Problem Creating tracks

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 01, 2022 at 19:12
ThreadID: 145093 Views:2709 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
During my first 12 months membership I successfully and very easily created 6 trek logs no problem. My membership expired last month and I renewed it and have no end of dramas with this app since.
For starters, my snail trail was working on a 4 day trek I just did last weekend and once home cannot for the life of me "create track"..can't even get the option despite following the 2 methods in the manual and how I did it all last 12 months to input start and end dates etc....
Anyone had the same issue or please admin could you help, thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Thursday, Dec 01, 2022 at 19:38

Thursday, Dec 01, 2022 at 19:38
G’Day Jason

You have confused me a little.

My snail trail was working on a 4 day trek. The snail trail doesn’t do anything other than show where you have been.

If you wish to create a track log of where you have been, try going to export positions in the left hand menu, bout half way down, enter start / end dates, crop as required. This way must be done on the device you used will travelling.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642218

Reply By: Member - Jason J4 - Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 09:01

Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 09:01
Hi, thanks for the reply.

And yes you have read it right. I have been saving my snail trails (where I have been) for the first 12 months of being a member, however after renewing my membership after expiry I have not been able to do it (last weekend).
Now you have bought it to my attention clicking on "export positions" I see how it's done. So I am also thinking there has been an updated version of the app or something???
Because this isn't inline with what I have done last 12 months or my instructions that I have been using in that time.
AnswerID: 642219

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 11:30

Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 11:30
There has never been an option to "save snail trail" - the snail trail simply is a copy of a portion of the master data that is only ever available to view as a Map Layer. For performance reasons it is limited to only display the most recent portion of a trip (its a complex algorithm that works it out - something like the last 2000 positions, I'd have to check the specifics) but Snail Trail is there for the purpose of backtracking your immediate path travelled. The master position data is stored in the app on the device. This is what you do when you "export positions". This data cannot be deleted by any means other than if you uninstall the app. ou can continually export positions and experiment with extracted data (select different days, times etc but it keeps the master intact in the database within the app on that device).

If you have a Member account however - that's totally different. A Member can initiate the Tracker service - Tracker is a separate service that we run that you can enable if desired - when on, it automatically syncs incoming position data from your GPS via the app to the ExplorOz server where it builds a Server Tracking Map. If you open the Server map you'll see a SAVE option - perhaps you may have used this in the past. When you save from Server Tracking you create Track Logs.

So if you are a Member you have the ability to enable Server Tracking and save Track Logs from the synced server data AND if desired you can still export from the master data stored in the device itself.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921704

Reply By: Member - Jason J4 - Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 20:54

Friday, Dec 02, 2022 at 20:54
Thanks David I have successfully found and saved my trek as travelled last weekend using your instructions "export positions" and entering dates and save and am very happy about that.

In the past 12 months I have been doing as per page 16/17 of "quick start guide" which appear to be non-existent in the app now??
This is why I am confused/curious.
Do I need to print an updated set of instructions? Or am I missing something here please.
Thanks
AnswerID: 642222

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Dec 03, 2022 at 14:23

Saturday, Dec 03, 2022 at 14:23
JJ4

Pages 16 & 17 really don’t have anything to do with what you’re requesting.

Not to sure what you were doing previously, but Export position or server tracking is the only way to save a track that you have traveled.

I only ever enable server tracking, if family or friends wish to follow our travels via the tracker App.

Nope you don’t need to print up instructions, they are available offline, or just download them, you will need a PDF viewer though.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921708

Sponsored Links