Spare wheel mount for front of Jayco Sprite 2000

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2022 at 19:46
ThreadID: 143601 Views:4154 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'd like to mount my spare wheel on the front of my van but I'm not sure what type of wheel mount I need. I bought the van second hand and it didn't come with a spare wheel (have one now) or a spot to put it.
There seems to be plenty of different types of wheel mounts but I can't work out which one I need. I have some spare room on the draw bar on the other side to the gas bottle (see photo)
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Tracey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 08:52

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 08:52
High Tracey,

You need to seriously think about the mounting location of your spare wheel. Given that it will weigh around 30 kgs, both the wheel and whatever mounting bracket you choose will add weight directly onto your draw bar and therefore increase your Ball Weight by the same amount.

I would suggest that you get your caravan weighed correctly so that you know the current Ball Weight, and weight balance of the van before deciding on where to mount the spare wheel. As a general rule, most (but not all) caravans have their spare wheel mounted on the rear bar.

The TBM or Tow Ball Mass of a caravan is recommended to be around 10% of the vans ATM, or Aggregate Trailer Mass. Whilst this is not a hard and fast rule, it is a guide, anything between 8% & 15% is also acceptable. In many other countries, 15% is used as a guide.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640301

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 11:24

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 11:24
In Europe the normal accepted tow ball weight is around 5%.
FollowupID: 919391

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 13:04

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 13:04
I was going to make that point as well, Bigfish, but then I wondered if they have design rules that make a low ballweight like that more appropriate than our heavy 10-15%.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919396

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 20:36

Saturday, Apr 23, 2022 at 20:36
"I was going to make that point as well, Bigfish, but then I wondered if they have design rules that make a low ballweight like that more appropriate than our heavy 10-15%."

There are no rules as to how to design their vans. They have a design philosophy for their vans, Their vans are lighter and they also do not include heavy things on the ends of the vans. They generally only have one gas bottle and smaller boots at the front. Likewise, they do not have heavy bumper bars or spare wheels on the rear, they certainly do not have tool boxes and jerrycans at the ends. You will not find kitchens at the ends of their vans.

The subject of vans with heavy ends like the Australian designed vans have Vs the lighter weight vans from Europe have well and truly covered in the writings of Collyn Rivers. Look up his sites and read them. Oz vans with their heavy ends require heavier ball weights to provide sufficient stability on the road.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919399

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:54

Sunday, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:54
Yrs ago I had a towball weight of 80kg on a loaded 1.4t 16' pop top I also keep 2 spares under our bed which was at the front of the van it all balanced out very good but that may not have worked for the same size full height non pop top van. I think around 10% give or take is acceptable everyone has their own idea but what works for one doesn't always work for all. Also I read somewhere once that in ideal road conditions 5% is fine but we don't have very good roads so a little more is better.
FollowupID: 919405

Follow Up By: Tracey H3 - Monday, Apr 25, 2022 at 11:32

Monday, Apr 25, 2022 at 11:32
Thanks everyone. Will check the ball weight when I can
FollowupID: 919409

Sponsored Links