ThreadID: 143593 Views:8878 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hi
Ryco have recently modified there c/cans
Old Rcc 350
New Rcc351

1st mod
****filter has one end [bottom ] 90 % enclosed
Why I suspect to restrict oil slosh from being sucked into outlet which is at the other /top end of filter

2nd mod
Outlet located at top of filter has alot larger baffle
WHY,, To prevent excessive oil from being sucked thru c/can ie slow the air so it can return more oil to storage area

3rd mod
pressure regulating valve located on the top out let
Function ,, to protect filter media against un needed pressure waves
problem ,, this restricts flow
solution ,, the later Rcc has this removed
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2022 at 20:58

Thursday, Apr 21, 2022 at 20:58
Thanks Swampy, but IMO a better solution is a Mann-Hummel Provent catch can, properly engineered from the start. From the start these cans have addressed all the issues Ryco and others have progressively dealt with to make their cheap options come up to scratch both legally and performance-wise.

I use these guys Link, but there are plenty of other retailers.

Not cheap but as has been said here before, buy right, buy once.

I had one in a 120 series Prado 3L diesel, prone to coking up the intake system and after 170,000km it was clean as a whistle. Ditto my current BT50 3.2L diesel at 140k.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640282

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 07:05

Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 07:05
Frank P, I have used the Provent and now use the Isuzu factory catch can, cheaper for the initial buy, filters are a lot cheaper and by design, I think a better item. Isuzu Oil PCV Separator, Part number: 8-97324682-1
Filter part number: 8-98002346-0

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919359

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:01

Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:01
hi
off topic
The Isuzu catch can has to have a filter change every 30,000km
AnswerID: 640293

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:17

Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:17
hi
Frank
Both Provent and Ryco have pressure regulation valves ,where the factory hoses have nothing . The designs are very very similar .
I strongly suggest that particular engines are sensitive to restriction . Some Pajero motors have issues and a few others have random issues . Toyota v8 Land cruisers also .

Catch can on my vehicle popped my rear main seal . With in weeks of fitting . Can could not cope with the 3500km drive over 3 days . High rpm for long periods . [Ford Ranger 105,000 km ]
AnswerID: 640295

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 14:32

Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 14:32
Hi Swampy

Strange that you mention the 79 series V8 Landcruisers. I fitted a catch can to my V8 and after 4500 kms, the turbo failed at 48,000 kms.
At the time I could not get a Toyota Turbo and fitted a Garret turbo. Garret asked me if I had a catch can fitted and advised if I did not remove the catch can they would be selling me another turbo in 5,000 kms.

I have many friends with V8 79 series that have catch cans and done many more kms than mine without any problems.
Garret turbo advised that they take away all the oil mist that is required to lubricate the turbo seals.
FollowupID: 919369

Follow Up By: swampy - Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 15:50

Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 15:50
Hi
slopokin
U tube thread on a v8 cruiser that had significant issues and then he discovered the updated catch can RCC351

Lubrication to cylinder heads valves should be more of a concern than lube from mist for the turbo . An engine turbo is pressure fed . Garret should /would be concerned over the crank case breathing and if there was any restriction and any excessive suction / pressure on the turbo shaft seals.
FollowupID: 919373

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:00

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:00
I find it ironic that catch cans were fitted in part to stop “oil mist” from “gunking” up turbos, as well as air intakes, and now find a “turbo”company saying that their turbo relys on oil mist to keep their turbo seals lubricated.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640302

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:56

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 09:56
Yep strange as the turbo bearings are supplied with oil via the engines lubrication system. As someone else wrote more about sump pressures one would think. Turbo bearings are feed oil, the bearing s don't have normal oil seals as the turbo spins so fast, they have seals that are similar to piston compression rings and as such do not prevent all oil passing them. Excess oil that manages to get past the seals is slung off and drains into the vehicles sump. The sealing also relies on a positive pressure on one side of the seal and a negative pressure on the other, any build up of pressure in the sump can cause the seals to leak. Normally you won't get a build up of pressure in the sump but if you fit a catch can and the filter becomes restricted due to clogging then you will get pressure build up due to restricted flow which is why a good catch can has a valve to relieve the pressure but again that is questionable as you have to have pressure for the valve to operate which would not be there if the catch can was not fitted. Turbo manufactures say if your turbo is leaking oil first thing to check is for pressure build up in the sump.

Personally I don't like catch cans, the oil is not the issue and has been feed into engine intakes since at least the 60 's. It is the carbon from the EGR that is the problem, catch can may remove some of the oil but it won't remove it all so you will still get a build up. One should also consider the carbon from the EGR which is abrasive, you have air cleaners on engines to stop dust and dirt entering the engine as it is abrasive, but then you have the EGR systems feeding gritty exhaust rubbish back in to the engine to meet anti pollution requirements.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919389

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Apr 28, 2022 at 12:09

Thursday, Apr 28, 2022 at 12:09
I post this as a warning to the unwary. Fitting a catch can to our Nissan TD42i motor was one of those 'seemed like a good idea at the time' decisions, along with the decision to buy a mid priced copy of the Mann Hummell Provent item, & to fit it with a genuine Mann Hummell filter.

I tested it over several weeks & found it was pressurising the motor & collecting no oil & I blamed it for causing the rocker box gasket to begin leaking.

I removed it & had a new gasket fitted to seal the leak & have never put it back on & no longer feel the need for one. It may have been better to buy a genuine Provent in the first place (even though I was confident that what I bought was far superior to the many 'el cheapo copies' available).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640370

Follow Up By: MY D-mAx - Sunday, May 01, 2022 at 08:06

Sunday, May 01, 2022 at 08:06
You learn by your mistakes .
Have PV200 fitted to my 2013 D Max and done around 16k and to date no problems.
FollowupID: 919464

Reply By: workhorse - Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 16:27

Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 16:27
The Ryco catch can has a release valve in the oil collection hose. If this valve was left open to vent/drain all the time, would this relieve the possible pressure build up?
Would it have any negative effect in not pressurising the circuit back to the engine?
AnswerID: 640602

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, May 20, 2022 at 08:49

Friday, May 20, 2022 at 08:49
Hi Workhorse,

Not being familiar with the Ryco Catch Can, I have a question. Where does this relief valve line drain to? Wouldn’t it just leave an oily patch wherever it drains to?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919682

Sponsored Links