4WDing tomorrow.

Submitted: Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 15:28
ThreadID: 14515 Views:2594 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Phew, just finished washing and polishing the Jackaroo for our ONE DAY(bugger) trip to Bulburin Forest reserve.
We are travelling in my Jackaroo and my brothers 1997 Patrol.I figure 2 cars is safer than 1
Just to get your interest up and maybe get you drooling at the mouth I thought I would show you what everybody is missing ;-)

Rugged, high country in the Many Peaks Range is protected in Bulburin Forest Reserve. Mt Boreen Boreen is the highest point.

About half of the forest is covered in beautiful subtropical rainforest, dense stands of dry rainforest with emerging hoop pines, and gallery rainforest. Together, they form the largest rainforest remnant in central Queensland.

The rest of the forest contains open eucalypt forest and woodland and tall open forest with a rainforest understorey. Dry open forests with New England blackbutt, spotted gum and white mahogany grow on the more exposed western ridges and foothills. Mature hoop pine plantations in the State forest are being harvested for timber.

A variety of wildlife lives in the forest including wompoo pigeons, red-necked and red-legged pademelons and red-eyed tree frogs. Rare and threatened species like the long-nosed potoroo have also been reported.

The forest protects the catchments for the Boyne and Kolan Rivers and Baffle and Granite Creeks.
Exploring Bulburin
Experience one of the best subtropical rainforest remnants in Queensland in this undeveloped forest.

Go birdwatching. See red-crowned pigeons, noisy pittas, regent bowerbirds, satin bowerbirds and paradise riflebirds in the rainforest.

Bush camp along the ridge among planted bunya pines on the site of the former Forestry barracks. No facilities are provided apart from a picnic platform, so campers must be totally self-sufficient. Take drinking water and a fuel stove. Obtain your camping permit beforehand.

Go for a scenic drive through the forest. A four-wheel-drive loop road passes through the rainforest. You must obtain a permit to traverse before driving through the forest.
Walking
No tracks are provided. Wear insect repellent when walking in the rainforest.
Getting there
Bulburin is 50km north-east of Monto. Conventional access is possible from Builyan on the Monto-Gladstone Road. Turn at the Dalga Road and continue along the Bulburin Forest Road to the campground, 16km from Builyan. A through route leads 33km to the Bruce Highway. Turn off the highway at Granite Creek Forest Road near the Granite Creek rest area, 64km north of Gin Gin or 38km south of Miriam Vale. This access road is four-wheel-drive only.

I'm Excited......

PS, Do you think Polishing a car before a big drive is a good idea? I figure when I get back I won't have such a hard time washing the car as the polish should help to prevent dirt( sorry dust) sticking to the car.
Got my permit but you only get one for a month.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 15:33

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 15:33
Have fun mate and keep safe!

But I do have two green eyes and two words for you: You suck!

n.b: This post has been written whilst under extreme jealous conditions. The thoughts stated may not be those of a sane person...
AnswerID: 67124

Follow Up By: Sparkiepete - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:11

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:11
Cheers mate I will be thinking of you(NOT).

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327895

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 15:35

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 15:35
Actually, polishing a car before a trip is not as silly as it might seem.

The slicker surface does let go of dirt more easily and it repels some of the lighter scratching that might occur. Nothing is going to prevent a deep scratch though.

We're heading to the tracks north of Lithgow either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on some friends of ours. Preferably tomorrow so we can go the Aroma coffee festival on Sunday in Sydney.
AnswerID: 67125

Follow Up By: Sparkiepete - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19
Thanks mate, I didn't even think of the scratch factor as there already are a few scratches Merlin the Magician could not make dissapear.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327898

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 18:19

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 18:19
Sigh ... my plans for the weekend have been scuttled. Seems the girls don't want to get wet.

:-(
FollowupID: 327975

Reply By: terracan tim - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:34

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:34
Think you will have better senery up there then me and jim will have in the bunyip state forest and the temp will be alot higher as well but I'm sure we both will have a great weekend and what would really make my day is to pull a stuck patrol or LC out of the mud how embrassing to have to admitt to being pulled out by a terracan oh well we can all dream LOL

terracan Tim
AnswerID: 67170

Follow Up By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:18

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:18
terracan Tim,

How I wish for some glorious MUD. Its as dry as dry up this way.The water trucks are making a killing delivering water to houses out here.

which 4WD can pull out a Nissan or Toyota out of the mud?..........I bet a Terracan can ;-)

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327937

Sponsored Links