the Data Manager
AnswerID: 640023

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:31

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 at 15:31
Adrian,

Are you referring to ExplorOz Traveller?

If so you will need to purchase & download the offline maps. Your device will need to have a GPS or at least a Bluetooth GPS if it doesn’t.

Regards

TrevorDavid

Edit.. Sorry Dick, you posted as I was typing.
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640025

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2022 at 08:57

Thursday, Mar 31, 2022 at 08:57
Sorry Adrian, not meaning to be offensive in any way, but you have certainly missed something when posing your question. You don’t say what you are asking about? Are you asking about Google Maps, Exploroz Traveller, Hema Maps etc. being a little bit more precise with your question may be more helpful to those who try to answer.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640035

Follow Up By: Adrian Boxhall - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 14:43

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 14:43
Gday Macca. Not offended. Thought I was on the "Exploreoz traveller" only forum. Another bloke replied and suggested using off-line maps. Works but cannot zoom in for 4wd tracks. Can zoom in when online but no good when trying to find a track with no service. Cheers ??
FollowupID: 919116

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 15:13

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 15:13
Adrian have you downloaded all three offline maps - LoRes Pack, HiRes Pack and XHiRes Pack.

You do this by tapping on the Hamburger menu top left of the map screen then Data Manager and each Map Pack.

You need to have good internet access and have a good amount (5GB) of memory available and a lot bit of time. Once this is done you should be able to zoom up to 18 and see all the tracks.

OFFLINE MAPS
The app also uses the EOTopo mapset for its offline map source. However, if you wish to use the app offline you need to purchase EOTopo licence to download all 3 files that make up the mapset (LoRes, HiRes, XHiRes). Once these files are downloaded, your map screen will allow seamless, smooth zooming from Level 1 – Level 18 (map scale 1:2,000, otherwise referred to as 2K) for the whole of Australia. The complete offline EOTopo mapset shows the same detail as you can see when using the online source.
If you don’t purchase the EOTopo licence and only install the LoRes pack, you will find that when you are offline you can only view up to zoom Level 9 (instead of up to Level 18) and you’ll get a message “More offline maps available”.
FollowupID: 919118

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 09:43

Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 09:43
Adrian,

This is technically not an Exploroz Traveller “only” Forum.Exploroz Traveller is a Mapping App produced and maintained by the Admins that also maintain the Exploroz Forum website. You do not have to have or use the Exploroz Traveller or Exploroz Tracker apps in order to be part of the Exploroz Forum.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919120

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2022 at 11:34

Thursday, Mar 31, 2022 at 11:34
Assuming you are using the app

Touch on the folded map icon top right

Select offline maps. Hopefully you downloaded them when you purchased the app
AnswerID: 640036

Sponsored Links