Best designation for camper trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:25
ThreadID: 14362 Views:2735 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, there are all sorts of camper trailer setups ready designed with single axles and independent or beam axle design but last year between Christmas and New Year our son unfortunatley learned to use our camp box on the ute.

He now is wanting to build a trailer with sufficient capacity to carry the box so he can take the family. Heaven forbid, the grandies will want their own versions soon enough.

What is the best designation to carry a tonne or so. It will be as he will want a water tank and jerries for a petrol 80 series. Is it one or two leaf sprung axles? I say leaf as the coils are all easy to lose when a shocker goes phut! They are easy to maintain too. He has one thing in his favour, that the 80 series still has the 6 stud wheel hub that will fit the Nissan spare.

He is looking to make a flat top trailer that will carry our camp box without breaking all the gear, but will also take tool boxes, jacks, shovels, recovery gear and water and fuel we normally carry, plus the wife and kids in the 80. The interesting thing he noticed was a 4.2 turbo diesel GU for sale locally ;-)

I guess I can't be too precious about it, I will never be in a position to use it every week of the year but some of our independence to travel may be under threat.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:07

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:07
John, advise him gently (he might be bigger than you) to make his own camp box.
You reason for doing this is so that you Heather can go away with them and you need your own gear. LOL Wink Wink!
AnswerID: 66398

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 16:43

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 16:43
Des, I don't think he will catch up my height but he has been gaining the weight area though. Has a liking for homebrew and it builds bonnie babes. I think he wants me to get the trailer made which is a bit rich do you reckon? He reckons it could be a hay trailer or something.......
FollowupID: 327221

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:57

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:57
John, you need a trailer to carry the poddies around in and then have a slide on container to carry the milk cans in that just happens to double up as a camper trailer.
Personally, I'd rather have done it my self than get my father make it for me. Self satisfaction.
FollowupID: 327282

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:14

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:14
Des, I don't disagree, but always like to see a lot of time spent on management as well as the away side of the business. The best fertilizer is that spread by the bosses feet, or in other words to get the best evaluation as he walks the property, checking out all issues, kicking dung.

He already know enough about how to get off the farm and get into the industry as I did. Will be abit of a balance as to who builds what I think.
FollowupID: 327287

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 06:46

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 06:46
John R, Looking into this myself as an option for my tray back camper, will let you know what I come up with etc. Still in the thinking/asking stage.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 66471

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:16

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:16
John. Keep in touch. There is a good workshop near here that have gone down a camper traier route too.

Not sure John where are you, what state etc? There is Member John (Vic) too that I know.
FollowupID: 327288

Sponsored Links