Suspension for Simpson

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1446 Views:1615 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a late GQ, 90 K, 2.8 TD, am of across Simpson next year. I have Kings Springs Heavy Duty standard height in rear and will fit Polyair or similar soon. Otherwise front and rear is standard. I have had no problems with shocks fading. Will I need to replace shocks to avoid them going of across the dessert. I drive at reasonable speeds. I am happy with the ride height.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, you'll have no problems with standard suspension crossing the Simpson. The actual driving in the desert is not difficult - the main challenge of the trip is the planning - time, food, fuel, water etc. The only vehicle I've known to have trouble in the area is the disco - had to carry lots of extra petrol and rear clearance lead to much sand sbleeping.
AnswerID: 4765

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
Just returned from the Simpson in a Disco TD5. Used 110litres from Birdsville to New Crown (Mt.Dare dry) which was 660km. Disco Tdi used 85l, Defender Extreme used 100l, Jackaroo V6 and V6 Prado 150l, TD Landcruisers x2 150l (We zig-zagged a fair bit). None of the vehicles had any real problems making the crossing, though the track is currently very rough especially the QAA line. I have raised HD King springs, and if I returned tomorrow it would be with the Extra HD rears. The only vehicle in the group that contacted terra firma was one of the 100 series TD Landcruisers that had a hell of a lot of gear, full racks and one of those Kaymar dual spare wheel carriers. The Bar/tow hitch was very low, but it performed very well. Speeds on some days was as low as 15 - 20km/h, as the magnituded and frequency of the bumps in the sand work the vehicles very very hard. We crossed east to west
FollowupID: 2155

Sponsored Links