Joints Replaced

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:28
ThreadID: 14417 Views:1654 Replies:14 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
No not that kind of joint, and not even the kind from the butcher. I am talking about CV joints in the Team Cruiser. I spent a lovely weekend in the carport with the rain replacing the CV joints, swivel hub rebuilds and replacing the wheel bearings. Added to this new shockies, full service etc etc.

What a great clean job! There are three reasons for my post:

1. To glot that I got it all back together and it even drive it now without the tick tick tick.
2. I used the OilSafe prize products that we had in the OilSafe comp a month or so ago. I must say that I am now going to contact OilSafe to get some more of these excellent products. The hand pump made the diff and gearbox oil fills clean and under 2 mins. I used to sit with an oil pump and load the pump and pump it in - never again. For whatever it costs I will be getting some more containers and pump units so that I can have one for diff & gearbox, one for LSD diff and another couple for sump oils. These products are very good quality. BTW: This is NOT A PAID COMMENT, I was given the products (thanks OilSafe) however I am not being paid to write this - I was just very impressed with the gear.
3. To tell you all that I am not only a computer nerd, I do like getting my hands, clothes, carport floor and everything else dirty, this dirtyness was not due to the Oil Safe gear it was the lovely runny grey moly grease that is meant to be in the swivel hubs.

Q. How many inner oil seals did I destroy trying to get them to go in straight? For those that have undertaken this job you will know what I mean. When someone posts the correct answer I will tell you of the rest of the funny story of Saturday afternoon.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:42

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:42
Q. How many inner oil seals did I destroy trying to get them to go in straight?

None?
AnswerID: 66647

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:16

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:16
No - I have a few dead seals (not the swimming ones) in the bin.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 327394

Reply By: Peter Guy - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:47
Yes I must agree - the oil safe pump and container are brilliant,fairly priced and made in WA. I recently puchased the pump and contailners and for a change am looking forward to changing the diffs and gear box. No more lying under the patrol for what seems hours pumping piddly quantities of oil at every stroke and having to hold the end of the plastic tubing onto the pump out let when using the thick oils.
When I purchased the oil safe pump they even gave me a complementary cap and tee shirt-I do look the part now!!
AnswerID: 66651

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:41

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:41
Peter, are you the one who works for a photocopier mob?
FollowupID: 327402

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:58
Yes Rod - Guilty as accussed!!
FollowupID: 327429

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:28
I've handled some variations in the past.
FollowupID: 327434

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:53
Its gotta be one of the dirtiest jobs there is doing swivelhub seals, and repacking the CV's...

AnswerID: 66652

Reply By: Bros - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:25
David,
The best part of doing all these jobs yourself is the Glotting afterwards.
Cheers
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 66661

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:38
Come on guys how many it is more than 1 and less than 6, then you will get the rest of the story.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 66665

Follow Up By: Bros - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:47
David,
I'll go for three.
Cheers
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 327406

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:13
David
I just did mine on the GQ.
I'll guess 2 each side. That makes my guess 4. Gee I'm great at maths.:)
Bigbear
FollowupID: 327413

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:11

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:11
Bros,

Yes it is three I will write the rest of the story now and post it at the end of this thread. Give me a few mins to write it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 327426

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:39
Done my a little while back. Was going to have it all done in a day. One of me mates said two days, I said B/S. But he was right.
For filling with oil I use a pressurised garden spray bottle, 5lt, works a treat.
AnswerID: 66667

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:44
AnswerID: 66668

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:46

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:46
Very close - I have to go out to a client and a visit to ARB now I will check when I get back and see what the guesses are.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 327405

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:01
AnswerID: 66673

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 15:01
OK, so if 1,3,4 & 6 are out I'll go 5 coz a computer geek (your words) is likely to take more goes than 2. (plus you said a few in the bin which is more than 2)
AnswerID: 66674

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:14

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:14
David there is one seal per side but not sure how many you buggered up so I would guess you would know how after two per side.
AnswerID: 66681

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:45

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:45
Ok Bros got it with the guess of three.

Now the rest of the story.

First thing Saturday morning I get up and go to get the parts - 2 front CV's, swivel hub rebuild kit, 2 x wheel bearing kits, 2.5kgs of LMM grease, 1 container of HTB grease, 5 litres of diff oil etc etc.

We are a one car family, so I get home and carefully checks all the parts. I then preceeded to pull the passenger side to pieces (this is the CV that was totally shot). After a few hours it is all stripped down and cleaned. I then start the rebuild and yes first thing to do is replace the inner oil seal. I insert it nice and square and whack, whack whack - OH crap it did not go in square and was buggered. Hum one more in the box. OK - be very very careful and start again whack whack whack whack - double crap another one that did not like my installation method. Now I am sitting on the carport floor with the front end in pieces, no more inner oil seals and no vehicle to go and get some more. TAXI - take me to the local Repco and bring me home - I purchased all they had left being 3 seals. Home I go with my 3 seals for $15 and cab for $38. Expensive seals.

