offline navigation

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 10:43
ThreadID: 143782 Views:5639 Replies:4 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I have just bought ExPloroz Traveller and have a cellular iPad, but am still unsure how i navigate offline. Can anybody give me some tips please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 11:03
The best tip is to read the manual.
AnswerID: 640723

Reply By: George_M - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 11:08
I assume you've downloaded your mapset.

A good place to start is the Map Layers button in the top right of your screen - between the speedo and magnifying glass icons.

Open the Map Layers Page and tap Offline Maps.

The online manual is also useful.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640724

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 12:49
When you say you want to "navigate offline", what do you mean by "navigate"?

Ie, do you want to create a trek when off line, or do you want, while off line, to use a trek that you've already created when on-line or do you want to navigate to a place or address (while off line), or perhaps just monitor your position on the map as you drive? Etc.

If you could better describe the problem that will help avoid a lengthy answer covering all possibilities that would just be a paraphrase of the manual.

The first thing to do, though, is to read the manual if you haven't already done so and then, perhaps, ask here about something you don't understand.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640726

Follow Up By: Member - Barbara C3 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 17:53

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 17:53
thanks Frank. I want to navigate to a place or address while off line and also monitor my position on the map as I drive
FollowupID: 919776

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 18:32
Read the manual barbara, it tells you exactly what you want to know. You cannot expect others who have read the manual to do the work for you.
FollowupID: 919779

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 20:24
Hey Wicket

Nothing related to Barbara's post really but some people, including myself, have read the manual a dozen times and not being tech savvy, struggle with what the manual says and what they can and cannot actually achieve on the screen that others find so easy !

As you live in the same state as myself, I would be more than happy to supply you with a bottle or box of your favourite beverage if you could help me out with some of the basics of on screen navigation !!

After 50 years of paper maps it's a big step up to moving maps on your dashboard :)

Cheers - the techo dunce
Gazz

Ps don't ask me to programme the tele - that's the grandkids job lol

FollowupID: 919780

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 20:35

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 20:35
Nicely put Gazz. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 919781

Follow Up By: GarryR - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 07:40

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 07:40
yes like myself i have trouble and understanding , thus I require help for things to be explained. Even Judy gets a bit annoyed when I keep asking questions. Well spoken Gazz for those those that are not tek savvy
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919784

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 08:48

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 08:48
Hey Gazz and Garry, why not post your questions on the forum ? Someone should be able to help.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919786

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 09:00

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 09:00
I feel your pain chaps, I just dont like the way Traveller navigation/routes work, its cumbersome and not in the least intuitive , so I will do you a favour and let you see what I use , it’s easy as. BUT only from apple store, free version available.
https://mapout.app/
FollowupID: 919787

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 09:48

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 09:48
Hi Barbara,

"thanks Frank. I want to navigate to a place or address while off line and also monitor my position on the map as I drive"

The routing engine that Traveller uses to create turn-by-turn instructions (and the line on the map that follows roads and streets) lives in the cloud and is not available when off-line. If you try to set up a destination when off line you will get an as-the-crow-flies result. Also, you won't be able to look up a street address - that, too, requires on-line services.

However, if you plan your journey when you have internet (ie, on line), Traveller creates the route and turn by turn instructions and stores them in your device so that they continue to work when you drive outside internet coverage, ie off-line. To see your progress on the map when off-line you will need to download and pay for the EOTopo 2021 mapset if you haven't already done so. You do this via Datamanager.

To create such a route, called a "Trek" in Traveller parlance, browse the map or use the search icon (magnifying glass, top right) to search for a destination in Places. Once chosen, click or tap the green squiggly line (the Goto icon) that appears in the Place's label. This will open the navigation panel. Click/tap the green Begin Navigation button and navigation will start. You might be offered a number of route alternatives. Choose one and off you go.

