Darling River run

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 22:14
ThreadID: 143491 Views:5150 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Would like your opinion on which side of the Darling River is the better side to travel to enjoy the best of the Darling from Bourke to the Menindee Lakes. I like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their views.

Regards RayJ

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 22:32
Western side, in my opinion, though there are a couple of points you need to cross over to get the full value of the trip (eg, Louth, and Tilpa weir where there is good camping).
Trilby station also has some good camping spots, and there are interesting tracks to sites around the station - though confess it is a few years since I did the trip.
On your way, it's worth making the time to detour from Wilcannia out to White Cliffs.
Enjoy :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640048

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 09:11

Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 09:11
September 2019. West side. Fast smooth and dusty.
Do not be here (either side) after rain. Black soil.
https://youtu.be/IAhIFdZ8p80
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640052

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:32

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:32
Ask the locals in each town you stop at. They know the current conditions for each stretch. When you are in Wilcannia, fuel up at the depot in the backstreet. He regularly delivers fuel up and down both sides of the river. (His fuel is also cheaper than the service station on the main road.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640066

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 14:43

Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 14:43
We wanted to do the E side but the rains came and closed parts of that side in Sept 2020, So we zigged and zagged from one side to another as we could and got to see all we wanted. Some nice camps beside the river which has got plenty of water in it for the next few months. eg Tilpa Weir Camp Area . Link: https://www.exploroz.com/places/121956/nsw+tilpa-weir-camp-area?s=tilpa Enjoy.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640081

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 07:40

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 07:40
Hi Ray

Are you aware that the full Darling River Run is still not open, and there are still large detours in place from roads that were seriously damaged from the very heavy rain that the area received a number of months ago.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640172

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 09:21

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 09:21
I'm heading off in a month to do the Darling Run and Sturt NP. Presumably you need to call the local council directly to get this information? It's not shown on the NSW live traffic app. A few warnings about current weather and a flooded road north of Wanaaring. A mate just did Balranald-Mungo-Menindee-Broken Hill towing an Avan without any issues.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919237

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:27

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:27
In the last few days I did the west side from Wilcannia to Pooncarie without any issues, other than the series of detours south of Menindee where the bitumen sealing work is underway. I can highly recommend a stay at Nelia Gaari.

I was told at Wilcannia by another traveller that the west side heading north is open, but not the east side. I did not verify this, so treat this as hearsay. I'm not at all familiar with the west route so have no idea whether one side is likely to be open when the other is partly closed.
FollowupID: 919243

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 15:29

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 15:29
The best and most reliable update is on Facebook and the Darling River Run site.

It’s worth joining it and the information is right up to date.

I have also been in contact with one of the stations and like the lady told me, they are not sure how many of their riverside camps will be available soon, as the Darling is still rising and has not peaked yet south of Menindee.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919253

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 18:11

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 18:11
Good tip Stephen. Much as I hate FB, there's a group for everything and often several. In fact I can see two Darling River Runs - one a travel page with an associated website, and one a community. Thanks.
FollowupID: 919258

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:58

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:58
Keep an eye on these pages Bourke Road Report 13 April 2022 and Central Darling Road Condition Report(PDF). Both look favourable for you. You can get through at present and things should improve (providing nothing crops up of course.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640176

Sponsored Links