Mount Isa to Alice

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:36
ThreadID: 143569 Views:3967 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm just doing some trip planning in ref to a trip to Isa and return to Perth via Alice Springs (early June). This query relates to 2 of the options from Isa to Alice.

Google maps is giving me a driving distance/time via blacktop to Tennant Ck and the Stuart Hwy of 12 hours and 1,170 kays.

The alternative more direct Plenty Hwy option is for 18 hours over a significantly shorter 890 kays.

(note, Sandover Hwy options are similar to Plenty)

These data, if accurate, are suggesting to me that the direct Plenty route is one special dog of a road...?.

Comments please.

Cheers. JB.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 05:36

Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 05:36
Can be.
Sandover is usually in far better condition because there is no camp sites along it.
AnswerID: 640234

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 09:32

Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 09:32
Hi John,

Google Maps makes some assumptions when giving travel times over gravel roads. It quite often uses 60 kph as the driving speed when calculating time. This is often quite a lot slower than the speed you can actually travel at.

I also use a combination of both Google maps and the Hema Road & 4WD Atlas when planning my trips, and generally use 80 kph as the driving speed to calculate driving times. Not always accurate, but generally it is closer to the actual time required to drive that distance than what Google maps says. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using the Exploroz Traveller App to help plan your trip either, not sure on the accuracy of time required for distance travelled.

To find out the actual road conditions, you might want to contact someone locally closer to the time of your travel for the most up to date road conditions.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640238

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 14:50

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 14:50
I drove the Plenty last April and it was a good unsealed road. The road was recently closed due to flooding but should be repaired and opened long before June. On unsealed roads I usually travel at 80km/h with 28-30psi in tyres.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640417

Sponsored Links