No air coming through dash vents 200 series Landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 20, 2022 at 11:53
ThreadID: 145048 Views:7482 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All

My 2007 GXL all of a sudden blows bugger all air out of the dashboard vents. Windscreen mode seems to work fine but only with AC on, face or feet mode only about ten percent of what it used to with or without AC on. Pulled the cabin filter out and it's clean as, blower/fan works on all speeds and goes 100 mph on full.
Also tried without cabin filter in - still bugger all air through vents ( which are all open and working )

The plastic diverter or whatever it's called above the filter goes up and down when it should with recirculate or outside air mode pressed.
Seems like there is a flap/diverter not working sending air where it should.

Anyone experienced this before and or what should I be looking for to rectify this ?

Cheers
Gazz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 05:09

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 05:09
Toyotas have a habit of the firewall insulation falling to pieces and chunks of it dropping down and jamming the actuators.
AnswerID: 642133

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 08:53

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 08:53
That's interesting qldcamper

I removed the glove box and a few other pieces to see if I could see anything obvious but not much space in there for my big hands and boofhead - might need to pull it apart a bit more when time permits.

Hope it's something that simple !

Thanks for the reply

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921602

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:38

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:38
Have you tried manually turning the fan to full speed on the screen?
AnswerID: 642136

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:52

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:52
Hey Boobook

I don't quite understand what you mean by that sorry

Manually as in using knobs or mode buttons on the centre dash console ?

The fan works as it should on all speeds and does go to face, feet and screen mode when selected just bugger all air comes out

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921604

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:01

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:01
I think my comments only relate to the VX and Sahara. The Fan is controlled by the screen.

I m not sure about the GXL, but it sounds like something is blocked

Have you tried removing the vents. they pop out with a little force.
FollowupID: 921609

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:18

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:18
G'day Boobook

I'm pretty sure something is blocked but it must be blocked before the vents because all four aren't getting air !

But you have just given me the idea of removing the vents and with a small marble size rag fixed to some wire I might try working backwards from the vents to see if I can hopefully clear something that may have lodged in there somehow - it's worth try !

Thanks for the reply

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921610

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:39

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:39
I don't think that will reveal anything, let alone clear a blockage.

Without knowing your vehicle's configuration in the slightest (but based on experience with Ford/Holden/Subaru) it's quite possible an airflow damper/flap within the "heater box" isn't playing nice. Very often the result of a small tab breaking off the control lever for the damper/flap. Depending on the vehicle that may require HB disassembly ranging from bloody-hard to extreme (full dash-out).

On some Fords it's fairly easy. Some Holdens it is often an air line that has become detached. But those are the easy ones. Good luck.
FollowupID: 921611

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 13:50

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 13:50
I suspect that this won't be relevant but my old Patrol had very similar symptoms. These vehicles weren't fitted with cabin air filters and the heat exchangers became clogged with fluff and all sorts of debris.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642137

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 14:35

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 14:35
Hey Warren

The cruiser has a cabin filter and was clean and even after I ran the fan without the filter still bugger all air !

I'm suspecting a blockage of some sort - hopefully something simple like qldcamper suggested

Thanks for the reply

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 921606

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 07:24

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 07:24
Hi Gazz,

I am pretty sure this issue has been reported on the Lcool forum before. Unfortunately the Lcool forum is being rebuilt at the moment, so is unavailable. I believe the issue has something to do with the internal flap that opens and closes to direct airflow to the dash vents. You could try talking to a Toyota Service centre, not sure how helpful they will be.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642152

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 19:20

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 19:20
G'day All

FIXED !!!!

I rang a friends young son last night who's a genius with anything to do with cars. He said a diverting flap might be stuck or broken or possibly the heating / cooling control system needs to be reset but not knowing anything about Land Cruisers he would have to look into it.

So I did my own research on resetting heating/cooling systems but nothing for Land Cruisers came up but my friends lad said last night most cars all have a reset option on nearly everything with a module. Most of the articles on reset said remove the HVAC fuse for 30 seconds and reinstall. There was also a video without sound which showed a chap turning ignition on without starting and simultaneously holding the inside air button on a Toyota Corolla to reset his heating/cooling module.

So today I decided to just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

Reconnected the battery - started the car and no air through vents. Then I decided to try the bloke in the video's option. Did that on every button to no avail until the last button which was 'rear air' and guess what ? AIR AIR AIR and lots of it through the vents yeeh haa !!

So I'm not sure if that is the reset button or just some parts were stuck due to lack of use eg the rear air - but I don't really care as I'm as happy as a dog with two d--ks and two tongues lol

Thanks to everyone who replied - I sincerely appreciate you doing so and offering your help and suggestions !!!

Happy and Safe travels ( especially with fresh air )

Cheers
Gazz

AnswerID: 642158

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 19:54

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 19:54
Gazz, thanks for posting the fix, lots of times interesting questions/problems are posted and one never finds out if the problem was fixed and how or they gave up and sold the vehicle, LOL. Cheers
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921624

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 21:44

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 21:44
Nice sleuthing Gazz (and car genius friend). I can sense the tension relief across the ether.

Would never have thought an air system could be reset although Toyota has a raft of tricks for optional settings on my Prado so it makes sense they'd have factory resets for all major systems.
FollowupID: 921625

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 24, 2022 at 11:12

Sponsored Links