Using the LINK button to include a web address (URL) in a post .

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2022 at 15:08
ThreadID: 143974 Views:4740 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked
This topic has hijacked two threads so it's reposted here so it can be discussed without distracting from another topic and can be more easily referred to if anyone wants to do that.

When you copy and paste a web address (URL) into a post on this forum it may or may not work as a clickable link. Generally, shorter URLs may work and longer will likely not but there's no fixed rule about how many characters make the cut-off point.

However, if you use the Link button under the edit window to insert a link it will *always* be clickable.

This is written from the perspective of using a laptop or desktop computer. If you're using a small device like a phone or tablet, the copy and paste techniques differ between brands and devices, so you'll have to adapt.

I'm using a Windows laptop.

1) Get your desired web page loaded up and displaying in your browser. This could be any page but the example used here will be a Youtube video.
2) Click in the address line of your browser. The address will expand to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnS5rDvI2pQ and be highlighted:

3) Press CTRL C (or right click and Copy) to copy the highlighted Youtube address.
4) Start writing your post in the EO forum
5) At the point where you want to link to the video, click the Link button under the edit window:

6) In the window that opens, use CTRL V (or right click and Paste) to paste the copied address into the URL/Address box. Youtube addresses are short and will fit in the box, but some others that you might want to link to are really long and will overflow the box. Don't worry about that, all of the address is stored.
7) In the Description box type a word or two, like "Link" or "Youtube link" - whatever is appropriate to context. It will look like this:

8) Click the Insert button. Some code that looks like this will be inserted into your post:

url=https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnS5rDvI2pQ]Youtube link[/url

9) Finish writing your post, Preview and Submit it as usual.
10) If you followed to this point, the link should look something like this:

This Youtube link shows how to use a boatloader on a camper.

The underlined words are clickable and will open the Youtube video.

It looks a bit daunting with 10 steps, but once you've done it a couple of times it's easy as.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Jul 03, 2022 at 22:12

Sunday, Jul 03, 2022 at 22:12
Basketball. All good, except the bit about right click etc…….no such thing on an iPad.

This is the only site I’ve been on that doesn’t allow a highlighted site to be pasted straight onto it.

I’ll have a bit of a play and see if I can master the act with an iPad ?

OK, I may have worked it out…thank you !!
AnswerID: 641049

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jul 03, 2022 at 23:21

Sunday, Jul 03, 2022 at 23:21
This forum behaves exactly the same as all the other forums I am a member of. Many times when you paste a URL into a message the forum converts that URL to a clickable link. There are also times when the forum produces a broken link. The forums I use use PHP software, are hosted by ProBoards or are based on other software. It does not matter whether what the operating system used by the poster is, links are likely to break if the poster just pastes a URL into the forum. On the other hand, members using operating systems from all the popular operating systems can successfully use the link insertion systems provided by the forums.

Note, Frank P said "If you're using a small device like a phone or tablet, the copy and paste techniques differ between brands and devices, so you'll have to adapt." Frank gave the method of using the link insertion system when using the most common operating system. Those who wish to operate on the forum should be able to fathom out the copy and paste methods for their operating system.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920136

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 09:01

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 09:01
Hi Gronk,

Yes, I also use an iPad, and found it quite easy once Frank explained to me with pictures. LOL. I am a “visual” person, I tend to “learn” better with pictures.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920138

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:31

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:31
Stuck here in Camden (not flooded, thankfully) in the rain, so have time on my hands. Do you want a thread on inserting pictures and files?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641051

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 16:44

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 16:44
How about a thread on wet weather camping?
FollowupID: 920149

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 16:48

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 16:48
Yes, the weather gods are frowning upon the campers and holiday makers, aren't they.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920150

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 23:08

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 23:08
Hi Frank, that would be useful to have to instruct members who are not particularly computer literate. Please go for it.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920155

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 23:36

Monday, Jul 04, 2022 at 23:36
Not so much people are computer illiterate, but some have never done it before or they only do it once every 2 yrs, so forget !

But the images and files tab looks pretty straightforward…for a computer illiterate !!
FollowupID: 920156

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2022 at 18:04

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2022 at 18:04
However would not be an issue if this forum followed the same format that 90% of other forums used rather than the bespoke version used here.
FollowupID: 920167

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 08:10

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 08:10
OzzieCruiser,

Have you ever tried to post a photo on the LCOOL forum? Exploroz site is much easier than LCOOL.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920171

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 13:35
Macca - no as I am not stupid enough to own a Toyota so have never used this LCOOL forum you talk of - I am a member of 18 forums around the world and they all use the same basic format - not some silly one off format.
FollowupID: 920172

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 13:46

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2022 at 13:46
Hi OzzieCruiser,

No need to apologise for your opening comment on your response, I have come to realise that some people are just naturally that way inclined.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920173

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Jul 07, 2022 at 15:32

Thursday, Jul 07, 2022 at 15:32
I didn't think I apologised for anything
FollowupID: 920179

Sponsored Links