New Magellan GPS to rival Garmin's Etrex series

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:15
ThreadID: 14534 Views:2602 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I just like everyone to know that Magellan AU will be making available (very soon) a coupla competitors (Explorist) to the Garmin Etrex series. In USA the price is almost identical to the Etrex, however, we have to wait and see what Magellan AU do with the pricing. One thing I like about them is the buttons on top rather than on the side, plus it has text as well as icons for button descriptions. The screen size is similar except wider and shorter, I suspect to make the buttons fit nicely (also known as ergonomical apparently!) . I wonder if they will ever bring out a round screen? :)

For all you Holux buyers, even if you purchase a Holux from overseas we will honour the warranty here in AU.

The link to the new Explorist is below.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/explorist.asp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 11:15

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 11:15
Why Magellan have produced a GPS that has no facility for the upload and download of data (waypoints/tracks/routes or maps) is beyond me - unless I am missing something this seems to be the case with these new units. Why? It seems a sligt step backwards. They better be cheap (very very cheap). One good thing is that they are 14 channel.

Also Niko - excuse my ignornace but when you say "we will honour the warranty" - who are you referring to? i.e. who is "we".

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67305

Reply By: Niko - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 13:17

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 13:17
Garmin Geko101 is the same, no upload/download capability. I would envisage Magellan AU to price somewhere between the Geko101 and the Etrex. However, the Geko101 is RRP US$113 and the Explorist100 is US$99 I'd say the Explorist is going to be a better deal for a short while. But Garmin won't sit back and let someone take their market share so easily, I'd expect Garmin prices to drop very soon. To say what the margin is for dealers with respect to their buy price and the so called RRP, Garmin is generally more generous in that area. However, the cheapest price is often 10% of dealer buy price, however, Garmin will definitely lose more of the market share as Magellan produce more products to compete. The only issue is Magellan tend to bring out a competitor and Garmin does a left hook and bring out something better.

Holux issue, is we as in OctaPC.
AnswerID: 67310

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 15:37

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 15:37
Niko - thanks - figured out who when I read the next forum item - sorry for wasting your time.

Well if the 100's go for ~$100 US then thats a good price for someone who just want the basics. It will be interesting to see what Magellan Aus decide on as a decent price. Their "exchange rate" is normally something like 30 or 40 cents US (based on US/Aus price Meridians) - so we can expect $330 to $250 for a E100. They are on eBay now for sale at $134 Aus (plus postage from US), E200's (US Basemap) for $193. Bargain!
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 328037

Sponsored Links