Muddy 'doe goes in DEEP

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 04:25
ThreadID: 14356 Views:2048 Replies:15 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I was tooling around up north of Adelaide yesterday at a place called Thompson's Beach following some really great tracks along the back of the beach.

I came to a turnoff that led to some open claypan type terrain and went up there for a bit of a look. Middle of winter there is a bit of water lying around and I thought to myself "hmmmmmm, that looks a bit slushy, I don't think I'll go in there." But there was a track with heaps of fresh tyres tracks leading through a high part so I thought, that looks OK and sure enough - off I went and had a bit of an explore around.

All was going well until I hit a dried wheel rut at just the wrong angle with about 10kph too much speed and I got shot off the track and into the soft stuff. Uh Oh!

I kept it going with the wheels spinning and clay flying and just up ahead was a little rise where there was a solid bank above the gluggy stuff. "If I can just make it onto that I'll be fine" I thought.

The front wheels got up onto it but I hit it at a slight angle. The momentum just ebbed away as the back L wheel hit the 4" rise. The front then clawed around and the front drivers wheel slipped back off into the glug. UUUUUhh OOOOhhhhh!

The mighty Prado was stuck fast!. The first bogging.

The back L corner was now up on the rise and the front R corner was way down in the clay mud with all the weight on it. I was going nowhere.....

I tried a bit of digging. I found a few bits of timber and stuck them in under the wheels. No joy.

The very small settlement is about 2km away. I head off in search of assistance. It is 2.30pm and will be dark at 5.00pm.

As I get near town I am thinking "Who in their right mind is going to want to help this person remove a vehicle from clay at this time of a cold day." Worry was seriously setting in.

I come across a fellow out walking his dog. I say " Uhhh, would you know anyone in town that can give me a tow out. I seem to have got a bit bogged".

"No worries mate!, I'll just drop the dog home and be right with you."

Sure enough, back he comes in the GQ shorty (as if things are not bad enough, he drives a Nissan but beggars can't be choosers!) and we go out along the track.

We find the Prado, just where I left it, and he gets into position on some seemingly hard ground for a snatch to the rear. We hook up and give it a tug but movement is nil. Worse than that, the GQ has dug a trench and is resting on the diffs! A bit of digging and rocking, digging and rocking and the GQ was free. Close call for both of us stuck!

He moves to some firmer ground and we try a front pull. After lots of digging and snatching, 7 goes later it finally pulls free from the mud. I am a very relieved boy as by this stage it is 4.30pm and there are rain clouds on the horizon!

Anyway, The GQ owner invites me back to his place for a coffee (and to clean the mud off the feet and hands) and we discuss the lessons learned.

He would accept no offer of reward such as a carton of his favourite beverage for the good deed even though his own car was stuck at one point and now has a good coating of clay on the undercarriage. I was really impressed that he was only too happy to help out at the cost of a quiet and comfortable Saturday afternoon. Thanks mate!

The Prado has now had it's first recovery, and it was a good one as well. The bull bar was into the mud it was in that deep. I have been very happy with the way the vehicle has gone in the first couple of months but I am starting to learn the limits. I am now familier with how much hard work it is to dig it out!

Anyway, just had to share the experience with the forum seeing as it was the first real bogging. Maybe some of you might enjoy a bit of a Yarn!

Cheers
Muddy (capital MMMMM)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 07:48

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 07:48
Another Nissan -toyota recovery story like the yellow pages this is one of thousands , lol
what is it with prado's and mud .

great story good fun in winter hey.
did ya tell him to checkout exploroz?
AnswerID: 66357

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:38

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:38
Hey Toony

Thought that you must have been away or something. Maybe working toooooo much or RSI of the fingers and can't type. Good to hear from you!

Andrew
FollowupID: 327154

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:41

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:41
Hi Super Muddy 'doe

It is a bit of a worry when you have to go and find someone to pull you out. Sounds like you would have been digging for days without any help. I remember driving throught a smallish ditch at Lake Eildon and just bottoming out and going nowhere fast. Had to get snatched out and took two pulls. Didn't have any recovery gear and gave the bloke $50. Have learned my lesson and I am a bit more wary now. A good yarn.

