What is the purpose of the EO forum now?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 08:17
ThreadID: 145494 Views:3226 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
It's that time of the year when my EO membership is coming up.

I understand that EO's model is changing from what appeared to be advertising based on the forum to what now appears to be primarily based on the EO topo or traveller.

Now about half, of the forum threads are about mapping releases, bug reports and fixes.

While I have purchased the mapping I don't use it, and increasingly I find myself paying an annual fee to have access to a support page for a product I don't use. The focus of the forum is increasingly to support users with issues and questions. It has almost morphed into a support forum.

I would love to see the forum dedicated to travel and sharing information about places etc like it used to be.

I urge EO to consider making the two purposes separate, with a dedicated support page so non-map customers aren't being abandoned totally.

Please

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: NichBails - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 08:49

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 08:49
Great idea - I agree. Seperate into "Support" and Travel.
I often use the forum for both reasons and it would be good to have a seperate support forum.
Australia we love

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643220

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:54

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:54
I feel similarly to NichBails & would support the idea of separation whilst maintaining access to both, & would appreciate hearing Michelle & David's thoughts on this..
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 922858

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:13

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:13
Could not agree more Tony.

Every second post is about people problems with the new app and has long and truely gone away from the forum it once was.

You will find for that very reason, many people are jointing better groups of Facebook, and there are dozens to choose from on every possible topic.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643222

Reply By: Mikee5 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:42

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:42
I still look, and am continually disappointed. We went to the St George get together many years ago and had a ball. Almost all of those characters have left or sit silently on the side. Remember Friday Funnies? Then it got politically correct and more seriously monetised.
AnswerID: 643223

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 21:10

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 21:10
Nope don’t agree

Since the release of V8 xxx & EOTopo 2023 there has been a lot more of what you are suggesting, prior to that, posts had dropped away considerably. When ever there is a major update, of course there will be more traffic.

ExplorOz Traveller questions, on the the ExplorOz forum, on the ExplorOz website, don’t see or have problem with that. I only read what interests me.

That said, I do see where your coming from, but don’t see it as an issue, things will settle down.

Non map users abandoned, seriously, bit harsh.

Do like the idea of a separate page for EO Traveller as suggested, wouldn’t have to put up with the belly achers . LOL

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643238

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 22:44

Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 22:44
I agree, to me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.
FollowupID: 922883

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 07:31

Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 07:31
Tony, I tend to agree with you, but have a question, why do you not use the mapping? Just curious. TIA.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643240

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 08:51

Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 08:51
TBH I have found it to be too buggy, and difficult to understand, I use windows and Android and don't feel I should pay twice for the licence, and I can not import other maps ( I scan and use old paper maps). Perhaps that is just me. Lastly, I like to buy maps and own them, not be forced to pay annually or have them end of life. I much prefer Memory Maps which is rock solid and very flexible. I can use the software and maps on any platform, I use windows, Apple and Android. I just pay once in MM.

I bought the map and tried it a few times.

That is a personal expereince. I am sure it is fantastic for others.

FollowupID: 922865

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 09:25

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 09:25
'Lastly, I like to buy maps and own them, not be forced to pay annually or have them end of life.'
As an ex member I agree.
FollowupID: 922885

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:09

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:09
Printed maps are out of date before you even buy them. Electronic maps are being updated regularly as false data is corrected and new data is added.
FollowupID: 922887

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:27
Old maps are great maps - most would be surprised just how much modern maps leave off important data from older maps.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922888

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:40

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:40
In most of the areas out of suburbia the maps from one year to the next don't significantly change.
In the built up areas a new map on a regular basis is needed, not so 'out there.'
FollowupID: 922889

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 16:51

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 16:51
I recently had a look at Memory Maps and OziExplorer, both look capable and flexible products. If one wanted to spend the time creating/curating/searching out maps, I think they would be very attractive products. Around the time I retired I was dabbling in QGIS/Google Earth to plot sampling sites for project review and creation of diagrams for publication. The learning curve is steep, it was explained to me that to be a proficient user of products like MS Word and Excel you need to know around 20 commands, for a GIS package it's more like 100, otherwise you are essentially blundering around, about my level of expertise at the time. The one thing I would like to do is use Google Earth to download satellite images to create maps that overlay topographic features. It can be done, our GIS operators did it at work for a project in Brunei. I could probably do it if I spent some long hours at RTFM of the packages, but for me therein lies the beauty of EO Traveller, while not a perfect product, it is a well researched and convenient package, and I don't wish to become a GIS jockey in retirement.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 922891

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 08:55

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 08:55
As Tony said, one of the attractions of Memory Maps is that you can use it across multiple platforms at no additional cost. I haven't needed to become a "GIS jockey" in order to use it, although I gather you could if that floated your boat. I installed MM as a vehicle for using the HEMA maps alongside Traveller. The big advantage of Traveller with the vector maps is that you can zoom right in without loss of resolution, but I don't entirely trust all the routes it shows, at least not on the 2021 maps, and so I prefer the HEMA maps for route selection and planning. Perhaps the 2023 maps will be better when I get around to purchasing them

A key advantage of MM+HEMA that has recently become apparent is that I'm unlikely to lose access to the maps I purchased due to software upgrades. I realise that the switch of EOT from raster to vector maps was a once-off major change, but I felt a lot of sympathy for the person who lost access to his 2019 maps because he wasn't warned not to upgrade to EOT V8. "No longer supported" isn't, or shouldn't be, "you can no longer use".
FollowupID: 922894

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 17:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2023 at 17:17
I think I understand about some aspects of the Traveller program being a bit tricky. Must say that I love drop down menus with headings that make sense to me . That being said, I understand that this Aussie production is brilliant for what it is, without the billions of dollars of Google and Apple for development.
There's very very little that I need that isn't available in the program and the EOTopo maps. And the program works quite brilliantly whilst driving, and the maps and detail are quite brilliant.

