Border track/Centre track

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:49
ThreadID: 14442 Views:2113 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all......i am off with the kids for a drive tomorrow to visit rellies at karoonda in the mallee and coming home friday. My question is this.........I was going to come home via a detour to Pinaroo and down either of the 2 mentioned tracks and was wondering if this was a risky trip on our lonesome? No doubt there would be a heap of people there but not having done the track before just a bit iffy.

The Brewman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:14
Like anywhere I guess - do you have effective comms ? Being very cautious, I wouldn't be going into bush track areas with kids unless I had at least 2 comms options. How about the scenario ? .........You get a flat.....you have changing problems...it rains.......you can't move for a day or two - water ? tucker ? - shelter options need to be on hand. I do a bit of operating on a VKS737 radio network base....we have often had people broken down in places quite close to 'civilisation' but if you can't move, and people can't get into you (poor weather), then the distance to the nearest help or main road doesn't matter much. If you had a companion vehicle, the whole equation changes markedly in my view. Seems also
dodgy on counting on other people to 'be around'.
AnswerID: 66796

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 14:01

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 14:01
Thanks for the response Banjo. Some good points.
FollowupID: 327558

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:41
Depending on the amount of rain there are a few patches on the border track that may be a bit tricky, also a couple of tricky dunes to get over. The rest of the track is straight forward. The centre track wont be a problem. I wouldn't count on seeing anyone at all out there. Best bet is to give the Ranger a call at 08-8576-3690
AnswerID: 66798

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 13:51
Cheers Ray, a mate was on the border track last school holidays and said there were 100's and 100's of vehicles there. The camp spot where he had been alone the time before had about 200 campers he said.
I will give the ranger a call....thanks for the number :)
FollowupID: 327557

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 14:00

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 14:00
I have been there plenty of times and the most people i have seen there are a couple of vehicles along the way and actually havent seen them but just heard them on the uhf....

If you see more than 5 cars along there on any busy day i would be surprised....

But anyway,, the border or centre tracks are ok on your own if you are prepared....

There are dunes on the border which are quite hard at the bordertown end and the centre is pretty flat...

I have an older diesel patrol and i wouldnt hesitate to go the border......
I have a motorola uhf and can trigger a repeater the whole way...
AnswerID: 66799

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 16:30
G'day Brewman

Uncle and I did the track on our lonesome in March from the Murray River through to Little Desert NP in Victoria. Did not see a single vehicle until we drove across the Great Western Highway. The sand is soft in places and I had a bit of strife getting over the second last dune. It was midday and it was hot and I was too lazy to drop the tyre pessures down from 18psi so I found an easy way around the dune...very naughty I know but nevertheless. About 50km from the G Western Hwy the track is very hard to find and we got severely bushed and I had to winch a tree out of our way. Then the track ran in to property paddocks and disappeared. I backtracked and took a punt and drove west through a property and found a made road a little further on and then some bitumen and we ended up on the road to Wolseley after crossing the GW Hwy.

No worries doing it on your own. Just take it easy and enjoy the scenery and rop those tyres pressures :-)))
AnswerID: 66813

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 16:52
PS The other road through Murrayville is a 2wd track when dry but very slippery when wet.
FollowupID: 327572

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 21:45

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 21:45
Just for the record Willem..... and Hi also....

When you were at the end of Ngarkat and sitting at the intersection of those two dirt roads wondering which way to go "and you went straight" and got bamboozled in those properties which i had done once also,,, you take the right turn and it brings you out just inside Victoria not far from Bordertown...

Regards.......

PS.. We are having a trip to Bendleby Ranges on 28 -29th Aug..... Come along for the weekend,, its in your backyard almost...."Carrieton"....
FollowupID: 327632

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:13
Hello Voxson

Thanks for that info.

We are leaving in the morning for Beltana where we are minding two properties and some animals for the next 6 weeks. Will have to do 2 visits during that time back to Peterborough as well as two trips to Adelaide. Hoping to do some new tracks out on Warraweena Station and beyond and also hope to map them for EO. We are due back on 28 August and then I will be doing a quick trip to Melbourne before setting off on my Big Trip to the Western Deserts. So it is pretty much go, go, go...apart from the next 6 weeks when I hope to sit around and do some writing while the missus paints. Will have to give the Bendelby Ranges a miss this time but I am sure we will catch up again somewhere. Thanks for the invite anyway.
FollowupID: 327658

Reply By: navaraman - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 17:28
I did several tracks in and around Ngarkat/ Big desert travelling solo with my two boys on the Queen's B'Day weekend. Plenty of other cars on the borde track but didn't see more than 1 or 2 cars on the lesser used tracks. the driving was easy for the mosrt part due to rain dampening down the sandy stretches. the Murrayville - Nhill track was treacherous and very boggy in many places, only saw two other cars on that track but plenty of activity on the UHF. I tend to travel a bit on my own but it is always a risky thing, take plenty of food, water and sleeping bag in case you have an unplanned for night in the bush.
AnswerID: 66830

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 17:46
Hi brew, I have travelled the border track several times , but I think it is closed at the moment, National parks are stuffing it up and I believe it is closed at the moment or was recently, so ring National Parks and check up.
AnswerID: 66838

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:29

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:29
I am sure that I have read that it is closed from Scorpion Springs onwards. You can go to the "T" junction to the windmill, and thats all.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 66854

Follow Up By: REX.....(Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 21:59
they are cutting a 100 meter wide fire break around the edge of the park then buldozing the wood into heaps and burning it ,i was at pine planes last week saw the fire break looks like a bomb hit it a great hole cut ithrough the scrub
FollowupID: 327637

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 00:41

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 00:41
Don't know about your ass Rex but it sounds like someones ass should be on that fire.
FollowupID: 327669

Sponsored Links