Andrew
AnswerID: 66361

Reply By: gleno - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:47

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:47
Years ago I got home in a niki after being picked up on the side of a road after a 2 hour walk. Got the Patrol out 2 days later. Back into 4wd after a considerable layoff and the first two things purchased strap and p'ble winch. CYA
AnswerID: 66362

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 09:31

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 09:31
Great story. Good to know that there are people out there willing to help and expect nothing but a than you in return.

Methinks Muddy Doe will be fitted with a winch in the not too distant future ;)

Nissan - Official Toyota Recovery Truck.
AnswerID: 66365

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:09

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:09
Living up to your name i see!!
AnswerID: 66369

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:19

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:19
Well told storey Muddy.
We all learn a bit from these yarns but there is nothing like the hard school of knocks to teach the facts.
In hind-sight, let's call this a de-briefing, there are two parts to the incident. Firstly, how would you approach the situation again if given the choice to do it again - would you even attempt the crossing ?
Secondly, what should you have had onboard to get yourself out un aided ?

Did anyone know where you were & would you have slept in the wagon had you not found assistance within say, another hour or two. ?? It could be a long cold night

These Q's are not meant to criticise what you did, but it would be interesting to hear your review of the incident. I know we can be all so wise in hind sight.

Thanks for the yarn.
AnswerID: 66371

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:50

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:50
Yes Cocka, These are the questions that you analyze in the brain as you are walking across the mudflats i serach of a tow!

Needless to say I should have been thinking them a bit earlier and as a result may have chosen a different path. A bit more care to be exercised when travelling alone perhaps.

I knew that I would get out - it was purely a matter of when (next morning maybe) and how much it might cost me.

GQ owner told me that they do about 1 recovery a fortnight in the area, mainly off the beach itself. Bloke 3 doors up has a tractor and charges $100 a go.

Looking back, I am having a bit of a chuckle about the whole experience. It is damned inconvenient at the time but with helpful people around the situation was resolved. It has also put me in a frame of mind to help out others for free where I possibly can.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 327164

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:27

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:27
Good one Steven,

We have all been down that path.

Saving up for winch now?...........hahahahaha

Needless to say I did a similar thing and had to walk 5km AND I had a winch but did not have a long enough cable to reach a sturdy tree.
AnswerID: 66372

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:32

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:32
Hi Steven Famous 4WD saying which is a good benchmark for learning,
" You will be surprised where they will go, and you will be surprised where they wont go "
Good story, NEXT time give some of us locals a call if your in trouble, we are only about an hour away and would you believe Roachie went past there yesterday about 4.30 - 5.00 ( Winch, Lockers, Snatchem's, Shovels, camera, and just bustin to use some of it)
AnswerID: 66373

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:56

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:56
Never gave it a thought that I was getting up towards your local area!
Then again I must not have been thinking too well to get stuck in the first place. But from the responses above it seems we have all been there and done it at some stage!

'Bout 5.00 pm I was back at the servo at Dublin refilling the tyres. Would have been a shock if Roachie had pulled in there at that time to fill up!

I am actually disappointed that I did not have the camera with me. I could of got some great shots, even if they might have been a bit embarassing!

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET!!!!!
FollowupID: 327167

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:18

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:18
Or the other old saying ... "4WDs allow you to go further into trouble and get stuck harder"

Good yarn Muddy ... we've all been there, done that.

Cheers
FollowupID: 327177

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:10

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:10
G'day Steven

Mate, Pesty was telling me today all about your adventure. (I haven't been on-line since yesterday morning.)

You made 2 mistakes......one was the bogging as you've already outlined....the 2nd was getting on here and telling everybody about it!!!

Fancy that eh!! A yota being pulled out of the mire by an old Pootrol. That must be a "first" ; NOT!!??

Anyway Muddy, you've really earned your stripes now and can wear your EO name with pride!! LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 327267

Follow Up By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:55

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:55
Cumon Roachie, it takes a big man to admit his Toyota's short commings
FollowupID: 327333

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:01
G'day Bob,

Not only does it take a "big" man to admit his yota's shortcomings...................................... but because there are sooooooo many such shortcomings, it also takes a bloke with a lot of spare time on his hands to be able to run through them alllll... lol

FollowupID: 327378

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:18

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:18
Righto Roachie,

Now you are just stirring the pot! This particular incident was in no way the toyo's fault. it was all down to me. I was the one that hit the puddle a bit quick and after that it was all academic! I was surprised it made it back towards the track as far as it did.

