News from the Birdsville Hotel

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2022 at 09:40
ThreadID: 143819 Views:4106 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
NEWS FLASH!

Real world Diamantina River and road update.

We are getting a huge amount of phone calls and reading a large number of inaccurate posts on social media regarding the current flow of water past Birdsville heading south through the Channel Country.

Some straight forward facts are as follows.

• Most importantly, don’t believe everything you read on social media
• Most news articles outside of ABC are incorrect and dramatized
• No, Birdsville is not cut off from the outside world. This is far from the truth and its very much business as usual
• No, this is not a “major” flood
• Yes, you can still travel in and out of Birdsville with no hassles at all using the northern road via Bedourie
• Yes, Bedourie has plenty of fuel
• Yes, the road is closed between the Birdsville Race course and the township of Birdsville due to this reasonably normal Chanel Country flow, don’t panic this isn’t forever
• Yes, we are still seeing tourists successfully crossing the Simpson Desert daily without issue
• No, Eyre creek is not in flood
• No, we do not have tourist’s stranded in Birdsville, they can easily drive out to the North at any time they please. Most have stayed on to enjoy this amazing display of mother nature
• No, the town is not running out of food
• No, the air force is not flying food supplies into Birdsville
• No, the town is not running out of diesel or petrol
• Yes, we have ample amounts of aviation fuels in stock
• No, the Hotel is not running out of beer
• No, the road has not washed away
• No, a Unimog did not fall through a hole in the Diamantina bridge
• No, the SES have not had to do emergency call outs in the flood boat
• No, this flow will not have an impact on the Big Red Bash
• Yes, the entire township is very much open for business and are enjoying a constant flow of visitors
• Yes, we are all ok. This is a normal nature event that can happen after northern rain fall
• Yes, the water will recede, that’s the magic of the Lake Eyre basin
• Yes, you need to plan your routes and do your research prior to departing on your trip, this should be normal practice regardless of what the Diamantina River is doing
• Yes, now is the best time to witness this breathtaking region to see the full beauty of the Channel Country
• Yes, we believe that Social Media gossip is worse than the game of Chinese whispers

All jokes aside, road and river interruptions have always been a part of remote area travel. This is all part of the journey, trip planning, diversions, challenges, adventure and the unknow is a part of the challenge that in the end leads to a wonderful feeling of self-achievement when you do arrive at your Outback bucket list destination.
Travel safe and enjoy the natural wonder that is the Channel Country, we can’t get enough of it!

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 17 Moderator

Reply By: rimfire - Thursday, Jun 09, 2022 at 15:25

Thursday, Jun 09, 2022 at 15:25
Do you think the Birdsville track over the bridge will be open in time for the bash.
We are coming from W.A. so we can go in from the north but it means we need to make that call by the 20/6 when we leave .
AnswerID: 640816

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 10, 2022 at 09:33

Friday, Jun 10, 2022 at 09:33
Hi Rimfire,

For the best advice regarding how the river behaves with regard to receding levels, best to contact The Birdsville Hotel directly. I merely copied the report that they issued a couple of days ago.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919870

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Jun 09, 2022 at 17:07

Thursday, Jun 09, 2022 at 17:07
Great post Macca - drives me nuts the rubbish you see on social media sometimes.
And you're right, the Channel country is amazing when the water is flowing.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640817

Sponsored Links