Which way do we go?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:10
ThreadID: 14467 Views:2178 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We want to head from Victoria to Queensland, with the ultimate goal being a cound couple of days on Fraser Isl with kids in-tow. This is a trip that we have often discussed, but (due to costs and inability to arrange time off work) we have not yet made.

Our challenge is to stay off the tar.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

Firstly, one of our group has recently expanded his 4WD and Solar fit-out business to include design and construction of a range of "SERIOUS" off-road campers. These things are beasts.

His goal is to take his base model prototype on "a little drive" through some challenging and varied terrain. The rougher the better.

Secondly, we (3 of us) have worked hard over the past few years to take ourselves from Sieras, and Ferrozas, both of which served us well over the years, to a 100 series Landcruiser with a lift that requires steps (or a 7ft min body height) to enter without straining, a 2002 TX Prado, and a 2003 GXL Prado.

The 100 series has had some work done to it including a lift, OME stabilizers and shocks, rails, etc. However the 2 Prados still behave like shopping trolleys.

I'm looking for advice on 2 points.

Firstly, what would members/contributers reccomend in regards to a suitable route, given that we need to bash the hell out of the camper, but also don't want to spend $$$ on working up the Prados?

Secondly, what "minor" alterations"/"Additions" should be made to the vehicles to ensure that we're not stranded 2 days out of Melbourne?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 00:13

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 00:13
If you want some good corrugations andbleepty roads you could go to Queensland via the Corner Country and Innamincka and then from there through the Jackson Oil Field and up north to Quilpie and then Blackall and up around the north of Carnavon Gorge and then follow your nose to Fraser. Those dirt roads will give you a fair shake. You wont have to adjust anything on the Prados but hope that nothing shakes loose.
AnswerID: 66895

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:16

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:16
We usually seek info from a range of sources when planning our trips. These include www.overland.com.au/destinations, Discover Australia by 4WD (Ron Moon) which has info on most of the popular 4WD treks and trips ranging from the CSR to day trips around Darwin, etc. Most of the 4WD magazines carry routine articles on 4WD destinations and trips.

This website also has trek notes, some wouldsuit your plan such as the Border Track and perhaps Little Desert.

Wizard
Darwin NT
AnswerID: 66908

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:22

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:22
I am a little confused here , I am asuming you have done trips around the high country in Victoria to test the trailer befoe enbarking on a big red trip

and I am guessing OME supply a 2 " lift kit for your 100 series . I also noted that it still has a stabilizer . I think you may have a heart attack when you actually see a lifted truck
AnswerID: 66910

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:09
I wrote this reply this morning withought having a coffee , I read it again tonight and realised I must have come out of the wrong side of bed . Sorry if I came accross as a smarta*s.
FollowupID: 327789

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:03

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:03
Two options.
1/ Outback as per Willem's suggestion
2/ Across the ranges
Everything in between just cruising

Other than tyres, would think the Prado's could do anything a 100 series towing a camper could do, just don't rush into anything and be sensible about it
Rolande
AnswerID: 67079

Sponsored Links