leaky hzj75 pc

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 20:23
ThreadID: 14374 Views:2452 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
my troopie leaks quite badly in the front/firewall area. i cant find the source of the leak. I have started pulling it apart and its getting serious now, so before i go any further has anyone got any ideas on where it might be coming from ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:08

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:08
Hi Drew, one possible source could be from a leaking windscreen seal. I had a problem with mine a few years back & when I had water leaking down the firewall on the passengers side. Checked everywhere & finally removed the windscreen & checked around the seal coaming where I found a spot had rusted through the coaming. The only visible evidence was a small paint blister which showed up when the seal lip was lifted. After cutting out the rust spot & repairs, I haven't had a leaking problem since. Try running the hose around the seal & see if any evidence of water still leaking, if so then that could be your problem. Another could be from your heater if you are losing engine coolant. Cheers.
AnswerID: 66435

Follow Up By: DrewHJZ75pc - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:29

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:29
thanks for the advice. I'm off to try and fix it.

cheers

Drew
FollowupID: 327312

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:16

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:16
Pre mid 90's 75 series troopies are renowned for cracking around the bottom of the A pillars which leads to major water leaks.
To find out if that is the problem you will have to remove the panel in front of the windscren and behind the bonnet.
Remove the wipers first, then undo the screws across under the rear edge of the bonnet, then the panel can be pulled and lifted towards the front of the truck.
From the back of the slots/recesses where the bonnet hinges go in the crack usually runs down the side of the firewall. To fix it properly you have to remove the front guards and get it welded up, to stop the water I just ran a bead of silicone over the crack as far down as I could reach and then traded the truck in.
Another giveaway is that the windscreen rubber will make a mark on the A pillar where it moves sideways as the body twists.
AnswerID: 66438

Reply By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:36

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:36
If you are not positive that it IS firewall - Just a taught - heater radiator core, probably not, but if everything else fails...you never know!
AnswerID: 66443

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 22:20

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 22:20
www.lcool.org
check here Landcruisers owners online
AnswerID: 66453

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:06

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:06
I've had the same problem for years, and tried all sorts of things, it ended up being that water was forced thru the hole in the firewall that the elctric loom uses, I had increased the size of the holw when doing various installs and the force of wind while driving was enough to push water through the hole.

Bit of silicone and she's sweet now.

That would be the first place I would look, followed by the windscreen itself, the drains at the bottom may be blocked!
AnswerID: 66479

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:48

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:48
Have you had a new screen lately, I have had a couple in different vehicles in recent years and they dont seal them, the last one a few months ago in my hilux and I challenged them on it and couldnt get him to do it, and is the floor damp inside now winter has come? yo bet so guess who will have to seal it ? you guessed it and guess who wont get the next screen job? you got that right also.
AnswerID: 66485

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 20:49

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 20:49
Another possible cause is that there is a small hose outlet for the aircon water waste that is located on the passenger side near the firewall.Sometimes this hose can be pushed off accidentally by the passenger and the water from the air con then runs on to the floor.Just reconnect and problem solved.
AnswerID: 66581

Sponsored Links