Get the next one out of the packet and devise a new tool from a big bolt, nut and washer - couple this with a slab of steel line it all up whack, whack whack and bloody bloody crap again. Now a very unhappy David gets the sh1ts, gets another one out using the same procedures and them tap, tap, tap,tap, tap, tap,tap, tap, tap,tap, tap, tap,tap, tap, tap,tap, tap, tap for what seems like ever and bugger me (no please don't) it was in square and looked fine - Horray its in. Rebuild the rest of the passenger side - completed after 7 hours. Had to fill the oil up and drive to the Variety Club event scrutineering - We to this and spoke to a mechanic telling him about the job and how upset I was now that I had to go home and rip out the new diff oil and do the other side. He came up with the novel idea to jack up the drivers side as high as I could as this would stop the oil draining out (great idea). Went home did the other side no problem 2.5 hours including replacing the shocks.

There the rest of the story - The moral is make sure you have heaps on inner oil seals if you are going to do this job yourself.

For those interested in this job here are some pics [ View Image]and [ View Image]

Bros, for the correct guess you can have a stubby holder - please use the Shop system and select payment type call - add a comment saying Free Stubby Holder per David.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 66685

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:13

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:13
Geez David...pretty flimsy jacking devices you have there. Better get some HD jack stands after the next membership drive :-)
FollowupID: 327431

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:25

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:25
David, there must be something wrong with your tapping device :-), I got both seals in right the first try. I did make a thingie to tap them squarely, though.
What I did find difficult is how to get the old seal out. Any tricks known by the wise men on this forum? I really do not want to spend megabucks for the special Toyota service tool to remove these oil seals.
Klaus - in Perth
FollowupID: 327507

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:58

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:58
Tapping device now works that is what I built after the first two and it took me one more try to get it sorted - no dramas with doing the job now reckon I could break them down and rebuilt the lot in around 1.5-2hr per side.

As for the removal it was a piece of cake using a set of multigrips - the width of the neck on my cheap yellow handle multigrips was perfect to reach onto the back of the seal and a few hits with the hand on the handle had it out in seconds. I did not grip the seal with the grip instead just use the end jaw to connect to the back of the seal and the round end of the same jaw was able to reach the other edge of the seal and created a perfect lever. Hard to explain very easy to do. This was the easy part.

I would almost reckon there could be a market to make a removal and re-installation tool for this job.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 327512

Follow Up By: Bros - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:22
David,
Many thanks for the stubby holder and may your c/v's c/v forever.
Cheers
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 327551

Reply By: mr diamond - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:09
but the good thing is david when you do them again soon it wont take half as long.
AnswerID: 66690

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:36
Yes he will!
FollowupID: 327438

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:40
The underside of that car lookss far too clean. Where's the photos of having to chip away the mud to get to anything?
AnswerID: 66760

Follow Up By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:44

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:44
Also, $38- for a cab is rediculous. You have thousands of people on this site at any time night or day & many are based in Perth. I wouldn't mind betting a forum post would have a volunteer at your door within an hour either with the seals or at least willing to take you to Repco or suitable alternative (Whitfords Tavern may have been a better location)
FollowupID: 327497

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:53

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:53
Good point Mike. If anyone was stuck for anything in my neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to help out if possible. I have my mobile # included in my profile.
FollowupID: 327499

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:54

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 00:54
Maybe but at 3:30PM on Saturday and needing the car to move in the morning added a little pressure to the equation. Not to mention SWMBO who had to walk to a party down the road in the rain and needed a lift to Joondalup first thing in the morning. Next time I stuff up my seals I will post and ask, I was going to ask unhappy neighbour however they still have not got the car back.

The clean underbody - well I did spend 30 mins with the degreaser and kartcher (spelling - where is that spell checker when I need it) before I got started.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 327511

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:20

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:20
Read this old tale again today & instantly thought of you David.

OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR WOMEN:
1) Pull up to Ultra Tune after driving 10,000 kms since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later write a cheque and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money Spent:
Oil Change $55.00
Coffee $2.50
Total $57.50

OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEN:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, oil filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a cheque for $95.00.
2) Stop by Liqourland and buy a carton of beer, write a cheque for $30.00, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car. Jack car up.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end spanner.
9) Give up and use pliers.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: Splash hot oil on face and arms in process. Swear.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up, crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among rubbish in wheelie bin to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) A mate shows up, finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow.
18) Sunday: Skip mowing lawn and taking kids to footy because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it to recycle.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to Liqourland buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23) Dump first Litre of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawn mower fuel.
29) Discover that first Litre of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid pliers tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorpan in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin swearing fit.
34) Throw stupid pliers.
35) Swear for additional 10 minutes because pliers hit Miss August (2002)
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh litres of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled
during steps 23-43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts $95.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $60.00.

Total-- $4230.00

But hey! - at least you know the job was done and you know the job
was done right!!!
AnswerID: 71375

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:06

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:06
Now - THAT is just plain funny! Love it immensly.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 331585

Sponsored Links