Nissan MQ Patrol gearbox noise

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:03
ThreadID: 14422 Views:3269 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

i need advice

I have a 1983 Nissan MQ Patrol 2.8 litre petrol (L28) with a four speed box.

The gearbox is noisy at the higher rev end in 2nd and 3rd Gears.
It is like a gearshift vibration and is enhanced when tightly grabbing the gearshift knob. (i have a noisy knob? - now thats a worry!!)

Seriously, I have removed the gearbox twice and ended up replacing all bearing in the box and the Input shaft. The gear all seem in top condition. Still it remains the same.
Is this a problem or is this a normal fault with this particular gearbox?

I would be extremely pleased if anyone could help and advise me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message

Regards

Gerry Noterey

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tour boy - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:52

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 14:52
Hi, is it like the toyota's in the respect that it has a plastic/nylon bush at the bottom of the gearstick?
If so it is probably worn. This causes the box to make noise in the way you described and will cause the box to wear early. In a tojo especially in 4th gear above 70kph if you gently ease the stick foreward as far as it will go (without knocking it out of gear) and it shuts up then it is the $5 bush.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 66671

Follow Up By: AustralianOutdoors - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:37
hi and thank you

i hope it turns out to be a $5.00 bush. The problem is, that if it is, i will have to bash my head into the bullbar for many minutes and repeat to myself many times " DO NOT REMOVE THE GEARBOX TWICE AND SPEND HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS THINKING I AM A GEARBOX MECHANIC, WHEN I AM IN ACTUAL FACT I AM A PART OF THE ENGINE - A DIPSTICK!!

Aw well, its all good fun.

Thank you again for your help tour boy.

Regards
Gerry Noterey
my website
FollowupID: 327427

Sponsored Links