Trek Comment: Darling River Run

Looking at travelling from Menindee to Wilcannia on the East side of the Darling. Anyone got any places to camp here?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 25, 2022 at 16:46

Monday, Jul 25, 2022 at 16:46
Not many options unless someone has local knowledge. Plenty of camping around the Menindee Lakes, some options around Wilcannia, but nothing much in between as far as I can tell. Wiki Camps is bereft, as is EO Traveller. Nothing on any maps I have.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641249

Reply By: Briste - Monday, Jul 25, 2022 at 18:33

Monday, Jul 25, 2022 at 18:33
If you switch sides and do the west side you should stay at Nelia Gaari. I spent a couple of nights there in early April, and plan to go back. A lovely setting, esp with a full (but not overly-full) river, Eight well-separated excellent bush camps right on the bank of the Darling, each with fireplace and seating. Drop toilets and hot showers (actually they might be flush toilets, come to think of it). Patchy Telstra reception from some sites. Lovely hosts.

The problem might be the timing. The Central Darling Shire currently lists the east side as closed, and the west side as open with caution. In fact not much of the Darling run is open at present. Moreover I happened to notice a couple of weeks ago that the Nelia Gaari FB page said that four campsites were under water (I did say right on the river bank). The track in gets pretty muddy with only a couple of mm of rain, speaking from personal experience, although I think the problem at present is the amount of water coming down the system rather than out of the sky.
AnswerID: 641251

Sponsored Links