Jocky Wheel on Drivers side

Submitted: Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:09
ThreadID: 145050 Views:3760 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I want to put my Jockey wheel on the drivers side of the camper. For some reason, nearly every jockey wheel seems to be on the passengers side, but with the wheel carrier etc it is harder to get to.

Does anyone know any reason why I could not swap it over? I guess the issue is to be away from traffic more on the passengers side but that is now a concern for me.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 13:51

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 13:51
I have one on either side at home. Elec and ark. The elec stays at home usually. I can't see any reason that you couldn't swap sides.
AnswerID: 642138

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:51

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 19:51
So do I; it really makes life much easier having two.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 921612

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 14:35

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 14:35
Strange! We bought a new Australian made horse float earlier this year and the jockey wheel is on the drivers side and most other float's I've hired or borrowed are setup the same but that's in WA... maybe its different over east? ;) However on thinking about it our NSW made Ultimate camper trailers has it on the drivers side too. BUT our spare wheel is on the drivers side and to be honest it would be better for us to switch the jockey wheel to the other side as yes it gets in the way and is most annoying.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642139

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 17:14

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 17:14
Our Ultimate and both AOR campers had/have the jockey wheel(JW) on the drivers side. We use the detachable BOS JW and post setup and have a second clamp on the offside drawer bar so we can swap the JW over and/or use the offside clamp to hold other things

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642141

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 17:31

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 17:31
Same with my AOR Eclipse, the jockey wheel is on the driver side, and have a clamp on the other side.
I mostly use a removable jockey stand in the passenger side clamp for stability, instead winding down the legs, when we are set up. Also handy if you are managing a difficult hitch height when on uneven ground.
At home when working my way into a tight parking spot, I use a jockey-mate in the passenger side bracket to manually move the camper.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921608

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2022 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2022 at 01:00
My AOR Quantum had its jockey wheel on the drivers side and this is the standard position for all AOR vans.

I don't think there is any particular reason why the drivers side, just evolved to become the standard for AOR vans.

Cheers
FollowupID: 921615

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 22:47

Monday, Nov 21, 2022 at 22:47
Our Ultimate Camper has the Jockey wheel on the driver side
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642142

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2022 at 09:01

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2022 at 09:01
Caravans have traditionally had their jockey wheel on the LHS owing to the way we park our vans. As the van door is mostly on the LHS, we park our vans on the side of the site where the non access side is at the edge of the site. After parking our vans putting our vans on site we then level them. For the first 30 years I have been involved in travelling with vans, Electrolux/Dometic supplied a bullseye level that we used as a reference level our van. During that phase we were walking between the door and the jockey wheel. The jockey wheel was thus located for the quickest travel. It is only in the last 25 years or so that most of the caravan manufacturers have been locating the jockey wheel in the middle of A-frame.

Or to put it simply, the jockey wheel on the LHS is historical. It is only in the last 20 or so years that campers have been migrating out of caravan parks, things have changed over that time and the jockey wheel on the LHS may not suit you. Feel free to locate it that suits you best - I still prefer it in the middle.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642145

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 22:21

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 at 22:21
Tony : agree.. why jockey wheels are always on the left side.. i always thought it was a safety reason . Every jockey wheel on our trailers are on left side , caravans camper . Horse float, box trailers etc .but i jave convert most to right handside ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 642160

Reply By: Member - AndrewM (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2022 at 15:23

Thursday, Nov 24, 2022 at 15:23
Hi Tony,
I have a Tvan towed by a Patrol and have replaced the LHS jockey wheel with an Ark swivel jockey wheel on the RHS. This has proved very successful. I keep the fridge in the back of the Patrol and the (first) opening door is on the LHS and the Tvan kitchen is on the LHS. So, having the jockey wheel out of the access side is great.
Despite all the "talk" on forums about the jockey wheel is on the LHS to compensate for the kitchen weight, I would need a micrometer to measure the difference!
Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 642164

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Thursday, Nov 24, 2022 at 21:28

Thursday, Nov 24, 2022 at 21:28
Hi Tony
When I built my van I put the jockey wheel on the left side as it sort of just made sense for me at the time. I have a Prado so the back door opens from the left. Also the electrical plugs are on the left side of the tow hitch which works well for me being right handed. It just sort of followed logically to place it on the left side as well and I really did not think much more about it beyond that.
That is why mine is on the left side.
I am not aware of any legal requirements or anything like that so I would say if it feels good do it.
Cheers
Roy
AnswerID: 642166

Sponsored Links