Perth - Birdsville - Windorah - Longreach - Gladstone

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 12:36
ThreadID: 143538 Views:4804 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I have to drive Perth to Gladstone at the start of May. The post title above shows my intended route. Can anyone please advise of the usual road quality for three sections;

1) Birdsville Track north of Marree? Have done it before but wondering what it's like now...

2) Birdsville to Windorah to Longreach? Never been that way.

3) Longreach to near Rockhampton then down to Gladstone. Never been that way either.

Very experienced remote and long range driver, with all the right tyres, comms, water, spares and gadgets you'd expect. Driving a 200 series towing a Golf 499 pop top weighing just on 2 tonnes. So, plenty of power to play with as well.

But....I'm a sook and I hate rough roads. Not gravel corrugations - I can cope with those. I'm talking about those miserable roads between Broken Hill, Nyngan, up through Narrabri, Moree, Goodiwindi, Miles etc. If I never see those roads again, I'll be a happy man.
Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 15:51

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 15:51
With good tyres (AT) and lowered pressure you're going to be fine. Those roads are well travelled during the winter months.
Just check if you're route is open, as many indigenous towns are still off limits.
AnswerID: 640142

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:00

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:00
Thanks mate. Do you know if I need any permits for that route? Or do you mean to be careful with fuel range? Which is safe at around 500 to 550 with the van on the back.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919202

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:51

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:51
You don't need permits, but as of now the Birdsville track is closed and the road to Windorah is 4wd only. Both due to flooding. Best to check closer to your departure date what the conditions are. If you're lucky then they may have been graded.
FollowupID: 919211

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:34

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:34
Ah yes, the Newell "Highway" is a gem ........ gradually improving, but still dreadful.
The "highways" in western Queensland are fair to middling, and the LC will be as comfortable as you can get.
Don't know about the Birdsville track.
All good in Western Queensland, just don't expect any particularly interesting scenery, although it should all be very green after all the rain.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640144

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:36

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 16:36
Thanks Jim. If nothing else, and if no better than the other roads I mentioned, well at least I'll see something new. And I'm always up for that. Cheers.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919204

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:14

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:14
Can’t help you with the Birdsville Track or Birdsville-Windorah, Rusty. Haven’t been on them for few years.

Windorah-Longreach is all bitumen, though after Jundah I think most of the black stuff is still single lane, no doubt with the occasional overtaking lane.

Longreach-Rockhampton is all Highway class bitumen, though the Longreach-Barcaldine section is a product of being built on black soil, a bit lumpy on the older sections. Through to Emerald is generally good, though you should take extra care as you approach the Drummond Range, steep hill & numerous sweeping bends.

From Emerald onto Rocky, the highway improves, with those metre wide centre lines, that keep one away from oncoming traffic but no doubt lulls some into a false sense of security………or should that be safety?

Down to Gladstone is more open Highway, wide & fast. If you’ve just done nigh on 4K kms from Perth, seeing few vehicles, this section will get your heart pumping! Enjoy……..

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640145

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:17

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:17
Thanks very much Bob. Appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Cheers.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919205

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:22

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:22
Rusty,

Believe there’s races on in Birdsville this weekend, so there’s a fair chance that both gravel roads going into Birdsville that you’re planning on, would have seen a grader, over the past week or two.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919206

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:25

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 18:25
Excellent.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919207

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:27

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:27
No problems unless its rained or you are following the Big Red Bash or Birdsville races crowds
AnswerID: 640147

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:31

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 19:31
Big Red Bash - July

Birdsville Races - September

Me - May :-( Very likely badly in need of a grader, if I time it wrong. Such is life. Won't know til I get there and it'll be too late to turn around. She'll be right....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919208

Reply By: Zippo - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 20:58
Is this trip about getting there rather than any sense of exploring?

Have you considered using the GCR/OutbackWay to Winton then through Longreach? To Alice that's our "favourite" way to escape WA and get into interesting country. I realise that can be corrugated in places at times, but I wouldn't call it rough on any of our mulitiple traverses. And the section east of Docker that used to be horror-corro is now about 50km of blacktop super-highway.

There's really only two half-decent ways Perth-Marree:

- via the Nullarboring and Port Augusta, or
- GCR to Erldunda and then Port Augusta or Oodnadatta Track.

Permits are required though, but accom (which I guess you wont need) &fuel facilites in "permit territory" are open for transiting travellers. With WA still semi-fortress it's a one-way route though so unless you're "emigrating" you'll be returning via Eucla under current rules.

Just my 2.2c worth.
AnswerID: 640148

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 21:27

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 21:27
Thanks for the suggestion but have been up and down the GCR a few times. This trip is sort of more or less about getting there (business purposes) but I've allowed 8 days and I'd really like to see something different this time. Cheers for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919215

Reply By: Ozi M - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 22:01

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 22:01
I did Marree Birdsville Windorah then east to coast just before Covid arrived in my Prado.

No worries at all anywhere then, most of the sealed roads are road train width so they are easy too.

I think you will have a good trip, now that Covid is settling down I intend to get up that way again myself.

Safe travels

AnswerID: 640150

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 02:29

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 02:29
Is it really worth putting your vehicle through that if your only comuting in 8 days?
If you want a change then personally I would be just taking a different bitumen rout maybe through alice and mt isa.
FollowupID: 919216

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 08:28

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 08:28
Hi Rusty Iron,

I won't comment on your query but would like to commend you for providing thanks and a response to each person who made suggestions.

Nowadays there's a tendency by some to ask for advice and when they get it, there is little or no acknowledgment or thanks given. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Have a great trip.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640151

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:48

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:48
Agree 100% Phil and I call it the height or rudeness.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919222

Sponsored Links