Mount Elizabeth Station to Wunnumurra Gorge Track in a Pathfinder ??

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 19:39
ThreadID: 143502 Views:4691 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I am planning on driving the Gibb River Road in a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. I would love to drive the 4WD track to Wunnumurra Gorge, however I am questioning if my car have the ability to get there? Has any one else done this track in a Pathfinder?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 22:02

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 22:02
I'd suggest contacting Mt Elizabeth Station - the track conditions would change from year to year for a station track like that.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640076

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 17:56

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 17:56
Thinking about this more and seeing Cuppa's comment - the station might be clueless as to how hard it is. The lady there told us the Munja track to Bachsten Bush Camp was incredibly hard and she thought she was going to die. We towed our Tvan down it with a 2" lifted Prado without any major problems (certainly nowhere did I think we were going to get close to dying!). Track conditions are somewhat subjective.

I guess the station could tell you if the track/gorge was open at all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919227

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 14:35

Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 14:35
We have travelled in a couple of stock standard R50 Pathfinders and found them capable from the Cape to the GRR to the Simpson. As for the W gorge IIRC it is a rocky track as per this Link and others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-fRwFgDhg
TODU and many others do it, You Tube is your oyster, open it.
Is your rig lifted? Might help. Again IIRC one opinoin is that it is not worth it due to the time taken on the bumpy track and to go to the closer gorge(s)
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640079

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 19:05

Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 19:05
From memory, as shown on the Youtube video, it was pretty rocky as you approached the gorge. In the Prado we chickened out about 500 metres away and hoofed it the rest of the way. Well worth it if you get the opportunity.
FollowupID: 919144

Reply By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 20:31

Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 20:31
The track isn’t all rough, it’s just the last section as Rowdy mentioned. Many vehicles get hung up on that last bit as it’s quite rocky. You can see it well in advance so you can easily pull up before it and park. Just walk the last bit to the gorge. Check with the station about gorge access this year as they were closed last season.
AnswerID: 640084

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 09:06

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 09:06
We gave the track a miss. Having just spent close to two weeks out along the Munja track to Walcott inlet & back we were happy to just chill for a couple of days. Some folk were returning from the W gorge & talking about the track being a 10 out of 10 track (where 10 is as hard as it gets) & some were saying it was a moderate 5 or 6. No-one reported damage though. Having just checked out the video it looks very similar to some parts of the Munja Track (hardly surprising) & my grading in comparison to the easiest/hardest of the Munja I reckon the 5 or 6. We were in a Patrol with 2" lift & towing our Tvan. Best to talk to the folk at Mount Elizabeth stn when you get there, but I'd say a lift would be reassuring.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640089

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 17:54

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 17:54
We also gave it a miss after going to Bachsten Bush Camp (Munja Track). One of the issues is that you have to get/return the key from the homestead so it adds an extra hour or so of driving.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919226

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 10:27

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 10:27
Hi Jamie we did it 2013 in a ti 550 no lift just drop tyre pressure and take it easy and pick your way through the rocks, just enjoy the experience, and the country and when you come back out, find some where to chill out for a couple of days and enjoy.
the 550 was stock standard, we went on to do the gcr and some of the canning stock route after that, but on those trips it was me and my mate ,not the wife but we still had fun.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640092

Reply By: nick g1 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2022 at 02:56

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2022 at 02:56
We did this track in 2020 in our Toyota 79 series ute. Being a fairly experienced 4wdriver l would clasify the track as about a 6 out of 10. The track gets progressivly harder as you get closer to the gorge. By harder l mean tight turns, as in going from full lock to full lock each way. It's very rocky which just means you are in low range first picking your way over rocks. At no point did l get hung up on any rocks but l do have a 2" lift. It was interesting to see the various stages that people chickened out at as there is about 3 places that you can chicken out at and park and walk. I think the first one is about at 3ks out from the gorge. There is no hills or bog holes just a twisty rocky track.
So l suggess you just go for it and chicken out when you think it is becoming to much for your car or driving skills. It will just mean you will have to walk further.
Even at the end of the track you still have to walk almost a k to get to the gorge and climb down a ladder to get to it.
The actual gorge is beautiful. A 2 tyred waterfall with big swimming hole. 2 art sites that are magnificent.
We rated it No. 2 as in best gorge we visited on the Gibb. No. 1 Bells, No. 3 Manning.
If you are at Mt Elizabeth station and you have the time, and if you can get onto it, go on the Munga track.
Personally this is the best wild remote experience you can have in the kimberly!
The art will blow you away and there's so much of it. It's the best l have seen anywhere in Aust. Shits all over anything in Kakado.
Plenty of great camps that you can just work out yourself. Jamerson arch is brilliant, make sure you walk to the base. Calder river is criytal clear and swimmerable in its upper reaches. Crocs galore in the lower river. Old mission and fishing camp ruins at the end of the track.
As you can see l carn't stop raving about this track. It's just wild beautiful country.
Enjoy the kimberly, its a great experence.
AnswerID: 640099

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 13:00

Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 13:00
The Munja was probably the best experience we had in the Kimberley, probably in Australia too. Rick & Anne are no longer at Bachsten Creek, & I'm not sure if/when the Munja will re-open. I very much hope it does, we had two weeks out there & would love to double that next time.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919176

Sponsored Links