Fuel requirements for Strzelecki Track

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:14
ThreadID: 145453 Views:3181 Replies:15 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Planning to drive to Innamincka. 150 series Prado, towing a 2.75t van. Anyone got any idea how much fuel I am going to need on board. Also some clues on tyre pressures would be good. (Complete novice at towing c/van off road ....)
TIA,
Trek'N Teach.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:45

Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:45
From where TNT? Presumably diesel Prado?
AnswerID: 643144

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 00:16

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 00:16
He said he wants to drive the Strzelecki Track toInnamincka. It would be reasonable to suspect he would start at the bottom end.

Petrol Spy indicates that the only fuel on that track is at its ends, He should be able to work out his fuel requirements by using his fuel consumption on outback roads.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922808

Reply By: Trek'n_Teach - Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:48

Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:48
Some good points there Bazooka. From Port Augusta, and yes, it's a diesel ...
AnswerID: 643145

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 06:04

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 06:04
Fuel up at Leigh Creek, road conditions vary but in general the road is well maintained
AnswerID: 643148

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 07:09

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 07:09
Hi

Disregard the rely re fuel at Leigh Creek, it’s dearer there.

Your last and cheapest fuel is from the Lyndhurst Pup, and not the BP as you drive into the town.

The first 70 odd kilometres are bitumen from Lyndhurst and then you will get 5 sections of around 5 kilometres of bitumen along the way.

Not knowing if you are a flat back door or standard Prado with 150 litres, work on a total distance of no fuel stops of around 500 kilometres.

Tyre pressures……hope you are running good LT tyres and if it was me, I would be running around 28psi in the Prado and 26 psi on your van, drive to the conditions and if the dirt is good, restrict your maximum speed of only 80 kph.

Safe travels.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643149

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:30

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:30
Yes, avoid the BP servo on the main road in town. And carry plenty of fuel ....... winds can play havoc with consumption ....... I speak from anxious experience !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922809

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:02

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:02
Its no fun if the fuel light isnt on for the last 60 or 70 km.
FollowupID: 922821

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 07:27

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 07:27
Hi Trek’N Teach,

The Strezlecki Track, much like The Oodnadatta Track is really just another gravel road, albeit a bit long and with some corrugations. It is no longer the arduous drive that it used to be.

Some good advice from Stephen with regard to tyre pressures, however be careful how low you drop the pressures. Bear in mind the weight your tyres are supporting, and the fact that the road surface will have sharp rocks and stones. If you “belly” the tyres out too far, you could have some sidewall damage. LT Tyres are better for this sort of thing, as their side walls are generally stronger.

As far as fuel consumption is concerned, you will be the best judge as to how far you get on a tank of fuel when towing. It is not like you will be driving over numerous sand dunes like in The Simpson Desert. As others have suggested, check a Fuel App. with regard to fuel availability and price.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643150

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 08:58

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 08:58
I presume your van is dual axle, what are your normal bitumen tyre pressures ?
Fully support what Stephen said re the Prado tyre pressures, but in absence of axle weight knowledge, I suggest you drop your van pressures by 25% of what you run on the highway.
I now drive a Prado and tow a single axle 2.2T gross weight single axle 14ft off road van, which has a van manufacturer and tyre company recommended pressures around 55psi for the LT tyres. No way I would drop to 26 unless on sand, but I would certainly lower them to 35-40psi for gravel with my set up. But that's my set up, ours may be quite different, hence the 25% lower recommendation.
Avoid extended driving above 80km/hr when you do hit bitumen whilst running the lower tyre pressures, it generates excessive heat which kills tyres
I have only driven the Strez once and that was a long time ago, someone like Stephen has driven it multiple times.
Mark
AnswerID: 643151

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:36

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:36
Fuel is often cheaper in Copley than Leigh Creek and you need to go there to check out the bakery anyhow. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643152

Follow Up By: backtracks - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 13:00

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 13:00
Award winning pies ! Good coffee too.
FollowupID: 922823

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 15:53

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 15:53
Farina bakery too ( real cream buns !!) , and quandong pies .......... ah the memories.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922825

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 20:20

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 20:20
Good campsite at Farina too.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 922826

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:44

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:44
The Strzelecki is no longer "off-road". I last drove it 6 months ago and it was like going to the supermarket. A good portion is bitumen and long sections were in preparation for sealing and hence smooth. I usually drop tyre pressure for unsealed roads but this time maintained full pressure. There were speed restrictions on the sections under preparation but presumably only to prevent road surface damage.
Of course, there have been rain events since that time so all bets are off and if the track is damaged then follow the tyre pressure and speed advice above.
For fuel, yes Stephen is right. Purchase from opposite the pub for lowest price and top-up the lemonade from within the pub. Not a bad spot to overnight either.

Not a bad write-up here and if you do go in to Montecollina Bore, try to remember your way out ….. it is a maze of tracks. The viewing point of the Moomba gas plant may be of interest but Moomba itself is not accessible to visitors. It was once when I worked there but Santos became intolerant of tourist behaviour within the plant confines!

Several good camping options available at Innamincka, the most convenient being the "Town Common" within strolling distance from the town centre although I preferred "Policeman's" a little further away.

