'Self Containment' requirements .....

Submitted: Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 11:57
ThreadID: 144878 Views:4250 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
I have heard that there is an increasing requirement to be 'self contained' at many of the free road side stops. Current van does not have a grey water tank. Only grey water would be from the sink, no shower on board. I am thinking of rigging up a 20L sealable bucket with lid to place under the drain. Has anyone else done this and is this acceptable?
Thanks in Advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 46 - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:45

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:45
Buy a grey water cart.
AnswerID: 641723

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 15:30

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 15:30
I have found this being self contained, and not allowed to stay at certain places really works against me as a bicycletourist. It is something I do partime( or used to do, not much in the last two years), and have been moved on by Karens when I have just arrived at said camping area, because obviously I haven't got a toilet or shower on board. They tell you about another place 50 km down the road, where you can camp, not realising it is 4pm and a 50km distance for me is 5 hours of riding, meaning I have to ride in the dark( which is one of the most dangerous things can do on bike after dark in Australia) I have been moved on numerous times, both on the bike and with our van and now campertrailer. With our campertrailer and van, we have always had a Porta Potty, that gives us about the same range as a van cassette. We have a portable shower invented by a young Aussie bloke, that only uses 1 litre of water for 2 people, and his special shower mat, that doesn't let water escape, and just air dries( no drips) in 1 hour. But apparently none of this is good enough.
FollowupID: 921057

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:52

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:52
Depends where you are.
Some authorities require the container to not be able to overflow when full.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641724

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 13:19

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 13:19
Whether it is acceptable or not depends on the individual camp site. In some it will be , in some it wont, There seems to be quite a variation in expectations. We found one place ( a dustbowl alongside a croc infested river) where the expectation was that you *must* have an onboard shower and a grey water tanks.

We think that some places deliberately use self containment rules to keep out the 'riff raff' in camper trailers & tents.

Thankfully there are far more places where public space is available to all, particularly away from the east coast.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641725

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 15:53

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 15:53
I think your comment on camper trailers and tents users being "riff raff" is a bit harsh. Surely you are not putting all of us in the same boat. For instance we have a 50l grey water tank under the trailer for the kitchen. We don't shower hence no grey water, when we stop at a caravan park for a night to replenish and fill tanks, we book a cabin for such things as having a great shower and rest in comfort. As for no2's we carry a portapottie which is emptied at a caravan dump point. As for having a pee, I bet that you have used a tree or two in your life time. Yes there may be the odd person who doesn't care about the wilderness, and for those your comment may be purposeful. There are many travellers that do do the right thing.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921031

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:10

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:10
Ha Ha. GarryR you should look at the pic at the bottom of my post showing our travel rig. It is a camper trailer. We travel much the same as you do (although have no grey water tank). We use minimal water & create minimal waste. We also use a Portapotti & empty it appropriately in appropriate places wjether a dump point or a hole in the ground well away from camp areas & water courses. Whether we choose a flannel wash or a shower should be no business of those who are responsible for free camps, the expectations should be about behaviour, not 'onboard facilities. We consider that we are folk who do the right thing & to be excluded from a site because we don't have an onboard shower was ludicrous. You have got the wrong end of the stick. We do not consider ourselves, or folk who travel like us to be 'riff raff', but we do think that those who treat us as such & seek to exclude us in favour of travellers with fancy motorhomes & caravans is indeed a bit harsh. To exclude travellers who are poor, disadvantaged, in cars, on motorcycles, on foot, on bicycles, or anything else from sites which for decades have been available for all, in favour of those with the money to afford fancy RV's is .......pure & simply ........wrong in my book.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921032

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:42

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:42
I am sorry if I miss understood your comment. But you are right about those of us that do the right thing and being excluded due to not being up market as you described. Thanks for the response back, and my I did not mean to offend your comment, it was just the way I read it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921033

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:49

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:49
No offence taken at all Gary.

Hope things are beginning to warm up a bit for you down there in Gippsland. We miss our previous home down there in the Strzelecki ranges (Callignee South) like crazy, but not the temperatures, having acclimatised to the tropical north during our travels over the past few years.

FollowupID: 921034

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 17:01

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 17:01
Yep still cold and damp but not the severe frosts o the past. We are gearing up now for another trip in November. I just came back from Townsville after a week with family. Boy o boy what a temperature shock.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921036

Reply By: Member - Dick L - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:07

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 16:07
WikiCamps had many gravel pits and roadside spots marked as "Must be Self Contained" by the "Self Righteous".Places that were obviously not self contained sites eg The Gibb River Rd had many marked like this.
WikiCamps seems to have gone through and removed a lot of these false entries now and good on them.
I got sick of updating these sites as I found them n my travels.

AnswerID: 641729

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 09:58

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 09:58
Totally agree Dick, that is the biggest failing of apps such as WikiCamps that are “user updated”, someone enters incorrect or inaccurate information, and it just gets repeated “ad infinitum”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921052

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 20:37

Monday, Sep 26, 2022 at 20:37
The "problem" has been the dirty grubs who have left their business and metres of toilet paper on the ground wherever they go.
Some roadside places are disgusting, so I think the responsible travellers are, as usual, paying the price for the shockers.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641732

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 07:46

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 07:46
And going by the amount of“ white flags” left about it is the females that are not doing the right thing

Rather than this draconian move to being self sufficient there should be an awareness campaign going of how unacceptable it is to leave white flags
FollowupID: 921044

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 07:55

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 07:55
Unfortunately what some camp site managers/local councils fail to understand is that having a full self-contained vehicle is no guarantee that it's owners are not grubs. Some of the worst behaviour I have seen has been from ignorant, entitled motorhome & caravan owners. Dumping a large & full stinking grey water tank on their site just prior to leaving, grey water hoses hanging over the banks into the rivers, piling up their rubbish around overflowing rubbish bins after first trying to scare away the crows etc etc.

FollowupID: 921045

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2022 at 08:45

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2022 at 08:45
Cuppa, saw that the other day in Ceduna, bloke in the flashest rig I have seen, opens grey water drain just before he drove off, amazing disregard for others.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921064

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 08:21

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 08:21
I recently stayed at Noosa North Shore camping Ground.
They do not have piped water to sites and simply say no waste water should be directed to the ground.
I have a 20 litre jerry with a short hose from my drain, and that is fine there anyway.
They do have a dump point for portapotties and grey water.
AnswerID: 641734

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 09:35

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022 at 09:35
There are many types of portable grey water tanks on E bay at reasonable prices and these can be used and are easy to empty. Plus when sealed with the supplied fittings can be carried without giving off odours .
Unfortunatly more and more places are demanding one be self contained. This is because a MINORITY of travelers do the wrong thing.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641735

Sponsored Links