EziAwn roof top tents

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1440 Views:6376 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
How simple is it to setup and packup the eziawn rooftop tents? My parents are considering one for their retirement if they aren't too much hassle.

Can they be operated by one person or is it easier with two?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel,
We bought a Howling Moon rooftop tent which is very similar but seemed to be better made than the Ezi Awn. We have been happy with the purchase and impressed with the ease of set-up and pack-up. There are a few con's however that have to be considered. The tents are quite heavy and a pain to take on and off the vehicle after each camping trip, hence they are more suited to a second vehicle where you can leave them on for the camping season (as we now do). They do make the car a little top heavy and can restrict you putting more gear up top, they also increase your fuel economy due to there square shape and ram effect. Another drawback is if nature calls during the night it can be tricky to navigate those ladders when you are half asleep. With that said they are great for touring where you want to pull over at the last minute and be fully setup in 5 to 10 minutes while you watch your freinds struggle with the conventional tent poles. Another plus is they are much warmer than a ground tent as the cold cannot radiate up through the ground, in summer they are high and catch the breeze when all the sides are opened up and keep the interior of the car much cooler especially when coupled with a pull out awning. Can be put up and down with one person with a small step but easier with two people.
Cheers
AnswerID: 4729

Follow Up By: Nigel - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

thanks for the info
FollowupID: 2005

Reply By: Geoff - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Nigel I have had an ezyawn tent for the past 1.5 years and I do agree with most of what Mark said . We made a lifting jig used with a small boat winch to lift the tent off the roof of the 4x4 leaving the roof rack bolted to the tent this makes it easy to place it back on the roof.As long as they dont mind climbing up a ladder they are a great way to camp.We can have the tent ready to sleep in in about 5-6 min in the dark.If they want more info you can e-mail at thewayes@iprimus.com.au and I can even send you photos or speak to you over the phone. I hope i have been of some help.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 4732

Reply By: Rob - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Nigel, Go to the Search option under Forum and type in ROOF TOP TENT
Check out the replies on 5 April 2002
AnswerID: 4734

Reply By: Bill - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel - speaking as a retiree, do get your folks to consider the centre pole style of tent. All of the drawbacks mentioned by others are quite correct and add one more - you can't take your vehicle away once your tent is set up. We use a 9x9 canvas centre pole tent. Perimeter pegs and one pole and it's done ... maybe 2 minutes. Very strong and stable. No ladders to negotiate when nature calls. Easy for one to erect, even easier for two! Everything in the vehicle so no top heavy feeling or extra wind resistance.
AnswerID: 4766

Sponsored Links