12v upright fridge

Submitted: Friday, Sep 30, 2022 at 17:24
ThreadID: 144900 Views:4835 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
One of my 12v chest fridges in my canopy is on it's way out. I am considering getting a upright fridge to replace it. I am interested to hear comments from those that have them on any issues with them. One comment that seems to come up is that if you are doing a trip up north the freezer section needs defrosting fairly regularly.

Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Sep 30, 2022 at 17:38

Friday, Sep 30, 2022 at 17:38
Just be aware that they do use noticeably more power than the chest type.
AnswerID: 641753

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 09:11

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 09:11
I have a 70l Waeco upright fridge installed in my camper.
The only two issues I have experienced are:-
The freezer is really small. Not much good for anything other than ice cubes for our G&T's. But that suits us fine.
If too much food is packed immediately underneath the freezer, it affects the overall cooling ability as the freezer coil is what keeps the fridge cold.
Knowing about the above issues, we love our upright fridge. This one is used primarily for general foodstuffs such as milk, eggs. salads, cold cuts of meat, cheese and maybe a bottle or two. We supplement this fridge with a 40l Engel in the ute's canopy, where we store most of the meat we take with us on a camping trip. I also kryovac most of the meat to prolong it's life.

As far as battery requirements for the Waeco upright is concerned, It doesn't use any more power than the Engel. I have one 100Ah lithium battery in the camper to run the fridge and provide power for lights and phone charging etc., and one 120Ah AGM battery in the ute, for the Engel.
Both batteries are maintained when static camping by two 200w portable type solar panels and dc-dc chargers and I rarely experience problems with solar charging, except for rare days of absolute "crap" weather conditions. The dc chargers also enable battery charging via vehicle alternator while on the move.

Both ba
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641757

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 10:33

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 10:33
I was using 2 chest fridges, Kevin, but the Ironman 35L was a bit power hungry, and I didn’t want add the weight of a drop slide, so went for an Engel 80L upright.
The upright is only 5kg heavier than the 40L Engel I use as well on remote trips.

Best thing since the mini skirt! And met the approval of the Cook when she did a trip with me. The “non-believers” will always say “all the cold air falls out”, but if you have it fully packed for a trip, there’s very little air to fall out! Never had a problem with the freezer icing up, but do have a 12v fan installed that’s suppose to prevent the icing problem.

Don’t know whether they use more power than a chest fridge, but on a Simpson trip last year, the upright & a 40L Engel set as a freezer, were only using 14-16% of my 2 x 100Ah lithium batteries.

The only problem I initially had with the upright were the mounting feet. The 4 screws that hold the 2 base plates became loose, and wore out the thread on both the screws & mounting holes on base of the fridge. New screws, nutserts & 4 drops of Loctite 243, and the fridge has stood up to numerous trips over the Simpson, the CSR & a 10K km trip through SA, WA & NT, without fail.

If I had any regrets, it would be not purchasing the 90L model. It is the same height as the 80, so would fit comfortably in the canopy. Many are buying the Bushman uprights, and speak well of them, but believe the mounting system is a bit different. There is a couple of Evacool units too, that may do the job?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641759

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 11:54

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 11:54
Be interested to hear more about the fan you installed Bob

Cheers Alby
FollowupID: 921101

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 13:26

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 13:26
I picked up a fan for the Engel upright here.

Good range of fans for both compressor & 3-way too, Alby. We have a non functioning gas heater in our 2nd hand van. Might replace it with one of his diesel heaters too?

Good, prompt service as well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921102

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 09:02

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 09:02
So easy to make your own fan set up using computer fans and a cheap temp regulator. You dont even need the regulator as the fans use bugger all power. I,ve made sevaral up and cost has been under $30.
FollowupID: 921120

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 09:19

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 09:19
Bigfish so do you just run a permanent power supply to a computer fan inside the fridge and let it run constantly?
FollowupID: 921121

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 11:11

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2022 at 11:11
Yes. They draw less than half an amp so its only about 10-12 a/h a day. On my camper fridge (pull out 75 litre fridge on a slide) I have 3 fans mounted on the slide facing the compressor inlet slots to cool the compressor on hot days. It runs on a temp control module (very cheap on e-bay). Cuts in at 32 degrees and cuts out at 31 degrees. Works well in FNQ. pOWER USAGE AGAIN IS MINIMAL AS DURING THE DAY i NORMALLY HAVE 400WATTS OF SOLAR CONNECTED.
FollowupID: 921122

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 12:17

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 12:17
Small fridge/freezers whether upright or chest are not ideal as there is no separate control of the 2 sections.
We have a 130L commercially built all-fridge upright plus a seperate 25L DIY deep freeze. Both work well.
Power consumption is largely about the quality of the insulation.
Both of our units have remote compressors which made it easy to add lots of extra insulation around the cabinet. That reduces energy consumption dramatically.

The defrosting issue is about the quality of the door seals, what you put into the fridge or freezer and how often you open the door. Most of the frost comes from the moisture in the air and there is more moisture in the air up north.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641760

Reply By: nickb - Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 23:14

Saturday, Oct 01, 2022 at 23:14
I have 2 Engel 57L upright fridges (ute canopy and van), very happy with them, no issues. Haven't spent too much time up far north though.
AnswerID: 641762

Reply By: @Yackandandah - Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 16:22

Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 16:22
A followup question.
I will be mounting the fridge in my 79 series canopy. We have previously done the Canning, Simpson, Munja & other rough 4wd tracks. All the upright fridges I have looked at basically mount the unit by screwing into the sheet metal sides of the fridge. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has one mounted & taken it over rough 4wd tracks & how it has handled it.

Kevin
AnswerID: 641768

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 17:02

Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 17:02
Why not do the same as what you do with a chest fridge and tie it down with say 2 tie down straps. I have 2 Brass Monkey fridges on slides and both are fixed both front and back with with tie downs to the slide out trays which are then bolted onto the top of the drawers.

I have often thought about replacing the three way fridge in the van which is only held in place with 2 screws on either side of the door opening. Using 2 tie down straps up and over would secure the fridge to the floor very securely.

By the way, Jaycar and RTM sell 2 sizes of Brass Monkey fridges that could suit you. The fridges use an LG compressor and come with a 3 year warranty.
FollowupID: 921116

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 21:20

Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 21:20
"...I have often thought about replacing the three way fridge in the van which is only held in place with 2 screws on either side of the door opening..."

What is the make and model numbers of that fridge? Any of the Electrolux/Dometic fridges I have had dealings with have one or two lugs at the bottom of the back that should be bolted to the floor>
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641772

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 22:45

Monday, Oct 03, 2022 at 22:45
Our fridge is a Dometic RM7601 and as stated has 2 screws each side in the door recess. I had it out and there were no other fixing brackets or whatever.
FollowupID: 921118

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Oct 13, 2022 at 19:49

Thursday, Oct 13, 2022 at 19:49
I bought an Engel 80 upright as a replacement in my van, it lasted 2 years and the gas got out i believe. It runs but the comp gets hot and thats about all. I put the 3 way back in after repairing it.
AnswerID: 641849

Sponsored Links