Help needed for Exploreoz Traveller

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 09:53
ThreadID: 145251 Views:1762 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Techo dunce Gazz here

Could someone please explain to me in simple terms how to get "online" then find the "log on" button for Traveller - I'm going away tomorrow and want to set some way points and a destination. I managed to do that about a year ago with success but after an hour in the car today I'm at a complete loss.

I know where I'm going and how to get there but I would just like to use this app that I purchased a while ago and hopefully master it one day - but somehow I reckon I'd have more chance of putting out the sun with a water pistol !!

Thanks in advance
Gazz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 10:43
What a numbskull - just went to change a gas bottle and it came back to me - I need to get online through the cars head unit first not traveller - will give it another go shortly !

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 642643

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 14:44
Managed to get online using my houses wi-fi !

Set in 3 campsites where I intend to go along a track in order then got a turn by turn not available message - have I stuffed up again or is turn by turn just not available where I plan to go ?

Gazz
FollowupID: 922233

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 07:59
Hi Gazz,

I've been laid up for a while so not able to familiarise myself with the new version, so I'm not across your "turn by turn not available" message.

However, try changing the mode of navigation to cycling and see if that makes a difference. The times and ETAs for your journey will be wrong, but the routing should work. Failing that, try the walking mode.

If it won't even attempt a route calculation there may have been a server issue when you tried. I just tried it now and it's working fine so may be worth another attempt.

Failing that and if you don't get an answer here, lodge a ticket.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922247

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 09:03

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 09:03
Howdy Frank

Hope you are well !

I did change navigation mode to walking then cycling to no avail - not being techo I just thought because it's just a small track in Victoria's Big desert it might not work.

Heading away in an hour

Thanks and take care
Gazz

FollowupID: 922248

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 08:29

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 08:29
I dunno Gaz, this forum is (has become) the place to ask though. I would presume turn by turn would only become active as you were driving the route, much like google directions to a destination.
AnswerID: 642658

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 09:13
Howdy Dozer

After I entered the 3rd location that's when a little window popped up saying turn by turn navigation is unavailable or something to that affect.
Also I'm not sure about saving the route as I didn't see or find a save route button so I just pressed begin navigation so maybe it will work when I turn it on and head off ?

Appreciate the reply

Cheers
Gazz
Ps - not fussed if the navigation app works or not really as long as the 60 litre in the car does because drinking warm sarsaparilla doesn't appeal to me :)
FollowupID: 922249

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 11:33

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 11:33
Gazz,

Make sure the mode on the route to the third location is cycle or walk. Sometimes you have to check each segment.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922250

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 21:12

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 21:12
According to the latest update the cycle workaround isn't required anymore for minor tracks
FollowupID: 922257

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 13:05
G'day Gazz,
I spend a lot of time in Little Desert South of there & navigation function works to some places & not others but by putting in some of your own waypoints that makes it work fine.
To be honest I stopped using turn by turn navigation because I always find interesting deviations on the way anyway because I never have a schedule.
I use traveller a lot without turn by turn & it's great for exploring out of the way places & you always know where you are when your offline.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 642660

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2023 at 17:54
Just to add a bit about using your own waypoints to create a route.
When off-road in places like Big Desert for example there are many solutions to get to a desired destination due to all the tracks on the highly detailed map.
Pretty difficult for a computer algorithm to decide between the myriad of tracks so by creating waypoints you are "helping" the turn by turn navigation learn the precise way you want to go.
Like I said I don't use the turn by turn function as I always "move the goalposts". :-)

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 922255

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 09:26

Sunday, Jan 22, 2023 at 09:26
SUCCESS !!

Just returned from my little trip and happy with the way Traveller worked and even more happy that I actually got it to work ! I didn't need any guidance through the Big Desert as I've travelled through there dozens of times over the years, I'm just trying to get my head around the app for future use.

Turned it on when I got to Murrayville and got a voice message re: my first destination. There was a straight black dotted line from my location to the first destination with the moving arrow showing where I was. Then as I was approaching the first location it told me I was arriving at the campsite I entered.

When I used Traveller last year on main roads it highlighted the route in yellow but I'm guessing because my desert route was only 4wd tracks it didn't or couldn't highlight it ?

You wouldn't think such a simple thing like this could make an old techo dunce so happy - I even had a few extra sarsaparillas that night :)

Thanks to everyone who replied with their help and advice !

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 642700

Sponsored Links