1987 Surf with 3Y motor

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 20:48
ThreadID: 14461 Views:2876 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all, am currently the owner of a Sierra (look give me a chance, I am upgrading afterall), looking to upgrade to a Surf. Have spotted one in Brisbane for a reasonable price, however, have a few questions regarding the 3Y 2.0L petrol motor in it, or more specifically, the auto gearbox mated to it.

Is it possible to track down a manual gearbox from a similar HiLux or Surf of same age, and doing a transplant? I frigging hate autos, especially off-road. Also, due to the EFI, how easy is it to throw a new chip in to boost the power output a little??

Also, has anyone got much of an idea how often the speedos are wound back when being shipped out of Japan? This vehicle looks immaculate and drives extremely well, and "apparently" has only 83k kms on the clock, which seems extremely low for an '87 model. Believable you think??

Any help would be muchly appreciated. Look forward to joining outings etc, once my transition to a Surf is complete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob! - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:36

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:36
Scotty,

Firstly, why do you want to change it to an auto. Say your '87 surf sets you back $7000, then you spend another half as much putting the manual in, and you'll essentially have a $7000 car for $10 000.

Since you're in Brisbane I imagine that you'll be doing a lot of sand driving which the auto just loves. I think that many people on this forum prefer auto, except in extreme situtations (down steep hills). But it all comes down to personal preference in the end. If I were you, and if you really want a manual, is to wait until you find a manual truck that you like.

As to "how much has the speedo been wound back?" Well, how long is a piece of string. For a car that's nearly 20 years old I wouldn't look at the speedo at all. If someone was going to the trouble of winding it back, why stop at 200 000 or even 150 000. Take it back to under 100 000 change the pedals, steering wheel and gear knobs and no-one will tell the difference. The most obvious sign of it being wound back is that the numbers don't line up. I've got a '92 import and the numbers are all over the place. However, I knew that when I bought it and adjusted the price accordingly.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck on your new perchase
R.

AnswerID: 66922

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:02

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:02
Yes the k's do sound strange, but do a compression test on the motor, check the gear box oil, suspension and radiator if all ok, who cares!
I have a 1995 3.0L TD surf and was also worried about going auto after having two manual 4bies prevously. Mate you will never ever ever ever ever go back to manual after having an auto off road. Downhill can be a problem, but there are some really good ways to solve that by using your break and throltle at the same time, simple and effective!
Don't know anything about the 2.0L EFI petrol??
Don't worry about parts, I just had an excellent experience this morning with Midland Toyota here in WA. I broke my rear sway bar saddle on the weekend up in the hills, walked in off the street, told him the exact model I had, he brought it up on the computer and said "is that the part?" Yup, he had one in stock, $16.70 and I was gone within 5 minutes. Excellent.

AnswerID: 66930

Sponsored Links