colson track

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 09:00
ThreadID: 14358 Views:1522 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have applied for a permit to travel the colson track again @ was interested if anyone has been sucessful recently ? Is any one interested in coming along ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:05

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:05
Mike did you get a permit? We did it last year and the track was overgrown on the north end and more used at the South end. Be careful that you don't get lost if you come down it as there are many tracks out of Numerary. You can miss the gate out of Nunerary to go down the track. The gate is just a mallee gap and is easily missed if you miss it you will follow the fence on the west side and it will head you west to the Hale River, if you start veering west you have gone past the gate. The gate is at 24'08'06 S ans 135'41'39 E. The Hema Simpson Desert map will show you the track and where it enters the reserve. There were signs there last year but had been on the ground for a long time. We did not see a suol for the whole track.
AnswerID: 66368

Follow Up By: mike - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 18:07

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 18:07
Thanks for your comments Lindsay.
No I haven't received a permit yet but I am Hopefull.
Did you have a permit ? and if so how did you go about talking the NLC into giveing you one?
I would like to discuss this with you further if you are so inclined to do so. my email is pfpmhyd@powerup.com.au.
Bye for now.
FollowupID: 327225

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:54

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:54
Mike
We did it 2 yrs ago with permit (took a lot of effort). I agree with Lindsay's remarks about the gate. We were using the Hema map and not paying much attention and drive right past the gate. There were no turnoffs to miss so we just kept diving. About an hour later we had the sense that things weren't quite right and checked the map to find we were way to the west of were we should have been. There is no evidence of a turn off on the map either. Somewhat mystified we retraced our tracks, and still wouldn't have found the gate without the help of the GPS. Beyond the gate there is no visible track. I have a photo of the "gate" if anyone is interested.
AnswerID: 66509

Sponsored Links