Safest Melbourne to Atherton Tablelands route while Pregnant?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 09:27
ThreadID: 143907 Views:4593 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Some friends are coming up to Cairns from Melbourne and one is about 2 months. Just wondering what the safest route as far as access to hospitals and all bitumen is concerned?

1 - via Cobar/Bourke/cross into QLD at Barringun/Charleville/Barkaldine/Muttaburra/Hughden/Lynd

Is the Muttaburra section and Lynd section still mostly gravel?

2 - via Dubbo/cross into QLD at Hebel/St George/Roma/Rolleston/Emerald/Charters/Lynd (or Townsville)

It's about a 200km difference (3h) but is the eastern route safer/better road condition?

They are looking at doing this in 2 or 3 nights.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:09

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:09
Do you mean 2 months pregnant or 2 months before birth?
If the former then I can't see anything to worry about.
AnswerID: 640938

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:25

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:25
Hi George,
To my mind, they would do better to stick with main routes. Melbourne to Dubbo up the Newell Hwy then through Miles, Rockhampton to Cairns on the Bruce Hwy. Taking shorter (?) back routes maybe OK if you are a rally driver but the average motorist will do better on highways. Besides, there are amenities all along the main route.
If you dislike the Bruce Hwy, then from Miles go through Emerald to Cairns.... it is actually my preferred route to Cairns from the Sunshine Coast.
I have recently done Brisbane to Bendigo using the Newell and it was a very good road. Not a lot of traffic and mostly trucks that maintain the speed limit.

As for time, it is about 3000km no matter which way, which would require at least 5 full days driving in my book. It's not much fun driving 10+ hrs/day, pregnant or not.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640939

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:31

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:31
Hi George,

If she is only 8 weeks pregnant, I unless she has some underlying health conditions, I don’t think she will have anything to worry about. I would agree that Allan’s route would be the best, Newell Highway to Toowoomba, then follow the Bruce Highway.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640940

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 11:35

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 11:35
HaHa,You must remember Queensland hospitals are only for Queenslanders?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 640942

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 16:56

Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 16:56
We are Victorians & have been in living & travelling in north Queensland since October 2019.

We both now have Queensland Health Service medical records.

First visit to a Queensland service was when we had just come across the Gulf, at Normanton. We had no Queensland address. We have since house sat & caretaken in a few locations, but there has been no difference between before & since we have had (temporary) Qld addresses. We have found that so long as you have a medicare card it's no different to in our home state & once away from major centres everything is bulk billed.

Our experience of the Queensland health service has been second to none.
Normanton Hospital, Mossman Hospital (outpatients), Cairns Base Hospital (Gastroenterology dept - consultation , diagnosis & ongoing treatment & care has been fantastic ), Dimbulah Health Clinic, Mareeba Hospital (Emergency severe allergic reaction requiring adrenaline) Coen , Weipa & Lockhart River for Covid & Flu Shots, & most recently a general check up with the usual blood tests etc at Lockhart River Aboriginal Health Clinic, with the visiting RFDS staff.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 920055

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 18:37

Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 18:37
Cuppa, being at an isolated location you probably missed the Queensland premier being interviewed. She actually said”Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders”. We all know that Medicare covers all Australian citizens in Australia.
That dumb comment just got people talking?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

FollowupID: 920057

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 19:45

Friday, Jun 24, 2022 at 19:45
Ahh I see. You're right I had missed that (& no doubt a lot more too - I know labour won gov't but beyond that - have been pretty out of touch!).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 920058

Reply By: George C - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 11:39

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 11:39
Thanks all, 8 weeksshe is older so risk in first 3 months than later.

Anyway the latter more easterly route seems better and we have done it before as well on trips south.
AnswerID: 640943

Reply By: Rod N - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 12:16

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 12:16
Do a Google maps and look at St George, Roma, Emerald, Charters Towers, Townsville, Cairns.
We have done Toowoomba, Roma, Mission Beach in the last couple of weeks. Roads are quite OK.
Muttaburra, Hughenden lot of dirt, in that area the road of choice is Aramac, Torrens Creek. The last bit of dirt is being sealed as we speak.
Hughenden, The Lynd still has unsealed but roadworks are happening to seal it all.
Of course check road closures, there has been a lot of rain out that way.
AnswerID: 640944

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 03:23

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 03:23
Hi George
I reckon your second option is by far the best. Driving out to the coast adds miles to the trip and there are considerable delays on the Bruce Hwy due to rebuilding at the moment apparently.
The road through the Lynd from Hughenden to Oasis Roadhouse still has sections unsealed and being rebuilt. I’m pretty sure the Muttaburra section is still unsealed so out to Roma etc would be better for her.

Cheers
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640961

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 07:36
At 2 months she could go anyway she wanted. Nothing to worry about. I,d be more worried about driving long distances every day!! 2-3 nights means too many hours a day on the road. Proserpine to Ingham is a long drive due to roadworks(roadworks are adding an extra 3/4 of an hour on if you catch the red lights).
AnswerID: 640962

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 23:53

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2022 at 23:53
An hour or two of delays during the whole trip is not much extra in that distance. It is better to do those 5 to 20 minute delays than tackle the rougher western roads. A lot of them are like driving on roler-coasters.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920041

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2022 at 07:44

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2022 at 07:44
“…….like driving on roller coasters.”

While unlikely to be part of the itinerary, avoid the section between Moura & Rolleston. It is just as Peter described!

And for future reference, the Hann H’way, through The Lynd, has only 4 sections of gravel left, totally no more than 37kms.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920042

Sponsored Links