crossing the simpson which tracks

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 21:45
ThreadID: 14402 Views:1696 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all just purchased my desert parks pass for crossing the simpson in the last week in july, from mt dare to birdsville. after studying the maps and reading the
hand book am still wondering as to which tracks to travel on any advice.
regards linz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les Webb - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 22:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 22:38
I'm going Birdsville to Mt Dare...mixing tracks as much as possible..Knolls, Rig Road, past Lone Gum, Colson, French line...see trek notes
AnswerID: 66602

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:53

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:53
If you're in a hurry go the French Line, if you are'nt in a hurry mix it up a bit . Check out the trek notes in trip planning.
AnswerID: 66679

Reply By: mid life - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:51
Hi linz

Just back from a crossing from Mt Dare to Birdsville. Did the Rig Road to the Lone Gum then picked up the WAA line to Knolls Track, was great didn't see another vehicle till we hit the French Line.

If you want to experience the solitude that the desert can offer, stay away from the French Line it is very busy.

Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 66686

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 21:35
I agree... The French line at this time of the year is quite busy,,,, Rig Road is the go all the way to the K1 line to QAA.......
AnswerID: 66741

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:58

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:58
HI LINZ

Got back last week from s/d stay away from the french line it's painfully boring and slow. the other roads are much more interesting

regards jeff
AnswerID: 66783

Follow Up By: Tony J - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 15:55
Jeff,

Did you travell the Rig Road? If so, can you tell me what the condition of the track is, such as steep sand dunes or soft sand, rough etc etc. I'm planning a west to east crossing in August and would appreciate the info.

Regards
Tony
FollowupID: 327561

Follow Up By: French Line Veteran - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 16:21

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 16:21
French Line boring Jeff? You mortify me.

So long as it is still there and open and still being used, I'll be happy, boring or not. I'm still gripped by the grandeur of the place just like the first day, 41 years ago last week. So help keep it open and don't knock it please. This is the path that started all the others! I'm not upset, really...

... but while I am at it I'll give you an idea of what it has meant to Birdsville since the oilmen came. My first day in Birdsville there were 8 whites and 63 blacks and the town was out on its feet. Now? There's Ruth and lots of others.

sitemap

I jest -

Kevin M
FollowupID: 327727

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 07:31

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 07:31
G'day Linz

The sand ridges (thats what they really are not dunes) are just as high on the rig rd as anywhere else. Coming from the west you have a less gradiant on the approach and a steeper angle on the departure. I feel the roads are not as pot holed as opposed to the French Line. The scenery is a lot more varied,less traffic as well. As you go North towards the LONE GUM TREE between the ridges (called Swales) it adds a different dimention to the trip. When you look at the maps you will see that you can kind of zig zag your way across to poeppels corner then along the QAA Line (this track isn't to bad either. Eyre creek can be an issue when its full of water as you may need to take the bypass (about 65 klicks) but when i went thru it was bone dry, in fact the whole of the S/D tracks are well packed hard due to the late rains there in May/June You shuold not encounter any water along the way. Hope this helps some.

regards jeff
AnswerID: 66903

Sponsored Links