Storing food in space boxes on top of a camper trailer

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2022 at 23:14
ThreadID: 143741 Views:4755 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if people store tinned food, dry food etc in heavy duty boxes on top of a hard floor camper trailer?
To me it seems the best place to store them, but my wife wants to try to fit it in the back of the car. We have a freezer for pre prepared meals in the camper trailer, and a fridge in the back of the car.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 06:36

Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 06:36
My last camper, since sold for a hybrid van, additional storage boxes added to the top, worked very well, except I had to take a ladder to access everything and it did add ball weight.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640620

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 08:26

Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 08:26
People carry all sorts of things on the top of their campers. There is nothing to say it can't be food. It will have the problem in that it makes for more work every time you set up or break camp.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640621

Reply By: Gbc.. - Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 11:57

Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 11:57
My mate has a space case on top of his fridge box on his AOR that he uses as a pantry. It works well for them.
AnswerID: 640625

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 15:08

Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 15:08
I can only think that heat and vibration may be an issue.

Food stuffs don't cope well with extremes of heat when in storage and it will reduce the shelf life. Vibration has a tendency to wear holes in things as they rub together, so some form of insulation to reduce the vibrations or stop items rubbing against each other may be needed.

Not insurmountable problems, I have a bunch of tins wedged in stubby coolers in my camping boxes and they have lasted for years. Dry ingredients go in plastic containers so they are contained and have nothing much to rub against.
AnswerID: 640637

Sponsored Links