To navigate to an address, click/tap the search icon . Choose Address. Type in the address and when the correct one appears, select it. In the window that pops up, choose Create New Place. The default name will be a waypoint with a number, eg Wpt023. You can leave that or change it if you wish. Scroll down and click the Save button. The map screen will open showing your new waypoint at the address you typed in. As above, click/tap the green squiggly Goto line and a route will be created to that address. In the nav panel that opens, select the green Begin Navigation button, choose a route if more than one is offered and you're on your way.

There is more to this, but this should get you started.

Off-line Navigation
First, you need to pay for and download the EOTopo 2021 mapset if you haven't already done so. You do this through Menu/Datamanager. Once done, in the Map Layers tool choose Offline Maps. This will enable you to monitor your progress via the moving map while off line.

As I said in the first paragraph of this post, creating a turn-by-turn navigation route will not be possible when off-line. The best you can do is as-the-crow-flies using the same steps (above) as for on-line navigation. But with the off-line maps installed you WILL be able to monitor your progress as you drive.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919788

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 18:52
Great reply (as usual) Frank. Should get Barbara on her way.

This post of yours tickled my fancy more, although not quite as much as Wicket's admission re Traveller above. The irony.
"Hey Gazz and Garry, why not post your questions on the forum ? Someone should be able to help."

Not sure the humour was intentional in either case but it brought a smile to my dial, as did Gazz's post.
FollowupID: 919793

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 19:22
Thanks Bazooka. I wasn't trying to be funny, but if you got a giggle out of my post then that's not a bad thing.

Cheers mate
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919794

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 20:38

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 20:38
Hey Frank

Just to give you a quick idea on how much of a luddite I am - when I got my first computer, it took me an hour and a half to find the "any" key :)

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 919796

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 21:57

Thursday, Jun 02, 2022 at 21:57
But Gazz, you found it!!! Very few have, not even Bill Gates. LOL

Back in the eighties, many computers were named after a fruit. A major one still is. Here's something you might like - It's a classic, IMO.

Link.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919798

Follow Up By: Member - Barbara C3 - Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 12:28

Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 12:28
thanks very much for your help Frank I think I understand it now. I have read the manual many times and it does not make it clear in my opinion. Gazz I dont think we should go on a trip together. We'd probably get lost.
FollowupID: 919801

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 14:16

Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 14:16
Hey Barbara

My first tour business was called.... Pistlostandhungry 4wd adventures and boy weren't they an adventure lol

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 919802

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 15:09

Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 15:09
Barbara, Gazz and Garry,

This Quick Start Guide might be useful. It was written for an earlier version of Traveller, but what it deals with is common ground so might help you get started.

Let me know how you go - good or bad or indifferent.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919804

Follow Up By: GarryR - Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 15:54

Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 15:54
Thanks for the link Frank. I got Judy to put it on the desktop for me to try and read. Thanks for your help
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919805

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 18:36

Friday, Jun 03, 2022 at 18:36
Howdy Frank

Sincerely appreciate your time and effort on this !

You, along with this thread has now got me motivated to get on top of my recently new head unit and it's navigational issues ( not mine lol hahaha )

The unit came with built in street navigation and I have no problems with that - well very few anyway.

And good luck to Barbara and Garry with this as well - and should the trio of us tech savvy troglodytes get it sorted perhaps we should plot a destination and a route to arrange a get together ! So should that happen and Barbara and Garry need any tips and pointers on consuming copius amounts of beer and joke telling around a campfire - I'm the man for that :) :) lol

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 919806

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 13:02

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 13:02
Hi Barbara. As well as this site's pages :
EO Traveller
there are some useful youtube videos which should help you get started. You will need to buy and download maps to navigate of course. Presumably you've already done that.

Eg:
All Off Road Beginner Tutorial

Go to youtube and search 'Exploroz Traveller' for more.
AnswerID: 640727

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 13:37
That's a great tutorial thanks.
I just bought an updated phone so I can purchase the Exploroz maps & navigate offline.
I will be sure to watch it in detail when I make the purchase in a few days.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 919773

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2022 at 14:17
Stefan also has a review which might interest you Stu:
AOR Traveller Review
FollowupID: 919774

Sponsored Links