120 series Toyota Prado TD

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 17:31
ThreadID: 14370 Views:3027 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I'm looking at buying a TD GXL manual Toyota Prado with a TJM T15 bar, 9500lb brawn winch, snorkel, BFG all terrains, ARB rear diff lock, DTronic computer and either ARB, TJM or Tough Dog suspension 2" lift. The vehicle will be used mostly for out back touring and spot lighting fox's. I'm just wondering if the vehicle has any reliability problems or other issue's ( I know it has IFS front end but that is not to much of a concern to me ). The purchase will be a lease as I need a tax break then maybe purchase ant the end of my lease. Any info would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:31

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:31
Sound fantastic Rosco but you might need a new tag line.

I have the same vehicle running Cooper A/T tyres and am a very happy camper so far after 5,000kms. I wish I could afford put on all the stuff you mention straight away but give it 12 months or so. Mine is also leased on a salary sacrifice deal.

No major issues that I am aware of. Few minor things. Recovery points on the front is an issue but I have had some aftermarket ones fitted and can point you in the right direction if you need it.

Have a look at the discussion group on yahoo for more info. There is some interesting reading in the older posts if you have the time to trawl.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/120scool/

I got mine bogged yesterday in thick clay and took an hour of digging and snatching to get out but it was not the cars fault! (see post 14356 on forum for full story).

Happy to answer any detailed queries you might have

Cheers
Steven
AnswerID: 66441

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:29

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:29
Hi Rossco,
I bought the GXL V6.
The ARB medium rated suspention lift I had fitted is too soft on the front, I really needed heavy duty and I have a factory alloy bull bar and dual batteries, so with a winch you def need to review that.
I drove my mates Prado recently which had all extra goodies on front and he set up with Bilstiens, def better. Not sure which springs, but can find out.

Petrol vs desiel, well the extra power of petrol sure is nice and the only time it's a big deal where diesel comes out in front is with lots of sand driving as petrol really gets thirsty while desiel isnt much diferent.

REgards
Joe
AnswerID: 66963

Sponsored Links