Meanwhile , back to the original poster's comments ; a flurry of queries is expected after a new download, and posters have been urged to use the "Help desk".
Hasn't bothered me one bit , and I see that posts on other topics are coming back. I do like to see all the posts, and choose what topics are of interest to me. Happy to help those with questions, even though there aren't many that I can give a sensible answer to.
Overall, I'm a very satisfied customer , and the quality is a bargain at the price we can access it.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643255

Reply By: nickb - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 01:17

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 01:17
A few years back there were some on this forum who seemed quite rude and know-it-all which does nothing to help the forum's cause. Seems to have settled down quite a bit now, can't remember the last time I have seen it which is great!

There were also a lot of people attacking others on their spelling/grammar, especially when it didn't affect how the post came across, which I reckon is ridiculous and ignorant. Not everyone can spell properly and some lack a formal education, maybe even just pressed the wrong keys. So as long as you can understand what they are saying there is no need to nit pick. Great way to discourage posting in my opinion.

Good manners is the difference between a good and bad forum, seems to be lost on some though.
AnswerID: 643258

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 08:58

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 08:58
Think you will find nitpick is one word. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 922895

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 09:15

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 09:15
David I thought it was spelt knitpick or is that only when you have needles? Lol

Agree with Nickb that there was a time where certain members were out of control with their poor behaviour
FollowupID: 922897

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 10:12

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 10:12
Ref. Dave) "Think you will find nitpick is one word. :)"

Ref. Alby) "I thought it was spelt knitpick or is that only when you have needles?"

Ref. Dictionary.com) "It was originally "nit-picky". But I don't want to be pedantic about it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922899

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 10:53

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 10:53
Nick,
With respect, I don't believe that "attacking" is the correct word for you to use, but if someone makes an error in expression about tyres, batteries etc. then it is usually corrected and debated ad infinitum, however pointing out the way in which a word should be spelled is treated like a dagger to the heart.
Why is it so terrible to try to assist someone that for instance he did not "brought" a new item but in fact "bought" it? If I inadvertently spell something incorrectly, and it is clearly not just a keying error, then I appreciate someone pointing it out to me.
From birth, language is learned by example and correction.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922901

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 13:41

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 13:41
Et sic pergit
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 922905

Follow Up By: nickb - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 23:25

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2023 at 23:25
Allan, maybe I should have used nitpicking! It's not terrible to assist but understand that people aren't here to get spelling and grammar lessons. Time and place for everything, online forums are places that use slang, shorthand or whatever (unless it's a spelling/grammar forum haha!!!) and 100% spelling and grammar is not a requirement.
Anyway, it's not the end of the world, just something I reckon that detracts from a forum.
FollowupID: 922912

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 06, 2023 at 17:32

Thursday, Apr 06, 2023 at 17:32
“It's not terrible to assist but understand that people aren't here to get spelling and grammar lessons.”

Yes, but if you use a spelling and grammar checker addon on your web browser you would overcome the problem and make your posts more readable.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922922

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Apr 07, 2023 at 09:22

Friday, Apr 07, 2023 at 09:22
These days for news and social media /forums I mostly use the phone, relegating computer use to Lightroom/Photoshop, trip planning and purchases or bookings where you need to be sure of times and dates and there isn't a dedicated app. I find it's much easier to muck up your writing when typing with two thumbs on a small screen and much more tedious to edit a post. While I try to keep the grammar and spelling correct, I've always considered forums as more the place for the spoken vernacular, rather than the stricter constraints of the written word. If you are trying to explain a technique, process or problem you need to be more precise in your words, but otherwise I reckon campfire lingo minus the expletives is fine.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 922924

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Apr 07, 2023 at 22:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2023 at 22:00
Well incorrect spelling or grammar certainly increases the post count. :-)
FollowupID: 922936

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, Apr 08, 2023 at 15:22

Saturday, Apr 08, 2023 at 15:22
I agree with Tony,s suggestion. Personally i also would like all posts about 'TravelIer' moved to another page as its totally overtaking this Forum . Having purchased Traveller and having many reliability issues i no longer use it. I would consider purchasing the 2023 maps if they were available in Ozf4 format for Oziexplorer or in Geotiff for the fabulous new Memory map app.
AnswerID: 643286

Reply By: Member - Stefan F2 - Saturday, Apr 08, 2023 at 15:44

Saturday, Apr 08, 2023 at 15:44
completely agree with Tony, to be honest I found FB forum way easier for support as it’s often much easier to post a quick video of the issue than trying to explain in words in a cumbersome forum or help desk.

I recon EO website and forum which is decades old and not very user friendly is obsolete there are way better and more active forums on FB for any subject .

The banning of support via the FB forum I can only see as an attempt to not air the many issues in the open.

I pretty much also stopped using EOT beside for reference when I need a second or third map opinion as it has let me down to many times over past 12 month. I did purchase 2023 maps but when comparing hardly worth it for me as I don’t need more accurate contours lines, I actually find 2022 maps better readable.

AnswerID: 643287

Reply By: Allan L1 - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:41

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:41
Couldn't agree more Tony. Didn't renew my membership this year. I used to follow the forum almost daily & found it extremely helpful. Today is the first time I've looked at the site for several weeks.

Allan.
AnswerID: 643297

Sponsored Links