mobile roadblock ripped apart in crash

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 22:16
ThreadID: 14355 Views:2857 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Accident tears caravan apart

July 2 2004
Shepparton News

A Melbourne couple's holiday plans and caravan were torn apart yesterday after an accident at a Mooroopna intersection.
Doug and Dorothy Hill were passing through Mooroopna at the start of their oneweek holiday and on their way to Mildura for the 16th World Hot Air Balloon Championships when the incident happened about 10.30 am.

"It (bad luck) always happens on the first day of holidays," Mr Hill said.

"I saw the truck out of the corner of my eye . . . it just took the end right off.

"I never felt it. Maybe just a nudge. But I heard a big crunch."

The caravan had provided frequent holidays for the couple, who paid $27 000 for it about 10 years ago.

Mr and Mrs Hill, 70 and 65 respectively, tried to clear their heads and settle their shock before deciding how the loss of guaranteed accommodation would affect their plans.

"The car has no damage but it wrote off the caravan," Mr Hill said. "We are not sure of what to do now."

Truck driver Jason Rixon said he was also a little shaken after the accident.

"I saw the caravan but I couldn't stop," Mr Rixon said.

"It's a bit of a shock when you know you're going to drive into a caravan."

Mr Rixon was on his way to Colbinabbin from Yarrawonga. The truck's bull bar received minor damage.

Mooroopna police Senior Constable Robert Slee said the accident at the "complicated" intersection had occurred about 10.30 am.

Sen Const Slee said the car and caravan had been travelling north along Toolamba Rd and the truck travelling west along the Midland Hwy before the accident...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links