I don't want to get into a "shortcomings" competition (but will if you think you have what it takes) but I know I am happy driving the Yota thanks buddy!

How come the Pootrol needs sooooo many mods to make it competitive???????

Muddy
FollowupID: 327399

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:50

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:50
G'day Steven,

Only reason I've so many mods on my trol is cos I've got so many mates with yotas who need my help from time to time. I'm just such a great bloke, I've gone to all the expense of mods etc just so I can pluck yotas from sticky situations. LOLOLOLOL

Okay, no more stirring for a while.......

Cya
FollowupID: 327419

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:32

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:32
Hi Muddy 'doe,

Great yarn and well told. I rekon the only ones out there who haven't got a similair story are those who haven't been offroad yet !!! The school of hard knocks is a great teacher.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 66376

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:57

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:57
Thanks Captain,

Live and Learn!
FollowupID: 327168

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:35

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:35
You can use your 4x4 two ways, either to get yourself into trouble or get yourself out of trouble.....the choice is yours.
FollowupID: 327185

Follow Up By: Sparkie - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:26

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:26
I have yet to go offroad with the Jack in a serious way. Up this way rain is getting to be a bit of a myth!!!!!!!!! so bogging will be attempted in sand in kinkuna national park with my brother in a patrol as back up.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327277

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:15

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:15
pics, pics and more pics. Where are the pics
AnswerID: 66388

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:38

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:38
heres a more than appropriate photo...

[ View Image]
AnswerID: 66390

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:31

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:31
Well in the absence of any others that'll suffice..lol
FollowupID: 327184

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:48

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:48
Truckster, you are cruel!!!!!!!!!!!
Muddy, at least your having fun. You better make sure you get to Robe in November and watch every one get bogged too.
FollowupID: 327194

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:31

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:31
best $0.00 I ever spent. it takes pride right next to recovery point on GQ....
FollowupID: 327202

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:34

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:34
Let that be a lesson. Take pics or trucky will put his own up..lol
FollowupID: 327207

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:25

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:25
Thanks for the replies everyone and SOME of you for your support! LOL

Well, I have just spent the better part of 4 hours getting the clay out of the truck! Both inside and out. After $20 worth of Hi-Pressure time at the local car wash place I left a 6" pile of clay in the washbay. I used the pressure gun to pile it all up in the middle underneath and then drove away! It was a designated 4x4 bay so they have to expect it I suppose.

I had to then take that front drivers wheel off the car so I could get to the two kilos of clay that was stuck in behind the rim where I could not reach with the blaster. No wonder the balance felt a bit off coming home last night!

I would like to say that is the last time I'll be getting stuck in clay but then you should never say never.

Sand was OK. Think I'll try and stick to sand for a while. Easier to clean up!

Roll on Robe EO trip.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 66401

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:33

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:33
Robe is ok but once you done it, its been done.. Not that exciting.

theres some photos I Upped last night of our club trip to Robe
http://www.gqpatrol.com/ then pictures link.
FollowupID: 327205

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:34

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:34
PS the white powdery crap from the back hills round the beach at Robe is nearly impossible to get off your car.
FollowupID: 327206

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:52

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:52
What is it Lime?.....probably rust ya car out also
FollowupID: 327213

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:52

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:52
NFI but $25 at shiners with 4 bottles of Nifti couldnt remove it
FollowupID: 327214

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 19:00
Good to see you're living up to your handle muddy. If you intend on doing more of same it might be advisable to take a mate with a Nissan along.
AnswerID: 66566

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 20:11

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 20:11
good yarn mate been there done that bloke probably didnt want anythng he will drink well off his nissan mates retelling the story for awhile

steve
AnswerID: 66575

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 21:25

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 21:25
So do we call you Clay'doe in the Playdoe??? Sorry, couldnt resist. 8-))

This happens 20 to 30 times per year on the claypans here in Whyalla. The SES spend a lot of time pulling all sorts of vehicles out, including 4WDs, Commodores, dirt bikes, the cops.......
AnswerID: 66589

Sponsored Links