Advice - Welding Diffs

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 09:28
ThreadID: 14475 Views:1797 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Everyone.

I am doing a bit of research on the pro's & con's of having my front diff welded. I'm planning on getting a Lokka in the rear but I'm after the general consensus on this practice. The main reason I'd like to go down this path is $$$. My thoughts would be that the diff would only be active when the hubs are locked in and therefore there would not be any problems, like there would be in welding the rear. There are other issues like - I will have to wait till I'm actually offroad till I can lock my hubs in but i see that as a minor inconvenience. Also where in Adelaide could I get it done??
Thanks in advance. Any advice appreciated.

Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:42

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:42
You will find legality issues with it in some states.

www.outerlimits4x4.com for more info on the mod..

IMHO, why would you bother...

YMMV
AnswerID: 66925

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:09

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:09
A lot of people with Feroza's get it done as there are no avilble lockers for it. Apparently cost is somewhere around $250 and I can't see any leagal issue as it's not even engaged while driving on the road. (I may be wrong). As far as the heavy stearing etc goes while off road, they get around it by just locking one hub and hey presto your away, if you get stuck, hop out and lock the other one and away you go!
Personally on the little cars I can't see any problem with it, I would be concerened if you had a GQ or LC, but with your bus it shouldn't be a problem.
Why would you bother? Why would you not save $500 bucks to lock your front diff????? Why would you not want a locker on the front?????
My mate has got a wide track frozi and is looking at the exact same thing.
People go on about breaking steering and suspension etc etc etc, but it's really the same debate as the LC 100 front diff. Your more likely to break somthing when one wheel is going a million miles an hour and the it switchs to the other side or get sudden traction IMHO. Besides if you use your brains and only lock one side on rocky terain or gravel forresty tracks where there is no need for it to be locked, then why would you have any problems?
AnswerID: 66932

Follow Up By: Member - Spook (SA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 13:23

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 13:23
Thanks for your reply

I just can't seem to justify spending 600 or more for a lokka and about 1600 for and air locker. Especially for what I'll be using it for and the value of my truck.

There are just too many other things on the wish list.

I will look into it a bit more. Could you please let me know (if you remember) how your mate goes with his feroza.

Cheers
Brad
FollowupID: 327709

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:35

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:35
Not quite the same but ........

The guys in the WA Subaru Club put welded diffs in the back when they attend the 4WD Assoc yearly Club 'meet' - they get some raised eyebrows!!
They are bit hard to turn corners on the black stuff - fine for the weekend though.
AnswerID: 66964

Follow Up By: Member - Spook (SA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:46

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 15:46
Thanks for that Colin... I've heard it makes the steering a bit heavy but I need the exercise, LOL.

Love your signature!! :)
FollowupID: 327724

Sponsored Links