troopy wipers come on without touching lever.

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 16:04
ThreadID: 145037 Views:3021 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
My 1994 Troopy, driving along hands on steering wheel, wipers just came on a couple times, was then intermittent. Went to Cue, from Wubin on, wipers wouldn't stop hardly at all. Lifted them off windscreen as rain was around. Coming home it was fine, so removed fuse. Have seen mechanic who was going to change wiper motor with a spare he had. Since then had cylinder head replaced separate problem. Mechanic has now said could be electrical, for the wiper problem. I have had troopy since 1999, so know everything I have had done over the years. Anyone had this problem with wipers. I have fuse out again now.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:07

Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:07
Electric wiper motor units of that age and earlier had a simple electrical contact that was operated by the gear wheel that controlled the wiper arms. There was a cam on that gear wheel that opened the contact when the wheel reached the park position in its rotation. That contact was wired directly to the battery, it would supply 12 C to the wiper motor if the wipers were not in their parked position. That is how the wipers self parked after you switched them off. Your wipers may or may not employ this method of self parking.

If your wipers work this way, check that the spring lever that has the contact on its end has not malfunctioned somehow. If there does not appear to be a sufficient gap between the contacts, do some adjustment to that lever.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642059

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:15

Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:15
Bob, it could be a faulty switch in the steering wheel hub but is more likely a wire shorting to the bodywork. The wipers operate by having 12v+ supplied to the wiper motor from the ignition source via the fuse then the circuit is completed through the steering hub switch to earth. If one of the wires from the motor to the switch rubs through its insulation and contacts earth then that will bypass the switch and operate the motor.
Examine your wiring loom from the wiper motor to the switch looking for wear. A very likely place is where the loom enters the steering column. If you find a wear point, wrap it well with insulation tape and try to reposition it away from the earth metal.

If it does happen to be the steering hub switch then they are somewhat difficult to access and tricky to repair. You may need help from an auto electrician.

EDIT: I agree with Peter's suggestion above. Can also be tricky fiddling within the motor. But if your mechanic has a spare it could be tried. Then, if the fault is still present it suggests the wiring short That I mentioned.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642060

Follow Up By: Bob a3 - Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:57

Saturday, Nov 12, 2022 at 17:57
Thanks to you both Peter and Allan, I drove yesterday alright for a while 15 minutes then started up and kept going, was wondering whether it could be heat related in the wiring? I too also thought about wiring rubbing and breaking through insolation. Being so old. Not sure exactly what mechanic has done, will double check on monday. He did say in the very first place he had checked the switch and was ok. My cylinder head was cracked, so he did that and only when I went to pick up the car said that it was still wiping without touching. Then he mentioned it being electrical, and the auto electrician he uses is away at the moment. Will print off your replies to show him. Cheers Bob
FollowupID: 921491

Reply By: Peter J4 - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 07:10

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 07:10
We've had several troopies over the years and on extremely corrugated roads it has happened on all of them, the actual wiper switch/arm vibrated so much it actually dropped down and activated the wipers.
Sometimes it was just enough to make them work and park and others they just kept going until you flicked the arm back up.
Doesn't sound like that is the case with your troopy, if its not a wire shorting out I'd be inspecting the switching in the actual wiper motor as the contacts in there could be shorting.
AnswerID: 642062

Reply By: gke - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 08:59

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 08:59
My 60 series used to give a random one wipe for years and I finally accepted it as its eccentricity. Gave passengers something to talk about.
Graham.
AnswerID: 642063

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:01

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:01
Sound a bit like my old landrover mate!, If i hit a decent bump EVERYTHING comes on.....LOL.

Axle.
FollowupID: 921493

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:38

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:38
Or falls off..... LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921494

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:56

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 10:56
Now, Now !! Allan.

Your Right, i'm just lucky its a ute plenty of space for all the bits., Ha Ha'

Axle .
FollowupID: 921495

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 11:24

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 11:24
No need to worry Axle. If electrical things in a Landrover "come on" unexpectedly, The Prince of Darkness will ensure that they go off again....... "quite reliably" as Len Beadell would say.
But in a Landcruiser it's a bit of a worry.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921496

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 13:48

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 13:48
Haven't looked at the circuit but if it has intermittent function then it could be either the electronics that make it work or the relay if it has one. Could try removing the wiper relay if there is one and see if that stops the issue. If it does then a replacement could be a chepa fix if its not the electronics if they are seperate.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642064

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 15:33

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 15:33
Electronics in a '94 Troupie? Aren't all their electrical devices just electro mechanical devices?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921499

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 16:33

Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 at 16:33
Could be Peter, I just looked at the 1999, if it has intermittent wipers and from a quick search of ones for sale it appers they can then they will most likely have an electronic timing circuit either in the "can" or else where.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921502

Sponsored Links