Off Road Vehicles

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:16
ThreadID: 145495 Views:1593 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering purchasing a 'truly' OFF ROAD caravan and suitable/reliable tow vehicle 2/4 persons single/double axle etc - not pop top
any advice would be welcome as to manufacturers etc
I believe many are sold as off road but not suitable for the purpose
I have a budget of $100,000
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:26

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:26
Give us an example of where this "off road" rig would need to go.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643221

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:48

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:48
I was thinking same as Peter.
'Truly off road' *for you* needs to be defined in order to provide a useful answer.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922857

Reply By: Member - "Simba" - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:50

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:50
thanks for your replies, I'm a bit new at this forum/thread thing but have done some reasonably serious off road trips in my previous 1990 LandCruiser - examples -
Kalgoorlie to Rowlena, Mt Augusta National Park, the Kimberleys - and have travelled the Gibb River Road - is that of any help - I would hope to repeat these again
AnswerID: 643224

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 14:46

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 14:46
My (biased) view is that the more "off road" you wish to go, the less you should consider towing anything. Towing is a major restriction.
Towing across the Simpson (for instance) should be banned in my view (and maybe will be in the future).
Then again, I do not consider the routes you mention to be "off road" but are better described as "rough road" and pretty much anything will be OK provided it is put together well and has a decent suspension and appropriate tyres.
If you have to tow, keep it short, light and narrow with a single axle. I would use a conventional axle with longer than normal leaf springs and dampers for simplicity and reliability with the best roll centre. Wheels and tyres should be 100% interchangeable with the tow vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643226

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 08:02

Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 08:02
I pretty much agree with Peter.

Folk with well suspended small camper trailers & a lightweight well set up tow vehicle are no problem across the Simpson - according to many fellow owners of Tvans. Nevertheless I choose not to try as our tow vehicle doesn't 'qualify' as lightweight, & whilst I am confident it would get us across, I'm not sure I would enjoy it.

But back on topic :) essentially the more 'off road you go, the smaller any 'towed accommodation needs to be. Rough road driving as Peter describes is different & quite manageable if 'driving to conditions' with a well built unit which isn't going to shake itself to pieces. Look for glued & screwed cabinetry rather than stapled for example, & effective under body protection of vulnerable pipes etc. Most important is the suspension. Peter's recommendation of long springs with shock absorbers (on a single axle) is ideal, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find vans with long springs. If you do find one it is likely to be well set up in other ways too. (for rough roads).

If you think that with your experience that you may want to get a bit more adventurous & explore a few of the tighter gnarlier tracks (not necessarily 'hard core) where you need for example to negotiate tight tracks between trees, or cross steep/narrow dips/gullies etc then you would need to be looking at smaller towed accommodation with good ground clearance, like the list of poptops posted by Mark. I would add that in terms of the 'most capable' off road towed accomodation Tvan, Ultimate & Vista Crossover are about as good as you can get. Kimberley Karavans (hard top pop tops) are also up there in terms of capability whilst providing indoor cooking & dining without canvas.

All that said, & based on almost 6 years of towing a Tvan over a lot of rough roads/4wd tracks quite successfully, I would still say that my preference would be not to tow at all. But we do because it enables us to not only get off the beaten track, but to stay off the beaten track for lengthy periods which we love in a way that a solo vehicle (with the exception of truck based campers) does not allow. (Storage space).

When it comes down to it, once build quality is assured, the decision rests on 'comfort & convenience' vs accessibility to where you want to go with many permutations of this compromise leaning one way or the other.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922864

Reply By: Member - "Simba" - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 15:19

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 15:19
It may be biased ??, but makes a lot of sense - I appreciate your input, thank you Peter (and 'rough road' may indeed be a better description)
AnswerID: 643229

Reply By: 1296 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 18:45

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 18:45
Try Nova Caravans Terra Sports, we have one on order ??
AnswerID: 643232

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 02, 2023 at 19:12
More details?.... How many persons will it be required to sleep?...
Do you need a shower (internal/ external?)?
As you are in WA does it need to be fully self contained which means a grey water tank? ......
Toilet system, black water tank required? .........
What do you tow with?....
Weight yet strength is crucial, to look after your tow vehicle I wouldn't be considering much more than 2.5T max gross/ATM weight for most vehicles , I wouldn't tow anywhere near the vehicle rated tow capacity or GCM, but plenty of people want luxury and space and tow Bushtrackers & Kedrons etc.
I can't believe the number of people who tow these monoliths to beautiful remote locations to then sit inside them for much of the day. May as well go to the local caravan park and do it.

If you need grey and black water tanks, internal shower, sub 2.5T max. Gross weight and rigid/no pop top look at Zone and AOR 2nd hand with that budget.
Don't discount some of the pop tops like AOR, Rhinomax, Complete Campsite, they are dust free. Also consider Kimberley Karavan, a type of pop top but it has huge weight savings and incredibly capable off road.
Above all make sure it's from an Australian manufacturer as no van is infallible and sooner or later if you use it extensively on rough roads, something will fail and you will need support with parts and know how.
Glad you have a realistic budget, you will still be looking 2nd hand

AnswerID: 643233

Follow Up By: Member - "Simba" - Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 10:23

Monday, Apr 03, 2023 at 10:23
Peter, Cuppa and Mark, a lot of very useful information for me to digest, thank you for your input
FollowupID: 922866

Sponsored Links