OziExplorerCE and Plot Place

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:44
ThreadID: 14498 Views:1514 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

My question comes in 2 parts.

Firstly for those people who use OziExplorerCE on Pocket PC, what settings did you use for the 'File Log Dist' under file/configuration/tracks? I am trying to get the most from this great software and would like an accurate track to be recorded. I store the tracks to a 64Mb MMC so don't have to worry about the size of the track file. ATM I have mine set to log a point every 200m which in theory allows for a track up to 4000km to be logged.

Secondly how do you get more points to download more plots from Plot Swap. Do you buy them or do you get credit when you upload your own? I would like to download more but do not have enough points however I have uploaded 10 of my own on Cape York.

Best regards
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:25
Hello David - The number of track points you need to record is a very personal thing - what is your ultimate aim - how are you recording them (in a car, walking)i.e. what are you going to do with the information collected?

For example if you will just be viewing your track over a large area (eg a map of Australia) then wide spaced points (5-10km) will be more than adequate. If you want to record your walk through a 20ha patch of bush then make it 10m intervals.

My suggestion is take as many points as you can, based on your planned trip and memory available. You could at various stages of your trip change the setting - there is no point in taking 10m readings when doing 100km/hr but you may wish to crank it down to say 50m for a slower 4WD track.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67043

Follow Up By: Member - David C (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:31

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:31
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the follow up. Ultimately I will only be using OziExplorerCE in the vehicle but as our trips vary from a couple of hundred kays up to major trips of several thousand kays I will take your advice on varying this figure according to the trip we are doing at the time.

I use the Auslig Raster 250k (version 2) maps with my XDA II which suit my needs perfectly. When I just had my GPS for track recording it would save a point every 1.5 - 3.5 kms depending on length of track but you were very limited with memory (Garmin GPS76). With the XDA II however it allows for a more accurate track with nearly unlimited memory.

Thanks again
Regards
David
FollowupID: 327821

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:39

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:39
David,

The credits system is meant ot be a small payment to cover the costs of the upload/download for the date I was going to establish something like $10 for 500 credits however I have not completed the system yet. I will allocate you so points for your uploads and we will go from there. PLease MM me with your member number and we will push some credits your way.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67052

Follow Up By: Member - David C (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:13

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:13
Thanks for the reply David. I am more than happy to pay the $10 as I enjoy the site immensely. You have done a wonderful job and the plot place site is fantastic. We are planning our trip to the Kimberlies next year so I have downloaded your Gibb River Road track. I have been replaying the track to see the speed you were doing in different sections of the road. This has been invaluable in calculating our itinerary.

I will message you to find out how I can contribute.

Best regards
David
FollowupID: 327820

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 17:25

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 17:25
David as per Member Message,

I have added Point Place credit purchases to the Member My Home page current rate is 200 credits for $5 and 500 credits for $10. You will find the links in the section that shows your point balance.

Glad you like the Point Place Plot Swap system. I have been promissing to finish the geo-reference map output for some time now. I will not promise however I will try to get it sorted. I also want to add the ability to download the .wpt files and .rte files on the treks soon. I have it on the list of things to do.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 327886

Follow Up By: Member - David C (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:14

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:14
Great!, consider me your first customer. Just purchased the 500 points so am looking forward to spending plenty of time in Point Place.

I am mainly after the tracks but if you had the waypoints as well then they would also be snapped up. Look forward to seeing it grow.

Best regards
David
FollowupID: 327915

Sponsored Links