As for your question re fuel, sorry but I'm not much help…… the Troopy had long-range tanks (270 litre) and I did not need to pay much attention to consumption. My travelling companions called it "The Supertanker"!

Have a great trip. Where are you heading after Innamincka?
Click here for the current status of most SA roads which may be useful to you. Strzelecki Track currently shows "open" with cautions.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 643153

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:48

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 09:48
Roads change, we did it that trip around the 8/2022 and road was heavily corrugated.

I have a prado 120 Diesel running at the max load limit, on that trip I was running 26PSI in the rears and about 23PSI in the front tyres.Tyres are Cooper ST Max.

Van which is a small cross unit I ran 26PSI. Van weight is 1720Kg.

We topped up at Leigh Creek, took around 83Ltrs to fill the tanks at Innamincka, afer around 800Km with exploring. Average was around 9.6Ltr a 100Km for that leg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643154

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:35

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:35
Hi Leigh, maybe as you say, "roads change", because we came down the Strez in the last week of September 2022 and I don't recall any corrugations of significance. Maybe my suspension is better than yours or my memory is worse. lol
I was in the Sprinter with pretty soft suspension, not in the Troopy whose suspension begs definition!
But then, I may be pretty tolerant of corrugations viewing them as one of life's necessary evils?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922810

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:54

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:54
"But then, I may be pretty tolerant of corrugations viewing them as one of life's necessary evils?"
Allan, the ones that get you thinking about your entry, ramp over and departure angles are always a bit of a worry though. Also when you have to go so slowly that you get passed by a butterfly, you do just get to thinking.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 922812

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 15:01

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 15:01
Warren, I drove a naturally aspirated Troopy…… it did everything slowly!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922813

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 17:10

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 17:10
Might of done "everything slowly" Allan but I bet it kept on doing it. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 922817

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 17:26
Alan,

We are used to "bad" corugations and from memory they were bad! Later on on that trip we did the Savannah way in QLD and they were bad there too and the NT compared to previous trips, even into Birdsville was bad but they where grading that. To US it appeared they hadn't done any real maintance to the roads for the past couple of years but then things can chane week to week let alone years to years.

Worst was the rain, it just would not stop, couldn't even get to Haddons corner as it was a lake on the other side of the sand dune.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922819

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 10:44

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 10:44
I don't tow but this might help wrt tyre pressures TNT.
https://www.4wdingaustralia.com/camping/caravan-tyre-pressure/
Also, have a look at the grey nomads website for discussion on towing. Our own Peter (Peter n Margaret) feature there.

As Alan said the Strzelecki is normally pretty easy going. Your 150l should get you easily to Innamincka from the fuel stops recommended above - even at an unlikely 5km/l.

Do you have a tyre pressure mgt system (TPMS)? If not it's probably a wise addition. There are many options, eg: https://promata.com.au/product/mata2e/

You've probably already seen this but jic: https://innaminckahotel.com.au/getting-to-innamincka/roads-weather/

Don't know your background or experience but it might be judicious to find some local dirt roads to get a feel before your trip.

Good luck, and enjoy.
AnswerID: 643155

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 12:31

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 12:31
475 Km
only you know what the Prado uses towing your setup,
The road , some bits now sealed ,
Fill upLyndhurst there is no more fuel until Innamincka, 475 km
NO fuel or services at Moomba gas field ,
a great drive , damage bits marked with a red flag
have a great time
dirt track and rain we know the answer to that
bob
AnswerID: 643158

Reply By: qldcamper - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:22

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:22
Dont forget when your out on gravel/dirt roads if you see a dust plume coming towards you find a spot to pull over and stop, wait for the truck to pass or you will almost certainly do a windscreen and possibly a rear screen, those road trains do not slow down.
Not an uncommon site to see a prado with beer cartons taped to the rear door.
Stone stompers dont protect you from stones 50 odd tyres will throw at you.
AnswerID: 643164

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:26

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:26
There are now 2 spots in Lyndhurst to fill up, across the road from the pub and at the old BP (Cards Only)

its' less than 500km so you should be right between stops, a bit of advice - fuel up as soon as you get to the Trading Post as there is normally a traffic jam first thing in the morning and have heard the operators getting the sh!ts on with people not waiting for the bowsers to be fully set up, you need to buy a Pass to camp in the nicer areas anyway.

Please ensure you have a stone stomper or other such device to stop shooting stones off the front of your camper into oncoming cars / 4wds and slow down when other vehicles are approaching - I have lost 2 windscreens on the Strez due to this and have had to take evasive action with towing vehicles come the other way full blast with rocks, dust and sh!t flying everywhere.
AnswerID: 643165

Reply By: axle - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:44

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:44
G /Day mate.

How's Your legal weight look loaded? I would be concerned with a prado with the weight mentioned.,

on a rough road , they are good but not like their big brother. just my thoughts only, have a good trip

Cheers Axle.

AnswerID: 643169

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:44

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:44
You'll do it from Leigh Creek or Lyndhurst on a Prado 150 litre tank with no problems.
For an interesting bit of variety at the northern end, turn off the Strz at Merty Merty, and take the Old Strzelecki into Innamincka - conditions permitting, it's more enjoyable than the main drag.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643171

Sponsored Links