Shower hose advise

Submitted: Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 13:15
ThreadID: 143775 Views:4123 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

To save myself hours of research I am being lazy and posting this.

I have an old Power shower under the bonnet. Almost unused. Usually just hang a canvas bag that I inherited from Dad many moons ago.

Anyway, we have decided we would like to use it. Tried it the other day and it still goes. We would like to extend the hose around to the side of the Troopy, as I intend to mount the bracket it came with to the side of the roof rack. How the longer run will go with the low pressure pump remains to be seen. I'll worry about that if the issue arises.

Anyway, back to my question.
I need to extend the hose. Glind can sell me an extension with fittings, but I wish to make it a click on affair. So i can use it at it's original length or click on the extension hose. Only need 3m.

Would like the same type of hose as it is supple and doesn't kink. (it is some sort of opaque braided hose, not sure of it's exact name) Outside diameter is 18mm, which Google tells me is 3/4. I then just need a male and female click on coupling.

Can anyone who is familiar with this stuff point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 13:36

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 13:36
Hi Lyndon,
The hose is usually called Fuel hose, just PVC with a braid. The hose you are holding looks smaller than 18mm, it looks more like 14mm or 1/2" outside diameter. It looks 18mm where it is bulged out to fit the fitting. If it is 1/2 " outside diameter hose, its likely to be 5/16" or 3/8" inside diameter. Bunnings don't sell it but BCF do in a few sizes by the metre, its a clear hose with braid. Any other Industrial Supplier will have it too and also Pirtek . The male fitting on the end is RYCO click connect fitting, it works with water but it designed for air pressure lines so these you can get from Pirtek or an Industrial Supplier as well. The RYCO fittings also come in Brass which would suit water better.. That male RYCO fitting you have in the pic has been forced into that hose, it looks like a 1/2" diameter Barb, pushed into 3/8" hose. You can also get the fittings in 3/8" 5/16" and 1/4" to suit other hoses. If you want just an extension, Pirtek is your best bet. Take the current hose with you and you should get what you want. Pressure drop should not be an issue, most of those pumps are about 10 litres a minute at about 35 PSI so should be all good there. I hope this helps, regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640699

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 17:54

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 17:54
Hi Michael

The calipers are telling me it's 18mm E.D. Hose isn't actually the clear stuff with braid, I know what you are referring to. This stuff is more white with braid, very supple, almost silicone like.
Thanks for the heads up with Pirtek, never heard of them before, but they have an office in Darwin.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919760

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 18:52

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 18:52
Hi Lyndon, try them for a one stop shop. I was thinking maybe they have a better quick connect system available, that RYCO setup will have a shut off valve inside the chuck, the other part that's on the pump outlet that the fitting in the pic plugs into, it may be restrictive as its really meant for air pressure. A chuck without a shut-off is what you really want. I'm sure they will have everything you need and they have walk in, counter sales to the public. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 919761

Reply By: nick g1 - Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 23:42

Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 23:42
I too did what you are tying to do now yrs ago on another vehicle. Extended the shower hose so l could use it on either side of the car. Its very important that it is airtight or the flow is not constant and there's nothing worse than a spluttering shower.
As previous person said, all fitting you require l got at Pertic who do Hydrolic and air fittings.
AnswerID: 640707

Sponsored Links