“Places” Accuracy?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 08:17
ThreadID: 144314 Views:3532 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
What do you use when planning to visit a location? Places database or WikiCamps?

There is a lot of work with the Travellers App, but like many things, the places on the maps are only as accurate as those that are adding them.

Today there is a perfect case in Places of 2 location that are the same, but in 2 different locations - St Vidgeon - NT and St Vidgeon Ruins.

Is it a case of someone just adding a photo of a location with the attitude of no one will know if this is the correct location or not.

In the past when I took great care when adding new places, I would only ever add photos of the actual location, and have advised the moderation team on 3 seperate times of photos not relating to an actual location and the incorrect photos to be removed….but guess what, water off a ducks back and the inaccurate photos still in place and no response from the team.

Then you get the case of going to the database of the area you intend to visit, looking at the EOTOPO map and nothing showing, yet on the other hand WikiCamps has the correct location with the correct photos.

Those that have WikiCamps, look for this location in Katherine NT - Knotts Crossing. The map details and photos are accurate but nothing on the EO Database.

Come on EO, if you want people to use your Places Database in conjunction with your travellers app, there must be a serious overhaul of how places are added, photos made accountable in relation to the place they are added for.

This is something that has been ongoing for years and your Place Administration team MUST have to power to remove images that are wrong and not accurate.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 08:21

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 08:21
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641334

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 11:51

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 11:51

There ya go, Stephen :-)

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920442

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 12:00

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 12:00
That’s great Frank, but do you know why my request to remove a photo have not been answered?

I know your hands are tied, but 3 notifications for the one place, and nothing ever happened and no reason why not.

On one hand they want places accurate, but when there are photos not even in the same place, I have now given up trying to get it corrected.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920443

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:18

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:18
Stephen,

Which Old Coach Rd is the Cal Lal gate on? The Wentworth-Renmark Rd or the Chowilla Old Coach Rd?

The gate is currently shown on the Wentworth-Renmark Rd. Is that incorrect?
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920445

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:19

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:19
Great that you added the place, but to keep it accurate, can you please remove the last 2 photos, they are not at Knotts Crossing, only the Katherine River and the old crossing

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920446

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:23

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 14:23
Cal Lal Crossing is not on the main Renmark to Wentworth road, which the second photo is, while this crossing is on the Old Coach Road in Chowilla

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920447

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 15:14

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 15:14
OK, I have done what is required to remove the photo but it will take a while for the deletion to percolate through the system.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920450

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:04

Monday, Aug 01, 2022 at 13:04
St Vidgeon has been fixed.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641338