Electric Brakes

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:37
ThreadID: 14390 Views:1658 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi There,

Can anyone please give me some info on Electric brakes on Off Road Camper Trailers. Should you have them or not and what are the benefits etc or the disadvantages of having and not having them

Really appreciate your help.

Kriso
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:48

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:48
Kriso,

Just my opinion, but I reckon they should be mandatory on all trailers. When you're out on the road doing the 110klm limit and trying to stop in an emergency, the brakes on your vehicle were not designed to cater for the extra weight of a trailer (even if it below the legal threshold of 750kg). This also holds true when going down slippery bush tracks too....the last thing you want is to look out your side window and see your trailer beside your vehicle as it tries to overtake you.

Properly set-up with a good controller, the driver can "manage" the brakes from his/her seat; including being able to operate the trailer brakes on their own; useful if your trailer gets the wobbles up at speed.

The disadvantage/s are that they can be a bit finicky and need a bit of maintainence, but nothing so bad that I would ever consider not having them.

Go for 'em mate

AnswerID: 66531

Reply By: Member - Graham T (VIC) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 15:23

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 15:23
Hi Kriso,

I agree totally with Roachie and would not tow without them. Go for it, they are worth the investment.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 66533

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:38
Roachie's on the money ... give him a lolly.

Agree 100%

Cheers
AnswerID: 66543

Reply By: gonebush - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:58

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:58
Another advantage is on slippery tracks (on the flat or downhill), you can quickly apply the trailer brakes on and off manually whilst keeping the power on the vehicle wheels....this can help to keep the whole rig in a manageable line.

Not advisable though if the trailer gets way out of line because it can then drag the rear of the vehicle offline as well.
AnswerID: 66547

Sponsored Links